Reading the Second Chronicles

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Reading the Second Chronicles

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Hi,

I am currently reading The One Tree, and I have to say that the second chronicles have blown my mind so far. I didn't expect to enjoy the second trilogy more than the first, but I am enjoying it more so far. I am only within the first several chapters, and I the adventure aboard the ship is very entertaining. I have heard from reviews of this novel that it is one of the most depressing books in the entire series. I am (strangely) looking forward to getting absolutely crushed, just like I was crushed after reading the end of the Illearth War.

The scene in TWL when the Clave is doing the Soothtell is definitely one of my favorite scenes so far in the entire series. I like how Covenant was receiving images of what happened to the Land after his initial victory over Foul while the image of the Staff of Law kept superposing itself over the images periodically. It had a cinematic feel when I was reading this. It was also quite sad. Then the subsequent scene of Covenant going postal on the Clave members was awesome...

It seems that the character of Linden Avery is pretty polarizing to fans of these books, although I am enjoying her so far. She is very much like Covenant in many ways, and their interactions help heal each other emotionally. It is very potent and gives me closure that the first chronicles never delivered at the end, namely Covenant still being a very damaged person despite saving the Land. He potentially had someone to satisfy his emotional needs (Elena) but ended up losing her. At least Linden provides him with what he did not receive...

Anyway, it is getting late, and my thoughts are kind of jumbled. I just wanted to say that these books continue to amaze me.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Personally the Second Chronicles were my favourite. It's the Chronicles I've reread the most by far. Linden is a big part of why I loved it; the dynamic between her and Covenant is really sweet to read.

tbh, I can't speak for myself, but I didn't have a problem with Linden until the Last Chronicles. That's for another time however ;)

Enjoy the rest Nanothnir! I hope you love the books as much as I do when you're finished. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Liking the Second Chronicles better puts you in a good and large company.

When you're ready, join Linden's Army. Just go to the Store, and enter The Which Watch Wrist Watch Shop.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

wayfriend wrote:Liking the Second Chronicles better puts you in a good and large company.

When you're ready, join Linden's Army. Just go to the Store, and enter The Which Watch Wrist Watch Shop.
Oh I'm part of Linden's Army for the Second Chronicles...

as for the third.. tbh I didn't like the book series as whole.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I'm glad you're liking the 2nd Chronicles, or as some have called it, "The Chronicles of Linden Avery" ;) I'm definitely a big fan, and it is my favorite installment.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I'm a good ways through TOT right now. I would have it read if it weren't for being busy. I did risk a sneak peak at some of the first chapters of The Runes of the Earth (just to gauge how interested I might be in starting the Third Chronicles right after I finish the second), and the story is kind of weird compared to other Covenant books.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”