The Gap Series; first reading!

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Gap Series; first reading!

Post by peter »

After a looooooong hiatus I'm finally picking up the series from effectively book one - Forbidden Knowledge.
I read TRS some (gosh what?) fifteen plus plus years ago, and while I was mildly interested by it, I was by no means swept away. I've since then heard some of you guys extolling it and thought that it might be worth a further foray. I'm now about a third into FK, and again, am mildly interested - but not bowled away. It's all a bit too much about Morn getting laid/raped/freaked out/pregnant to date; there isn't much character building or world building to date and I think I might be going to struggle. Hopefully the Angus chapter I've just reached will improve matters.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Great Pete .. but slow down a tad and join the group read .. so far the first three chapters are up for discussion and we are on the way to the fourth chapter .. do join us. Here is the link

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=62

Be interested to read your take on it. TBH its not the best sci fi ever written .. but its an interesting enough story. Donaldson has an intricate sci fi tech narrative .. some of the story I think are gratuitous and unnecessary. But lets chat about it in the group dissection.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Don't worry--by the time they get to Billingate the pace will increase.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Will certainly partake in the group read Sky - trouble is I'm a shocker for reading more than one book simultaneously. Already a library reservation I've made has arrived and due to time constraints on my loan period I've had to put FK down while I read it. The group read would need to be progressing at a pretty relaxed pace for me to be part of it. But yes - I'll definitely get over there and see how it works!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

FK is probably my least favourite of the books. From book 3, things really start to pcik up. And I'm actually a big fan of TRS. I think it's a hell of a clever story. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Good Pete wander on over
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I personally think you should start from the very beginning - the Real Story - and go from there. The Gap doesn't seem to be for everyone, but I can't understand that sentiment. :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

peter wrote:Will certainly partake in the group read Sky - trouble is I'm a shocker for reading more than one book simultaneously. Already a library reservation I've made has arrived and due to time constraints on my loan period I've had to put FK down while I read it. The group read would need to be progressing at a pretty relaxed pace for me to be part of it. But yes - I'll definitely get over there and see how it works!
Please DO feel free to join in the discussions, Pete, as Sky says! We're only four chapters into the book Forbidden Knowledge, so far.

Return to “The Gap Series”