Lord's Robes

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Rebecca Maness
Servant of the Land

Lord's Robes

Post by Rebecca Maness »

(nevermind... found exactly what I needed. :biggrin: Any input valued however. )

Hi Everyone! :)

I'm planning a couple of pictures from The First Chronicles, and have come across an interesting design question. What did the Lord's robes look like?

A thick, blue, terry-cloth bathrobe is clearly wrong. But a 'wizard robe' such as Merlin also feels like a crime. I get the feeling it should feel more realistic-archaic.

Their robe almost has to be slit up the sides. Otherwise, they'd have to 'pick up their skirts' to run across a battlefield, ride a horse, etc. :lol: Now the robes could be cut above the knee, which would make them not particularly dramatic in battle.

I like the feel of this robe from Star Wars, though it is way too ornate. But it gives more of a fantasy-like feeling.

newsite.rebellegion.com/padme-amidala-e ... ight-gown/

So what do you think?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I can see Elena wearing something like that standing on the dais of the Close.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Rebecca Maness
Servant of the Land

Post by Rebecca Maness »

I found an image I like as a base-look, to design the Lord's robes from. It's just right: not too Jedi or too Sith or Dune... not Assassin but also not Merlin... :biggrin:

Some design changes planned. Different weight material. Then slit up the sides for movement, paired with soft-leather calf-height boots. I think it will look amazing.

Shame in the two paintings I have planned we'll only see it from the back. :(

Rebecca Maness
Servant of the Land

Post by Rebecca Maness »

Savor Dam wrote:I can see Elena wearing something like that standing on the dais of the Close.
I like the idea of more comfy or formal robes for different situations. I'd not really considered that before. Thank you! :)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I really love this image .. I think its perfect for battle and quests

I cant wait to see your next art work Rebecca :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think that the whole purpose of robes is to express "lordliness", so I wouldn't minimize them down to a waistcoat or anything like that. I think Jackson's Gandalf the White is a good place to start. This is pretty much in line with the image you found. Of course, you get to play around with a lot more color. :) Also check the Laborium for some other art with Lords, there're some good ideas.

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I always thought of their robes like bathrobes. :D
No seriously. Just something basic, no frills or details.
With something light underneath (underwearish)
I wish I imagined them wearing something like the pic you posted but nope.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I always thought of their robes like bathrobes. :D
Did they have fuzzy slippers, too? :D

To be fair, Darrell K. Sweet put everyone in a bathrobe, right on the cover. (They even look fuzzy!) But let's chalk that up to a lack of enthusiasm for the work.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

Yeah not a big fan of the Sweet ;) bath robes ๐Ÿ˜ฌ .. pretty sure I bought one of the kids a dressing gown identical to that one :lol:

I agree about the Lordliness thing actually .. but also think that putting a belt around not such an impediment to their lordly appearance. But I like your point a lot .. a bit of flowiness to their robes is what distinguishes them from other members of your party. So definitely something to consider Bec ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rebecca Maness
Servant of the Land

Post by Rebecca Maness »

Don't put 'em in blue Snuggies. Got it. :biggrin:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Funny you should mention that.

This is an old one:

See also: link
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

:D
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Savor Dam wrote:I can see Elena wearing something like that standing on the dais of the Close.
Don't be silly. She'd rather be butt-naked and throw herself at Thomas Covenant. Oh, Daddy!

-----

On a serious note, I always imagined the Lords' robes exactly like some generic fantasy Merlinesque blue robes.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Nanothnir wrote:On a serious note, I always imagined the Lords' robes exactly like some generic fantasy Merlinesque blue robes.
Because the Land deals with dreams there is always plenty of room for the suspension of disbelief. Logic and law can be bent and stretched to breaking point.
Lena dreamed of faraway Revelstone and Lordship. Isn't it possible she could be seen in the light of a rags to riches story.

The Illearth War was Troy's despair. Healing that despair would mean the mergence of both tales of Troy and Elena. The Ruins of the Southern Wastes are where that healing could be realized - reshaped into a place where Kings and Queens could live and rule again, in splendour.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Does anyone whos been around since SRD has been involved with the Watch .. and the perpetual interviews thingy .. what is SRDs take on the whole dream issue.

Cos to me its never been a dream .. TC has to come to terms with the Lands reality not the other way around. But am interested to know if that was not SRDs take on the chrons.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In the Gradual Interview, Stephen R Donaldson wrote:As Covenant becomes more and more engaged with and in the Land during the first "Chronicles," the question of whether or not the Land is "real" comes to matter less and less. Eventually he realizes that the Land's "reality" is not important at all: what *is* important is his love for the Land (and for Lena, and for Saltheart Foamfollower, and--if he were present--for Mhoram, and even for Bannor and the Ranyhyn). He learns to honor that part of himself which responds to, well, let's call it the iconography of the Land; and so he turns away from Despite. After that, questions of mere "reality" become trivial. So the story--at least in my mind--moves beyond those questions in "The Second Chronicles." As far as I can see, any attempt to interpret Linden's role, or Joan's, that doesn't take into account how Covenant's internal "reality" has changed can only sow confusion. In that sense, no, "The Last Chronicles" will not shed any more light on "is it all a dream?" than "The Second Chronicles" did. I left that issue behind decades ago.

(11/07/2005)
On this basis, I would say his take on the dream/reality issue is that you shouldn't bother to consider things in those terms, because he doesn't.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

So interesting that its not in issue .. and becomes irrelevant .. which although told not to bother .. makes me wonder even more :lol: ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to โ€œThe First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenantโ€