Schutzenfest Cincinnati (German festivals)

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Schutzenfest Cincinnati (German festivals)

Post by SoulBiter »

So I relocated to the Cincinnati area and this weekend went to my first Cinci German festival. Schutzenfest!!!

Lots of German beers (Heifenweizen, Dunkels, etc etc (spelling could be an issue) But also some really good Wursts, Brats, Metts etc etc along with some really good Sourkraut to go with it.

This festival was brought with the German immigrants of the late 1800's and has continued to this day. Polka dancing and other German dances, people in period costumes and a German band that sings songs that require audience participation and require lifting your Stein or beer glass in the air and repeat the music and drink a toast.

Octoberfest is the next big festival followed a month or so later by a festival called Donauschwaben. Apparently that one happens near my new residence so the family will be parking at my house.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to Ohio!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh that sounds fabulous SB .. sounds sooo much fun ..

I love Octoberfests .. but theyre not as good as they used to be .. theyve kinda caught on and are sooo commercial now .. where in the past food and beer were reasonably priced .. now everything is over priced

.. which being a stingy scot .. grinds my gears :P

And ..drinking games, songs etc. Did you dress up also? Id definitely be into that too .. a little yodelling, a little laderhosen slapping .. sounds like a fabulous Schutzenfest.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Note to self...

Remember forum pushing on FB works. ;)

Sounds like a fabulous time, Soul Biter!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Skyweir wrote:Oh that sounds fabulous SB .. sounds sooo much fun ..

I love Octoberfests .. but theyre not as good as they used to be .. theyve kinda caught on and are sooo commercial now .. where in the past food and beer were reasonably priced .. now everything is over priced

.. which being a stingy scot .. grinds my gears :P

And ..drinking games, songs etc. Did you dress up also? Id definitely be into that too .. a little yodelling, a little laderhosen slapping .. sounds like a fabulous Schutzenfest.
I did not dress up but many had their laderhosen and such on. The beer was fairly priced and the food was pretty inexpensive as far as I'm concerned. $3 US to get in so the price for entry was inexpensive as well.

I cant wait to see what Octoberfest brings.

Also around here, I find that there are many festivals in this area.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Probably as close to festivals in Germany as the Buffalo Bill shows we get over here are to real American life.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Sounds about right VAder .. lol

SB .. youd be lucky to get an aussie snag in a slice of bread for 3 bucks here. And as an entry price that's pretty awesome.

Here to give you a comparison .. a pint of beer here is about 8 to 9 dollars .. yep just a standard pint. And at some outside events you can pay even more .. which is pretty pissy in my view.

Food at an outdoor even like Octoberfest ranges from about 6 dollars for something uber basic to about 8 to 9 dollars for a burger .. and that's not bad .. to up to 30 bucks for a more meal type dish.

But then coffees run about 4-6 dollars here too .. so theres that ;) :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Vader wrote:Probably as close to festivals in Germany as the Buffalo Bill shows we get over here are to real American life.
Possibly but the German influence in this area is easy to see and German food and beer is very popular in this part of Cincinnati.

germaniasociety.com/oktoberfest/
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

SoulBiter wrote:
Vader wrote:Probably as close to festivals in Germany as the Buffalo Bill shows we get over here are to real American life.
Possibly but the German influence in this area is easy to see and German food and beer is very popular in this part of Cincinnati.

germaniasociety.com/oktoberfest/
Change "German" to "Bavarian" and I agree. It's one state out of 16 and they have all the umpty-dumpty-music, "Lederhosen" and "Bier-Steins" you ever wanted - if only for the tourists. The rest of this country acts normal. Can't stand Bavaria because they're reputation makes all of us look stupid. However still better than being portrayed as blond nazis.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.

Return to “The Galley”