Prince Bifalt VS Boromir

Book One of The Great God's War trilogy

Moderator: Savor Dam

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Prince Bifalt VS Boromir

Post by drew »

I couldn't help but notice similarities between Prince Bifalt and Boromir (from LOTR)

Other than the fact that they're both princes, and both sent on a quest from their father that would hopefully turn the tide of war, there were some similar character development.

When Bifalt finally got to the repository, and confessed about how much he hated sorcery, but was trying to justify using sorcery against Amika; was akin to Boromir wanting to use the One Ring against Sauran. When he accused to Librarian of working with Amika, was similar to Boromir raging against Frodo for wanting to destroy the ring.

In the end, both characters saw the flaw in their actions and were willing to change their course of action.

Maybe it was intentional from SRD... Maybe I'm reading too much into it, as I recently rewatched LOTR!

... Thoughts??
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That's a pretty keen observation. Well done.

My immediate thoughts are this: To some extent, any soldier - or at least the ones motivated as a lord's son is motivated to win the war at any cost - might behave this way. It is, in the end, both merely tactical and merely callous. So the fact of their similarities is not shocking.

Another similarity might be that both Bifalt and Boromir are rather short-sighted, in that using "the weapon of the enemy" is more of a hazard than a boon.

BTW, I consider the interplay between Frodo, Aragorn, and Boromir through the latter half of FOTR to be one of the finest things in the movies. Regardless of whether or not it is cannon, it is brilliant.

Return to “Seventh Decimate”