The Umbrella Academy

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

wayfriend

The Umbrella Academy

Post by wayfriend »

I have watched 4 episodes of this series.

At this point, I can say why Netflix has dumped it's earlier Marvel offerings. Compared to UA, they are noticeably sub-par.

This series has great actors, great acting, great characters, great story lines, great story telling, great plots, great twists, great settings, and great CGI.

It reminds me more than anything else of The Watchmen. Developed characters with significant and differing issues. Origin stories for each one trickle in over time rather than all at once. And when it makes sense. Interpersonal struggles relating to an overarching save-the-world plot in an organic way.

Definitely the best Netflix ever did. Better than many Marvel movies, and holds its own with all of them. Recommend highly.

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DAmWHxeoKw

BTW, the music in the show is as good as the music in the trailer.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Watched the whole thing today and yesterday, and I really loved it. Great show all round.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I take it back. UC is a Dark Horse Comics property, not Marvel. So perhaps it represents Netflix moving away from properties that Disney is becoming more hard-handed with, but still advancing the genre on it's platform.

For which I am glad.

It's getting harder and harder to avoid spoilers about this show.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oooh awesome recommendation.. I will look out for it :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: The Umbrella Academy

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:I have watched 4 episodes of this series.

At this point, I can say why Netflix has dumped it's earlier Marvel offerings. Compared to UA, they are noticeably sub-par.

This series has great actors, great acting, great characters, great story lines, great story telling, great plots, great twists, great settings, and great CGI.

It reminds me more than anything else of The Watchmen. Developed characters with significant and differing issues. Origin stories for each one trickle in over time rather than all at once. And when it makes sense. Interpersonal struggles relating to an overarching save-the-world plot in an organic way.

Definitely the best Netflix ever did. Better than many Marvel movies, and holds its own with all of them. Recommend highly.

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DAmWHxeoKw

BTW, the music in the show is as good as the music in the trailer.
I just finished the last two episodes last night.
Wayfriend, you summed it all up perfectly!
The last 15 minutes of the last episode is probably the best thing I've every seen, loved it, loved it, loved it.
And yes, the music is awesome too.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I'm on episode 8, and I've enjoyed it somewhat so far, but I still haven't understood the hype yet. I've found it more predictable than I thought I would, and while there are some characters I love (namely Klaus, Hazel & Cha Cha), it's still not quite pushed me into the love yet, but maybe I'll eat these words at the end.
It just feels a bit Legion-lite. With some Heroes thrown in for good measure. I absolutely am in love with Legion, and can't wait for season 3, but I get that it is frequently inaccessible. UA is a bit of a comfy chair. UA is to Harry Potter as Legion is to Finnegan's Wake. Or maybe Ulysses is more apt. Sorry to get all pretentious.
I really hope it surprises me in the end. And yes, Watchmen is a good comparison since we are definitely seeing their deep, deep flaws.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Ok, I finished it this weekend, and yeah, my opinion didn't change. Pretty much the ending I was anticipating after a certain point. Meh. Wanted it to be better, but it was good. Absolutely love Hazel though. He might be the main reason I would come back for a second season.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cagliostro wrote:Pretty much the ending I was anticipating after a certain point.
Well, shave my head and call me Telly, but I don't believe that.
Spoiler
You could sorta see that Vanya was going to initiate the apocolypse. But I don't see how you could guess that they would not avert it. Or destroy the moon.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Spoiler
Destroy the moon, no. Cause the apocalypse, yes, from the moment she started bending things in the street. And that they would not avert it, there were enough clues and enough people behind the scenes trying to make it happen and saying it would happen, and because of time travel they would escape to try again, setting the stage for season 2. I didn't think she would disable what's her name's power by nearly killing her, and I was a little disappointed with the writers that they didn't kill her off, but it led to the amazing scene (even if a little contrived with the dropping of the notebook) in the phone booth, so I'm ok with it.
I don't think I'm any kind of genius, but they did broadcast some of it a little, and the last 15 minutes comment here did make me expect the unexpected, to be honest. So maybe I had an unfair advantage.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
High Lord Tolkien

All three seasons were great.
Even the soundtrack songs are really good.
Can't wait for Season 4.

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I gotta admit, the cliffhanger at the end of Season 2 looked like a dead end story-wise. I couldn't imagine how they'd write their way out of that. But they did.

Now the cliffhanger at the end of Season 3 has me worried. It has a whole Last-Season-of-Lost vibe.
High Lord Tolkien

Yeah, I really have no idea where they're going with this.

And wtf is the whole thing about [spoiler]the Father being an alien????[/spoiler]

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Loved the third season. The absolute bizarrness of it all.

Yes, HLT, wtf!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I've read the graphic novels.
But it has been awhile.

Still don't have the cable set up.
But this series sounds good.