A Wienne Rides Through the Mirror-The Armigrite

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

danlo
Lord

A Wienne Rides Through the Mirror-The Armigrite

Post by danlo »

:D No this doesn't have anything 2 do w/Eremis! 8O 8) but actually it might... I am attempting to write some short stories on a proposed Mordant's Need Vol. III. I welcome all ideas! It involves The Armigrite!!! 8O 8O 8O I have been bouncing ideas off Sky, and others, on Instant Messenger. Basically the Armigrite, deep in humiliation and revenge, plots 2 steal Emeris' body and "unfreeze" him--finding some way 2 either get ahold of a rouge imager in Mordant or heal him so they can set up shop in another dimension, possibly our Earth and attack Mordant from there. More 2 come...
Last edited by danlo on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

You know what I was thinking for a continuation?

What about an apt of Eremis/Gilbur/Vagel that didn't get captured by King Joyse's army?

Then I see the Armigrite hiding this apt with the intention of betraying him later so that the Armigrite can be seen as a hero and redeem himself. But the apt becomes more powerful than the Armigrite can imagine and ends up enslaving the Armigrite. King Joyse could be dead, then you have a new threat that Mordant must face without their "Hero King."

So we have a villan, an unintended traitor, and now we need a hero?

hmmmm?
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Cool ideals LG! Darsint and Artagel, and maybe a dying Havelock figure in2 the list of possible heroes--but Torrent could emerge as the real hero!!!
What about this: Geraden and Terisa give birth 2 a strange and talented baby! With Quiss and Master Barsonage tending 2 the child's developement it could become an awesome character. With some pretty cool uncles 2 boot! (especially Nyle)
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

I like the idea of skipping a generation or two. Then you have a whole new set of characters with new perspectives. We could have a few old timers but I thing the next generation would be a better story.

I see Teresa and Geraden's grandchildren taking on a new evil. Imagine the branches in the family trees that you could come up with if you just extended things a bit. What about a decendent of Elega and Kragen trying to take over all of Mordant and Alend, claiming the right because of his heritage? Maybe he could have a renegade Imager or two? You can have Nyle as the aged Alend Monarch and he has a new Contender? (maybe one of his nephews? One of Teresa and Geraden's kids?)

I see grand things for Torrent. Sort of like Queen Elisabeth. The queen that everyone would die for. Although the story would revolve around maybe her successors? A son maybe?

aaahhh...my mind's a buzzz now...see what you started?
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

M'lord & Lady...

I would like to thank you for now forcing me to read three books simultaneously.

I couldn't stop reading TCTC, so I'm 3/4 way thru TPTP, I am participating in the dissection and now I will have to re-read Mordant's need, because I can't remember the characters clearly (only read it 6 months ago)! 8O

(Plus I just finished Tad Williams Dragonbone Chair serieslast month before finding KW)

Ahh the trials of a new watchperson.... :D :wink: 8)
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

Way to go Earthblood! Talk about multitasking! I just started TIW... I just can't hang at that 2 chapter's a week pace...I am to impatient to get to the rest of the story. Makes it hard to stay on topic with the group read though.

Maybe we could do a mini group read with MN? I'm game if you want to start something.
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I actually was going to start MN before TCTC, but decided on the Chronicles, which led to my discovery of KW. I could probly do it.....
*earthy mulls the possilities*
Don't be surprised if I start wondering why Terisa wouldn't help Linden when TC got bit by a raver & Geraden got captured by the Clave....

Nahhh, I'll be able to keep them straight! :wink:

(And Danlo asked me if I was interested in starting a Tad Williams disc of Memory Sorrow & Thorn in the Hangar...5 at once hmmmm :roll: )
"You're afraid of yourself."
Director Dios

Mordant Sequels

Post by Director Dios »

GREAT ideas you guys...all of you! I will have to give this some thought. I really like the idea regarding the return or Eremis, who's to say HOW LONG he remains "frozen" in translation - He could be introduced at any time in Mordant's future (or with the use of mirrors....it's PAST) Wow, there's an idea, a prequel with characters from the 'present' Mordant, translating back and forth in time with the use of a Flat Mirror. - Well I'm just gonna drive myself into a frenzy if I don't stop. But I LOVE this THREAD! Keep the ideas coming...Maybe SRD is watching and something will inspire him.
Ellester
Stonedownor

Re: Mordant Sequels

Post by Ellester »

Director Dios wrote:GREAT ideas you guys...all of you! I will have to give this some thought. I really like the idea regarding the return or Eremis, who's to say HOW LONG he remains "frozen" in translation - He could be introduced at any time in Mordant's future (or with the use of mirrors....it's PAST) Wow, there's an idea, a prequel with characters from the 'present' Mordant, translating back and forth in time with the use of a Flat Mirror. - Well I'm just gonna drive myself into a frenzy if I don't stop. But I LOVE this THREAD! Keep the ideas coming...Maybe SRD is watching and something will inspire him.
I think an Ermis return might be possible, but I believe another book would have to be done at a later time. After, the whole King Joyse deal, all three kingdoms are now under Joyse's family and you are given the impression that everybody lived happily ever after. I don't see another vile plot cropping up in King Joyse's time, at least nothing in grand as a scale as the first two books. I think it would need to be done at a later date to be believable.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Welcome Ellester! Thank u 4 posting in the recently neglected MN forum! I would have to agree with you, 2 some extent. Your arguement backs up Lady Genni's nicely. I, 4 one, would like 2 see something out of the blue or something from the Armigrite spoil the happily ever after. Yes it is rare in Donaldson's style 2 have a happy ending-rather than an unfinished ending 2 the Chrons of T. Covenant or the bittersweet (emphasis on bitter) ending of the Crossing the Gap series. A prequel 2 MN might be an interesting thought.

It is difficult 2 keep possible MN ideas in one's head while re-reading Lord Foul's Bane 4 Dissecting the Land, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe 4 our group read at Ahira's Hangar and A Clash of Kings 4 personal enjoyment, all at the same time. But, I promise 2 b back soon with more thoughts on this topic!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

over tasked be damned!! .. lets do it!! I'm up for a group MN read!!

MN is one book that I never remember well .. it is unlike the chrons for me in that respect .. I would love to study MN more closely ..

and hear other points of view ..

When do we start????

<also wants to do the Lewis read on the Hangar>
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Mordant's Need

Post by DirectorDios »

Well call me stupid, but how exactly does one participate in a "Group Read" on line? - I assume we select a certain chapter(s) a week and then "discuss" it through the boards the following week? Is that pretty much it? Someone help out the moron here. - Whatever the case may be, I'm up for it! MN is my favorite SRD story. -

As for future stories of MN - How about the idea of the return of Eremis x-number of years later, who falls in league with (and subverts) the now King of the Mordant Kragen?

As an aside....HOW do you all suppose the word "Demesne" is intended to be pronounced?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That's pretty much it Warden!

Return to “Mordant's Need”