Site not secure, per Chrome

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Damelon
Lord

Site not secure, per Chrome

Post by Damelon »

Chrome warns me, while I'm on KW, that the site is not secure. I"ve noticed the message for the last few months. Is that something to be worried about?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Chrome now marks all unencrypted websites as 'not secure.'
Change took place last summer. All HTTP sites are flagged as not secure. HTTPS sites are unaffected.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Chrome is shiny.
That's all I have to offer.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The site certificate would be bad and give you a warning anyway.

This site IS insecure. Don't post your credit card number.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:The site certificate would be bad and give you a warning anyway.

This site IS insecure. Don't post your credit card number.
Whoopsy... :oops:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yeah, as SD said, all non-SSL sites will show a warning. Nothing to worry about. :D

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, the firewall at work won't let kevinswatch through any more. Probably cuz of the bad certificate. Not sure if I should ask for an exemption ... I don't really have a business purpose here. :wink:

So I have to turn WiFi off on my phone to post here now. Trouble is I always forget to to turn it back on.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:Well, the firewall at work won't let kevinswatch through any more. Probably cuz of the bad certificate. Not sure if I should ask for an exemption ... I don't really have a business purpose here. :wink:

So I have to turn WiFi off on my phone to post here now. Trouble is I always forget to to turn it back on.

There was a time (a long time ago) that Sonicwall firewalls blocked KW because the content was listed as "magic".

Which is true. :D

I was always able to whitelist it. I justified it because it was a resource to find answers. (there is a technology forum after all)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, it's not a bad certificate, so much as a non-existent one. :D

Sorry WF, probably not gonna be installing one any time soon.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well I asked our IT department and they told me that this site has been blacklisted by a third party firewall vendor, who they will not identify to me. (Big companies - amiright?)

Just passing it on.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I should add, none of the main security sites like Norton are reporting issues with this site. They still declare it "safe".

So I believe this is a content issue. Some corporate wonk deemed the site too contraversial or too unsafe for work or too big a liability. So they blacklisted it out of hand.

If so, that's plausible. Look at what gets posted here.

Anyway, this will reduce my activity to near zero.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Or my guess they decided it was too social-orientated. We have Facebook and Twitter blocked for that reason.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.

Post by Avatar »

Daily I'm glad for my job. Nothing is blocked here. (Of course, we work on social media etc. so they couldn't anyway...)

--A
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:I should add, none of the main security sites like Norton are reporting issues with this site. They still declare it "safe".

So I believe this is a content issue. Some corporate wonk deemed the site too contraversial or too unsafe for work or too big a liability. So they blacklisted it out of hand.

If so, that's plausible. Look at what gets posted here.

Anyway, this will reduce my activity to near zero.

https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

My understanding is that the blacklisting isn't really about KW, but is related to some other site hosted on ihugny. One bad apple spoiling the entire barrel.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Hi peeps... I finally started updating some of my knowledge about internet security this last summer...
(Disclaimer: some of the very people who already posted on this thread probably know a lot more than I do.)
...and then I realized that when someone first tries to connect to KW, our lack of SSL would be very discouraging.
(Like a big giant flashing warning and a yellow page far worse than a 404-not-found would discourage me if I didn't already have a connection to KW.)

So I was like "oh man. the site certificate warning is throttling us from getting new members."

and now it's affecting our peeps too...

I re-read the thread where Vain had been thinking about migrating to Vanilla boards.
It was a v. good idea, and he put in a lot of work.

Av was right; we needed SSL.
Vain did a bunch of work to migrate, and I wish I could go back in time and say "yes we want vanilla boards!"

but.. cant go back in time... wonder what will we do now?

wf- interesting.
I like how you were like, "Hrmmm. Wonder if I should ask for an exemption for KW."
And then three days later, "Here's what an IT guy said."
(KW <3!)

[Edit: changed some stuff in the two lines. didn't like my original tone... meh.]

Post by Avatar »

Sadly, it appears that the sheer size of our database makes it difficult to migrate for some reason, and for obvious reasons we're not keen on leaving behind all this history.

I'll drop Vain a mail about an SSL (he's been a bit distant lately though) and see what he says. You can get a free one, but they're only good for 90 days and have to be constantly renewed.

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

thank you for mentioning the 90 days thing, Av!
...that was not on my "radar."

Just wondering...
Are ssl licenses something where there's a "free version" and a "purchasable version"?
(and if so...) Is that piece of maintenance that needs done every 90 days (renewing the SSL license and w/e that entails) less troublesome if you have a purchased license?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Savor Dam wrote:My understanding is that the blacklisting isn't really about KW, but is related to some other site hosted on ihugny. One bad apple spoiling the entire barrel.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that Savor. I've found the collective noun for Fukups, it's KW Mods.

Welcome to the leper colony.

Post by Avatar »

Linna Heartbooger wrote:
Just wondering...
Yes, pretty much. The free version is a relatively new thing, paid ones are valid for a year before renewal is required, just like your domain.

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”