Heart of God: The Adventurers - Feedback & Interest

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Heart of God: The Adventurers - Feedback & Interest

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've spent the last couple of days coming up with the system for a new RPG set in the same world as Heart of God, as a kind of pseudo-continuation of the abandoned game. This is more of a traditional tabletop roleplaying game, with each player having a single character moving and acting within the world.

I've written up the system for how the game works here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iOE ... sp=sharing

Now I'd like some feedback on that document. If the game goes ahead I'll be recreating that information on the forums, as well as other threads as needed.

I want to know:
- Does this make sense?
- Is there anything missing?
- Does anything need further clarification or explanation?
- Are there any obvious flaws with the system?

I also want to know: Are you interested in playing this game?
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Seems interesting to me.

Just one question - I tried to look for it and probably missed it - but how does one know that some sort of final objective is met? Or theoretically you can play forever?

Meaning do you play until a certain level experience points, you reach some destination point or?

I am extremely unfamiliar with these type of expansive roleplaying type games so this next question may be rote for more experience RPG players but here it goes ----- With this much flexibility of adding moves, traits, etc - how does one keep track of what traits, types of moves, etc have been created? For example Johnny LongLegs thinks their character should have long jump giving them one more space per turn when activated. How do other players know and keep track of this new move? So Suzie QuickStep thinks she should have "access" to this type of move how does she even know it exists? Or if she knows it exists but five turns later she forgets - is there somewhere she can look to see that this special move exists?

I would not consider this "missing" but one possible idea is that near some "region" or "area" that the GM designates as "close" to the Heartland characters traits /experience points could be "enhanced". So JohnnyLongLegs instead of jumping one more space Johnny is near designated area and jumps ahead 3 spaces because of the uniqueness of the region he is in. This probably overly complicates the game - but just throwing it out there.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Ah well, it's in the nature of these things to be fairly exploratory and open, with the actions of the characters dictating some of the story direction, while of course the GM will be trying to provide objectives and encounters to keep it interesting and move things along. In this case the hope would be ultimately for the characters to breach the Temple of Light in the City of Angels and discover the Heart of God, but how that happens nobody can know until it happens. It's possible the players might just decide to ignore everything and faff about instead, which might not provide the most satisfying story but whatever, so long as they're enjoying it. These things have the potential to run long.

As for the second part, there'll be character sheets everyone can look at that show the current stats and what moves and items everyone has.

One final thing, the game doesn't have "turns" or "spaces" per se, it's more free-form narrative roleplay. In that "long jump" idea, I'd say that would function perhaps as just a passive Move, not requiring a roll to use.

Hmm, actually I'm rethinking that. I may be noticing a problem in the stats we have here - they don't consider physical feats outside of combat. I made it the Combat stat because I thought Strength was too one-note (you don't have to be physically strong to fight well) but now I don't have something that could cover athleticism or, like, "hey could you move that big rock?".
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

What if I replace Combat with two stats: Power and Finesse? They're generic enough to be applied in a wide range of situations. But then I wonder if Finesse/Wit/Charisma has unnecessary overlap.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Finesse could be physical, wit/charisma are non-physical.

All looks good at first glance, suspect any kinks will show up in actual game-play.

Count me in if it goes live. :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've updated the guide with changes to the attributes. They're now Power, Finesse, Wit, Charm, and Faith. Related sections have also been updated.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”