The Amazing Johnathan Documentary

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Amazing Johnathan Documentary

Post by peter »

This well, documentary charts the final farewell tour of The Amazing Johnathan as he embarks, following a period of enforced retirement due to a diagnosis of terminal illness, on a series of five concerts in smallish venues around the US.

I'd never heard of him before seeing this movie, and have to say was not terribly enamored of the man I discovered, terminal illness notwithstanding. He seems to have made a career out of being nasty on stage - an 'alternative' magician I suppose you would call him - and fueled his way through it on a cocktail of drugs and alcohol which, even in the decline of his condition, he seems determined to stick with. He comes across as being a completely self centered individual who has little empathy with others and even less interest in developing any. The shenanigans portrayed in this documentary are presented as being for real - and for reasons of not spoiling the movie I'm not going to go into them - but I have my doubts. The highly respected producer of the award winning documentary Man on Wire seems to have been roped into this at some point (and in a nebulous way to say the least) in order to give it credibility, and while the unfolding events have a sort of morbid fascination to them, the characters involved leave one feeling that it's all a bit grubby. One comes away feeling slightly soiled, not knowing to what extent one is being made a monkey of.

Watch this if you have a particular liking for documentaries, as an excercise in seeing how the line between truth and fiction can be blurred by those with a mind to hoodwink on a level further away from that which it appears. It's interesting to a point - not massively entertaining, but interesting nevertheless.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”