Can the MCU duplicate it's Avengers Infinity War success?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The short answer is no.

The original Avengers film was noteworthy due to its unique team up aspects. Since a first cannot be a first a second time Marvel will not be able to rely on that scenario alone to generate interest in a second event film.

In addition there is no one, present or future that can replace the unbridled charisma of Robert Downey Jr. no matter how much the studio tries to showcase it's remaining and future actors.

A Shang-chi / Eternals team up film doesn't fill one with heart pounding anticipation.

Even if Marvel properly develops a Fantastic Four and an X-Men film series it is hard to imagine a, say Galactus event film surpassing what has gone before.

However I would like to be wrong about everything I just wrote.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

No, of course not.

Shang-Chi and Eternals team up? Why? On the other hand, I discounted Guardians when it was first teased, so....

The one I am most looking forward to is the next Doctor Strange because they want to make it a horror movie.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Everything that I am reading says that people are burning out on Superhero movies.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The post just above this one says that people are burning out on superhero movies
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Damn that Martin Scorsese. He made everyone wake up to the fact that these movies aren't quality art.
Of course I am kidding.
We are definitely going to see diminishing returns on these movies, but like anything else, well-made or at least fun movies are still going to find an audience. As long as the quality keeps up, they'll still continue to make bank. So far, there have been a few not so great films from Marvel, but by culling together the good into the bad, they've managed to keep thing a'rollin' (see the Thor movies). I believe I read that they are planning on pairing up Spiderman with Captain Marvel to boost viewership. While I liked the Captain Marvel movie, I definitely love the new Spiderman, and welcome the two of them together.
There are definitely some savvy minds at Marvel Studios. As long as they keep having hitmaking actors with the people whose storylines will serve the next Avengers (or Avenger's like culmination of characters), they will keep this gravy train on its tracks for the foreseeable future.
DC movies are definitely losing, and will continue to lose until they get some writers who know what they are doing. This next Wonder Woman should do fine, but that's about it.
While we could get in an argument over which studio is working with the stronger characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman vs. Spidey, Hulk, and a whole bunch of characters the vast population mostly didn't know about until Iron Man came out), Marvel is definitely killing it with their smart writing, for the most part, and stronger talent involved. But they are also glutting the market, and have been for a while.
This reminds me of the music game competition on consoles and such. Guitar Hero glutted the market with a new release every year or twice a year, and Rock Band remained a bit more conservative. Rock Band was in it to stay, but Guitar Hero was in it to milk it dry and discard it. They popped back in briefly when Rock Band announced they were making another go of it, and failed miserably. Rock Band is still churning out the music, but scaled everything back to some degree. Strangely enough, Rocksmith, which uses real instruments, always kept everything pretty scaled back, and are still plugging along as well. But they could really use a new version to clean up their interface a bit.
Marvel is a bit GH that floods the market, but they are clever enough to plan for the future. DC just feels like it is trying to cash in, and are not pushing boundaries too hard (although Joker seems to be a step in the right direction, even though I haven't watched it yet). But then again, their characters are a bit of the old guard type superhero, and have been somewhat immune in the box office to re-invention. Marvel has the fresh faces, even though they aren't to anybody who knows something about comics. X-Men have been done, so Marvel incorporating them in is unknown, but I'm ready for another damn Deadpool offering, thank you very much. And coupled with Marvel, it should do well, if we are lucky enough.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The director for Doctor Strange just quit--or got fired--so no one is certain what will happen with that movie. Black Widow will do reasonably well, we will eventually get GotG3, and they are still moving forward with Black Panther 2, but I suspect the Captain America franchise is dead--no disrespect to Anthony Mackie or Sebastian Stan but they won't carry the franchise too well. Ant-Man and Wasp 3--maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Marvel's handful of golden years is over, at least until they manage to bring the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises fully back under their control via the movie rights.

If they wanted to do a sort of "Dark Avengers", though, they could put out a really good Ghost Rider movie (they can even use the Robbie Reyes character for him), then combined with the upcoming Morbius and a Blade reboot they have the core cast all set.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

The Morbius trailer looked great.

The rumored Sinister Six could be
A blockbuster.

The CW is doing great work with DC's
Superfriends...

The Eternals sounds intriguing.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'd be surprised if they were working this next phase towards a grand finale like they did with Endgame.
Maybe smaller arcs that combines smaller teams?

I wish they didn't limit the use/origin of cosmic power to the Stones.
Having the Collector and the Grand Master possess their own cosmic might (though far less then the Stones) would have been a good introduction to a lot of powerful characters.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Lets put it this way, I don't think MCU will go the same way as DCCU have gone even though some of the best people are being 'borrowed' by Star Wars.
Will there ever be another Infinity War Saga? Not sure. Thanos was amazing. So cool I am doing some clay head sculpts of him.

Last edited by darthbuzz on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Wow Darth - very impressive.

When is Namor finally going to.be introduced?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Thank you.
It will be great to see Namor. There are so many good characters to use but I fear that now some of our favorite heroes are gone for good the MCU will never be as good again.
But we were blessed with a brilliant 32 film saga. A series that will never be bettered imo.

(Give it a try) Whispered the Heart.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Movie-wise, Namor might actually be wrapped up in the Fantastic Four franchise so it is uncertain when we might see him. There is still talk of rebooting it under the auspices of the MCU but I don't know if that is just wishful thinking or serious gossip.

Truthfully, it's all downhill from here. We have a few wrap-up, post Infinity movies (GotG3, Dr. Strange 2, Black Panther 2) but everything else is "where do we go now?".

darthbuzz took Thanos' advice--he went for the head.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

darthbuzz took Thanos' advice--he went for the head.
[/color]
Lol. :lol: :biggrin: :lol:

And the long awaited Black Widow movie should be good.
The MCU has even lost Spiderman I think. Maybe one day the Fan4, x-men and Avengers will do battle against Justice League, Titans, et al.
We can only hope... miracles might happen.

The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Spiderman is somewhere in between the MCU and Sonyverse at this time... as is Morbius, given that we see Vulture in the trailer.

Ah, yes....Black Widow. The post-Infinity pre-Infinity movie, set after Civil War. Is she dead dead or is she just dead now?

Just out of curiosity....what is going to happen to the MCU's timeline stability now? The Ancient One told banner back in 2012 that the Stones maintained the timeline/reality...but Thanos used them to destroy themselves. Are they really destroyed and is that timeline free to be shifted and manipulated? Did the stones reform after Thanos thought he destroyed them? Of course, at least one version of the Tesseract still exists.....
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Just out of curiosity....what is going to happen to the MCU's timeline stability now? The Ancient One told banner back in 2012 that the Stones maintained the timeline/reality...but Thanos used them to destroy themselves. Are they really destroyed and is that timeline free to be shifted and manipulated? Did the stones reform after Thanos thought he destroyed them? Of course, at least one version of the Tesseract still exists.....[/color]
:goodpost:

I would be nice to think the stones still exist.
A new timeline where Loki wasn't captured in 2012 has definitely been created. Also when Captain America also says 'Hail Hydra'... new timeline. 8O
Also, in 2023 Cap tells his 2012 self that Bucky is still alive... new timeline. 8O

The other main change would be the lack of a Thanos, Nebula and Gamora after 2014 which dramatically alters the Guardians movies events. Another new timeline created. 8O At least there is a new Gamora in the new timeline. A little bit in love with Zoe Saldana. :loveyou:

One they may explore is the return of Cap. to the 1940's. I don't think we have seen the end of Captain America yet.

I love the idea of a multiverse and I could not have been explained better than in the brilliant Spiderverse but all these new timelines can lead off in all sort of directions.
Saldy, I don't think there is a timeline where Iron Man and Black Widow are still alive. :(

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

darthbuzz wrote:Saldy, I don't think there is a timeline where Iron Man and Black Widow are still alive. :(
There are the Secret Avengers! And we will be seeing Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings in 2021.
Those X-Men can do some pretty amazing things.
Sadly, Shang-Chi's father and arch-enemy Dr. Fu Manchu will be replaced by the Mandarin. But who knows, after the
uncompromising Logan maybe James Mangold (or even Todd Phillips Joker)
can do a grown up Fu Manchu film. I've always fancied the evil Doctor to be a lot like Lord Foul the Despiser.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

There is so much Marvel I have yet to learn about. A huge universe indeed.
I am going to watch all the x-men films soon, a couple not seen yet, but there are 2 alternate viewing orders which is quite confusing.

No.1]
X-Men: First Class
X-Men: Days of Future Past (past sequence)
3a. X-Men: Origins Wolverine
4a. X-Men
5a. X2: X-Men United
6a. X-Men: The Last Stand
7a. The Wolverine
8a. X-Men: Days of Future Past

No.2]
X-Men: First Class
X-Men: Days of Future Past (past sequence)
4b. X-Men: Apocalypse
5b. X-Men: Dark Phoenix
6b. Deadpool
7b. Deadpool 2
8b. Logan

Not sure why Dark Phoenix isn't in the first one. :? :roll:

Return to “Flicks”