Picard

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Avatar wrote:Nah, I think he's talking about the worm things coming through the portal.

(I haven't watched Discovery yet, is it worth it?)

--A
The first half season episodes are OK but the Klingons take some getting used to. Also the experiment drive is kinda hokey. About midway through the 1st season it got really good and very exciting. Season 2 was nothing less than amazing.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Nah, I think he's talking about the worm things coming through the portal.
Yes.
(I haven't watched Discovery yet, is it worth it?)
And yes. What SB said.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, will add it to my "Nothing To Do List" thanks.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Zarathustra wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:It would not hurt to watch these prior to Picard

The measure of a man
Best of both worlds pts 1 and 2
I, Borg
The last two episodes of STNG... sorry cant remember the name.
I think it was All Good Things Must Come To An End?
Are any of the TNG movies recommended after these episodes and before Picard?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Nemesis.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SoulBiter wrote:Nemesis.
Thank you.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Let me know as you watch some of this. Very excited to hear what you think as you go through this.

Dont wait too long to start watching limited time on free cbs all access.

Did you watch Discovery? If not binge watch it as well. Second season was phenomenal
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly has a friend who has this catalog on Plex and has shared it with her, so we are not going to be constrained by a free access period. Still, we have lots of time on our hands, so yes, we will definitely watch Picard and Discovery once we finish the precursors.

She, Dam-sel, and I have watched the six recommended ST:TNG episodes over the last two days, so we are ready for Nemesis...and then finally the content we are anticipating.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SD, Dam-sel, and I finished Picard today. I enjoyed it immensely, but I tend to not be super critical of entertainment.

I'll share with y'all the one comment I made to SD and Dam-sel at the end of episode 9. I think it was 9; the episode before the season finale.

The story arc reminded me quite blatantly of a two part Seth McFarland's The Orville story. I don't recall the episode title, or even which season it was. But the story had to do with returning the android officer to his home world, and the crew of The Orville discovering the android society committed mass genocide on the organics on their home world and their plan to destroy all organic life. It was a much more concise tale, but I still felt both had the same vibe, including Soji's decision to leave her home world to travel.

I will admit we all looked at each other as the finale progressed and asked, "another season is planned?" But, I had seen Sir Patrick ask Whoopi Goldberg to portray Guinan in season 2 when he was a guest on The View, so I knew something had to happen.
Spoiler
I just hope Sir Patrick will stay healthy to play how that was handled.

I got teary eyed at the "afterlife" scene. Although, that reminded me of the denouement of the entire Harry Potter series. Still, for Data to ask for, and be granted, "mortality," truly put me at peace with his story arc. It was a fitting request for the android who sought his humanity.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Now to start Discovery, as the Plex server I'm on has that as well.

Like Picard, are there any episodes of previous series, or movies, we should watch before jumping in?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Menolly wrote:Now to start Discovery, as the Plex server I'm on has that as well.

Like Picard, are there any episodes of previous series, or movies, we should watch before jumping in?
The Cage - Which is the pilot for Star Trek Original Series. You will be glad you did during Season 2 of Discovery.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SoulBiter wrote:
Menolly wrote:Now to start Discovery, as the Plex server I'm on has that as well.

The Cage - Which is the pilot for Star Trek Original Series. You will be glad you did during Season 2 of Discovery.
Thanks!

I've seen The Cage many a time, and remember it pretty well. But am unsure of SD'S and Dam-sel's recollection of it. I'm willing to watch it again, though.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Menolly,

I should have said "The Menagerie" rather than "The Cage". Both have some insight (since The Cage" is part of the "Menagerie") but the Menagerie is the one you really want to watch. Two part episode.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SoulBiter wrote:Menolly,

I should have said "The Menagerie" rather than "The Cage". Both have some insight (since The Cage" is part of the "Menagerie") but the Menagerie is the one you really want to watch. Two part episode.
I've seen both, but again, I don't know about SD and Dam-sel. Will probably recommend watching The Menagerie again, anyway.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Menolly wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:Menolly,

I've seen both, but again, I don't know about SD and Dam-sel. Will probably recommend watching The Menagerie again, anyway.
I would highly recommend it before Season 2 of Discovery. It will also be important to realize that Discovery is set a few years before Kirk takes over the Enterprise from Captain Pike, but sometime after the Enterprise with Pike commanding had left Talos IV.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I figured since you mentioned both, that Pike figured in somehow...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I don't see a Discovery thread here, so I'll continue to ask questions regarding it, and comment on it here, unless I'm directed elsewhere.

Watched the season 1 episode, "Choose Your Pain," and made note of the name of one of the Klingon prisoners. I recall the ST:TOS episode "Mudd's Women," but isn't there a prior episode which introduces Mudd? I'm having a heck of a time recalling which episode that was.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

There were only two episodes with him in it. Mudd's Women which was the first introduction to ST. Then "I Mudd".
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Ah, thank you.

So, I've lost my access to the file share server we were watching these shows on, so we'll have to stop midseason 1. I'll see if my library has Discovery on DVD, and put a hold on it for when they reopen, if so.

Do y'all recommend the Scott Bakula Enterprise? I haven't seen that either.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Enterprise was not my favorite of the ST universe. It took longer than most to really get rolling but the last couple of seasons made it worth it for the slow slog of the first couple of seasons.

Return to “TV Shows”