Picard

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Was surprisingly good to see Riker and Troi again, other than that wasn't my favourite episode, but certainly looks like things are picking up.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

After the fast paced previous episode, I like the slower paced episode this time. The ups and downs, the ebb and flow, I like how they allow this series to breathe.

I know it has been a long time and everyone ages but my God Riker and Troi looked awful.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Aging is a "beatch" . Surgery only makes it worse IMO. Marina, stay away from the plastic surgeon!!!

I know its different for some but for me, from 30 to 50 physically was not as obvious as from 50 - 57 has been. Johnathan Franks is 11 years older than I am so that makes him 68 (ish) and Marina Sirtis is 64.

From a Character perspective, I wonder if they show Riker that way purposely. To show that he has let go of the Persona of SF officer and has let himself go (to some extent) cause he doesnt care how he dresses of if his hair is cut or beard trimmed. Cause there is no reason otherwise that they couldnt have made him look younger just with a haircut and some hair color.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Post by Avatar »

Agree Riker looked a bit rough, (good point SB), but was nice to see Troi ageing gracefully. I also like how they are incorporating the characters natural ageing into the whole thing.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Picard - Episode 8 Broken Pieces.

Seems the series is hitting its stride. Are there some things that seem rushed or not rushed enough? Yes. But overall I am interested in the story line and where it goes from here. A lot is revealed in a short time in this episode.

Picard with Soji beam aboard the Rio's ship and he recognizes Soji. He agrees to take them to Starbase 12 and then they are on their own then disappears. During the episode we get his backstory and why he is no longer in SF.

He gets a secure channel to the CNC Clancy -and updates her, giving her his best "I told ya so". She drops another F bomb. I think I get this from them. You have had that person that just pushes your buttons making you get offensive or defensive right out of the gate? That is their relationship. She agrees to send a fleet due to the Romulans. He is to meet the fleet at Starbase 12

Switch to the cube and you have Elnor fighting off Romulans but getting captured (for a second) and Seven of Nine rescuing him. He gets her up to speed and they come up with a plan to take the cube back. She activates the cube repair mode and the cube starts repairing itself. The Romulan Narrisa is a Zhat Vash and she starts killing borg but one of the other Romulans tells her he knows how to eject them into space. Seven hooks herself up to the collective of the cube and activates the borg who are still there, however they all start getting ejected to space. She is able to get enough of them free to take down Narrisa but she escapes again by transport. Seven, disconnects from the Collective (but you can see that it was a gamble that she would be able to).

Back to Rios's and his backstory, we find that Soji and her sister are not the first synths to look exactly like that and to show up. Soji has a breakthrough after getting part of that story and due to opening part of her knowledge, she knows now where there is a wormhole to take them to the synth world. As the wormhole opens and they go through you just barely see the green of a romulan ship sneaking in with them.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, first half was a bit slow, but really picked up in the second. Loved the whole 7of9 thing where she plugs into the collective and basically becomes a Borg Queen. :D

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Two part season finale - I am not going to spoil it for those that havent had a chance to watch but wow.... lots of learning and a few oh crap moments. Cant wait for part two to come out next week. Sad to see the season ending.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Maybe now a DVD set of season 1 will become available, and I can order it through the library.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

It would not hurt to watch these prior to Picard

The measure of a man
Best of both worlds pts 1 and 2
I, Borg
The last two episodes of STNG... sorry cant remember the name.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

SoulBiter wrote: The last two episodes of STNG... sorry cant remember the name.
I think it was All Good Things Must Come To An End?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

All Good Things. That's right.

On another note for those that want to watch. I just saw this no idea of its validity.

https://ew.com/tv/star-trek-picard-epis ... ee-online/

https://www.space.com/watch-star-trek-p ... -gift.html
Our StarTrekPicard season finale is Thursday, and starting today until 4/23, you can watch for free on CBSAllAccess in the US with the code: GIFT.

It's felt good to bring Picard back. I can't wait to reunite with our cast and crew for Season 2.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The latest episode was amazing. This is turning out to be a big, sprawling story. I really like this series and think it truly adds value to the entire Star Trek universe. It will be the last one with all the characters we love. This is a great way to send them out. I can't believe it didn't feel so long ago that people were trying to revive the original cast for a Captain Sulu series, and now we're approaching the effective end of Next Generation series.

They are doing this one right. I'm impressed. I look forward to the future when we'll get a full-fledged Enterprise series again. Could it happen? I hope so.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Zarathustra wrote:The latest episode was amazing. This is turning out to be a big, sprawling story. I really like this series and think it truly adds value to the entire Star Trek universe. It will be the last one with all the characters we love. This is a great way to send them out. I can't believe it didn't feel so long ago that people were trying to revive the original cast for a Captain Sulu series, and now we're approaching the effective end of Next Generation series.

They are doing this one right. I'm impressed. I look forward to the future when we'll get a full-fledged Enterprise series again. Could it happen? I hope so.
+1 I agree. I am really enjoying this and will be sad when it is finally over because that will be the last STNG show we will probably see. The cast is just too old to be realistically brought into a new show. This works because its Picard. I dont think any of the other cast could pull this off.

I am also very encouraged that there might be a STOS series again. Rumor has it that when the producers were asked about bringing back the Enterprise with Anson Mount as Pike,
Kurtzman, the man currently in charge of Trek at CBS has in the past confirmed that when it comes to Pike and the Enterprise, CBS is listening. The fans have been heard.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Excellent Article that speaks of the things I think we all have felt about this new series.

As I read the article, I thought of the first post by Z also below
Zarathustra wrote:It was good to see such familiar faces, but it's sad to see how much they have all aged. And not just their appearance, but Stewart's voice. He sounds so old. His voice was such a huge part of his persona. He has always been able to project his voice with such power, and now it wavers like an old man.
Now as you contrast the above quote from Z to the part of the article quoted below, you see that Z and the writer of the article are saying the same things.
For me, the first episode of Picard, Remembrance, was aptly named, since it sent me shooting back decades into my own memories. As much as I enjoyed the show, the sight of such an elderly, frail Picard was uncomfortable for me. Time has certainly scorched Picard, and for those of us who grew up with the confident, commanding figure of The Next Generation, seeing him so enfeebled, not to mention openly disrespected, was pretty hard. By the time the credits rolled, I felt so emotionally overwhelmed by the experience that I wasnt sure quite what to make of it
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

SoulBiter wrote:I don't know why but that two part episode never grew on me. Troi was too much of a cry-baby and I never liked Lt Yar (sp?) as security chief. And I have to say, I know people loved some of those, but I never liked the "Q" as an antagonist. It was too much like having "Trelane" from STOS following them around.
Turns out Trelane was a Q. But anyway, I have some issues with Q, also. However, it's all worth it for the Voyager episode where Q (Not Q. Q.) Wanted to commit suicide. Freakin' excellent episode. "We've all been the scarecrow."

I agree about Farpoint and the entire first season of TNG.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Picard Episode 10 Et in Arcadia Ego, Pt 2

What an excellent episode!!! This could easily be called "Another goodbye". So much went on here. Sogi is building the transmitter to call whatever will come through that will signal the end to Organics, Picard is being held prisoner in his room, Dr Soong is building a new organic synthetic for himself (if there was ever a thought he was Data's brother (Lore) that is put to bed. Narek is on the run, and Seven of Nine is hanging with the other members of the team on the cube.

In this episode so many things come to conclusion. Seven of Nine had a throw down fight with Narissa and kicks her off a gang plate for a long drop to her death (this is for Hugh!, she exclaims). Agnes takes the eye from the synth that was killed in the last episode and uses it to break out Picard. Rios, narek, Elnor and Raffi head to the compound with a plan to destroy the transmitter.

Soong gets the memories from the dead Synth and realizes that it was his own creation that killed another Synth.

Picard and Agnes, end up at Rios ship and they take off to try to stop the Romulan fleet. We get to hear (make it so!).

Man, I dont want to give the whole thing away but there is so much happening. We see the StarFleet armada show up to defend the planet. Its a fleet of Romulans with Commodor Oh leading, against a fleet of Federation. The flagship hails the Romulans and its Captain Will Riker in command of the Fleet. Talk about a feel good moment. "Nothing would make me happier than for you to give me an excuse to kick your traitorous Tal Shiar ass."

Finally we see the death of two STNG characters. One of them for the second time. But as always, in the ST universe, sometimes the end, isnt the end.

Post by Avatar »

Eh, a bit ambivalent...enjoyed the episode, right up to the end.
Spoiler
They shoulda let him go out gracefully, would have been fitting...but gotta squeeze another few seasons out of it...
--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Avatar wrote:Eh, a bit ambivalent...enjoyed the episode, right up to the end.
Spoiler
They shoulda let him go out gracefully, would have been fitting...but gotta squeeze another few seasons out of it...
--A
I agree. I would have been fine if that was the end.

While it was good to see . . .
Spoiler
Data again, we had to see him die again???
Damn, they are milking that gimmick.

I think that the "uber-synths" are a "creature" we've seen in Discovery, right? Is anyone else watching that one? Can anyone else confirm?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Zarathustra wrote:
I think that the "uber-synths" are a "creature" we've seen in Discovery, right? Is anyone else watching that one? Can anyone else confirm?
No. The "synths" in discovery are actually not at all organic. They are a bunch of nanites that make up the whole of a replicated being and are part of a single artificial intelligence. They don't become a person. They were trying to become sentient by absorbing some information that Discovery had in their memory banks. I dont remember where, but the information was in itself sentient or close to it.

Post by Avatar »

Nah, I think he's talking about the worm things coming through the portal.

(I haven't watched Discovery yet, is it worth it?)

--A

Return to “TV Shows”