Atlas of The Land, Karen Wynn Fonstad

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Hello, does anyone else have this book. I consider it a must have to fully immerse yourself in The Land.
Saying that, I am halfway through TWL and only just discovered the 'pathway tables' showing the battles and routes. I think the whole book is really well done.
Are there really new maps for the LC and if so, where can I find them.

I have the book club hardback one. It was not available here in the UK probably and got into TCTC after it was released in 1985 so got it on eBay.

Thank you in advance and sorry if this has been talked about before. ;)

Post by starkllr »

I own a paperback copy. It's absolutely brilliant.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I have the hardcover. Bought it off eBay.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I've not gotten around to purchasing her Altlas of the Land, though I often wish I had.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Cord Hurn, I would say that the map in the novels are essential but to get the full enjoyment and to track where on the map they are, with corresponding page index's for the Del Rey novels, a really good way of completely immersing yourself.

Also the pictures of the buildings and layouts, etc., all done with SJD's help and authorisation (correct UK spelling), all the confusion about heights, where stairs are, etc. are all there in black and white.

I just wish there was more for the LC novels. I read somewhere there are new maps but no one one here seems to have the knowledge as to where they are. I might contaci KWF herself.

Thanks. 8)

_________
"When it doesn't feel right, go left.
The one who follows the crowd usually goes no further than the crowd.
The one who walks alone is likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before" - Albert Einstein
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

darthbuzz wrote:Cord Hurn, I would say that the map in the novels are essential but to get the full enjoyment and to track where on the map they are, with corresponding page index's for the Del Rey novels, a really good way of completely immersing yourself.

Also the pictures of the buildings and layouts, etc., all done with SJD's help and authorisation (correct UK spelling), all the confusion about heights, where stairs are, etc. are all there in black and white.

I just wish there was more for the LC novels. I read somewhere there are new maps but no one one here seems to have the knowledge as to where they are. I might contaci KWF herself.

Thanks. 8)

I appreciate your feedback on this, darthbuzz! I think I would especially appreciate the detailed illustrations about building layouts and heights.

However, I don't think that Karen Wynn Fonstad did any new maps for the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Sadly, Fonstad died on March 11 in the year 2005, just a few months after the publication of The Runes Of The Earth. :cry: If she did any new maps relating to the world of the Land in the time of the Last Chronicles, it would only be for events told in the ROTE book. But, I really, REALLY, don't believe that Karen Wynn Fonstad made any maps for the Last Chronicles at all. (I would be pleased to discover I'm wrong about that!)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I do enjoy these maps in the Laborium (one must be logged in to see them):

app.php/gallery/image/92 The Land, by Blackhawk

app.php/gallery/image/433 Land of the Elohim

app.php/gallery/image/461 Isle of the One Tree
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Cord Hurn wrote: Sadly, Fonstad died on March 11 in the year 2005, just a few months after the publication of The Runes Of The Earth. :cry:
Crikey, that is sad indeed. Lucky I didn't try and ask her as to any new maps. :cry: :oops: :cry:
Thank you for letting me know. I will try and find where I read it.

There was a post in the art section, I do believe, with all the important pictures in it but none of the pics were accessible.

I think a lot of the heights and dimensions are described in the books but will do a few photos of the pages in the future if that would help.

I like to share to people that either cannot afford or cannot find things. I have the audio books and have been 'sharing' them. The more that get into TCTC the better imo.

Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

My hardback copy of the atlas has had the spine snap in the middle through age and use. I am considering removing the pages and scanning them into a PDF. I'm not sure on the legalities of this since it's out of print, but would be willing to share as long as it won't get me into legal trouble.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I am pretty sure that there are some in The Laborium Album.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

wayfriend wrote:I am pretty sure that there are some in The Laborium Album.
The only ones I can see are the four that depict the giant ship. I'm more saying that I'm going to scan the entire book into PDF.
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Forestal wrote:
The only ones I can see are the four that depict the giant ship. I'm more saying
that I'm going to scan the entire book into PDF.
Yes. And I am more saying where to put them when you do. :wink:
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

wayfriend wrote:
Forestal wrote:
The only ones I can see are the four that depict the giant ship. I'm more saying
that I'm going to scan the entire book into PDF.
Yes. And I am more saying where to put them when you do. :wink:
File is too large, added to my old MediaFire account instead:

File removed, see post below.

Quality is lower than I'd like, still trying to work out a lossless pdf. Will update if I work it out.
Last edited by Forestal on Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Thank you for posting this. First time actually seeing this book, and it completely deserves its reputation.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

You're welcome.

Update: Fixed the quality issue, however, I'll leave both versions available in case for whatever reason a smaller file size is required.

High Quality:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wducsayf ... D.pdf/file

Low Quality:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tddc6360 ... w.pdf/file

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I need to flip the classic SRD reference "Give him something broken" on its head.

Yesterday's PDF was huge gift, and I honor the giver. I binged half the book that day.

Today, to have the so-much-better-resolution version was a "wait, there's more!" for the ages. Not only is the text easier on aging eyes, the increased clarity of the images reveals the genius of Fonstad's cartography...and of her attention to the detail contained in the original text.

While this sort of illumination could be applied to all of SRD's works, I am really intrigued with fleshing out The Great God's War this way, since the published version had no maps at all. Fonstad's method of harvesting clues from the text, synthesizing them into a physical reality, and validating it with SRD is way beyond my skills, but her approach will add to future re-reads of all his works.

Yes, most of the first two Man Who books can just be set in ABQ (and I have NM venues in mind for the other books in that arc), but I'm focused on SRD's books not set in this realitu.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Forestal wrote:You're welcome.

Update: Fixed the quality issue, however, I'll leave both versions available in case for whatever reason a smaller file size is required.

High Quality:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wducsayf ... D.pdf/file

Low Quality:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tddc6360 ... w.pdf/file
Thanks!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

PSA

If your PDF viewer supports it, use two page view to get the most out of this download.

Forestal has done an excellent job getting opposite pages to line up so that those two-page drawings look quite nice.

But Forestal, do you know why some pages came out black-on-beige and others came out black-on-white?
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

wayfriend wrote:PSA

If your PDF viewer supports it, use two page view to get the most out of this download.
I can 100% agree with this. When I was creating it this did cross my mind, but it came out better than I thought it would.
wayfriend wrote: But Forestal, do you know why some pages came out black-on-beige and others came out black-on-white?
I think this is just some of the pages of the book have discoloured with age differently?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”