Covid-19

Archive From The 'Tank
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

WF - do you were your mask around the house?

How about you Ur? Are you wearing a mask while wishing death on members of the Trump campaign?

Hey Ur, do you wear a mask while in bed, lamenting that you weren't around when democrats had it good? And by that I mean black slaves and Indians to slaughter?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

wayfriend wrote:This may be what he meant ... except he then took his mask off. He was very, very, very clear that what he meant was, "Don't let fear of Covid cause you to wear a mask."
The mask is the current symbol of fear. Of living your life in fear.
wayfriend wrote:And, in the context of being a Covid-19 spreader, he was very, very, very clear that what he meant was, "Don't let fear of Covid cause you to social distance."
Right. But I don't really care. Let his people gather around him and breath it in. If they're that stupid, it's on them. Everybody seeing those pictures can make their own decisions, too. The people who love him are already ignoring the masks and social distancing as much as they can. None of them are going to say, "Wow! He's stupid! I need to start wearing a mask!" And those who hate him are full steam in the other direction. None of those who hate him are now thinking "Wow! He took his mask off! I guess it's ok." These pictures aren't going to change that. He's only reinforcing what each group already things.
wayfriend wrote:JUST TODAY he was on Twitter saying that the seasonal flu is more dangerous than coronavirus.
I've never heard anything that suggests it's more dangerous than the seasonal flu. I look for things now and then. Just now, I read these:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... vs-the-flu
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

The flu is believed to infect and kill many times more people than covid.
There are unknowns about covid, since it's so new, but these sites are not suggesting it's worse. Maybe this or that. I would genuinely appreciate it if you have any sources about it being so much worse.
wayfriend wrote:He got dinged by Twitter for spreading misinformation. So he threatened Twitter with legislation they would not like. Twitter relented and restored his post.

(That's a whole other sub-topic right there - Trump abusing the power of his office to exact financial and legal retribution against those who go against him for the slightest thing. Greatest. President. Ever.)
That certainly is an abuse of power. Or it would be if he did it. But he only threatened it. And it worked. Would have been great if they told him where to get off.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Fist, making a threat to sign an executive order to repeal section 230 (he made an EO back in May/June IIRC) over Twitter putting the misinformation label on his post is still an abuse of power.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

We were lied to about masks in the beginning. We were told they were not needed.

Were were lied to about social distancing. It was necessary until the blm riots.

We found out that the elderly were sent back into NYC nursing homes to die.

We are told rioting is OK but going to church isn't.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Also, covid is deadlier than the flu. This is easily verifiable information.

2018-2019 flu season:
-Killed 34,200 people in US
-Infected 35.5 million people

2020 covid-19 pandemic:
-killed 210,000 people in US
-Infected 7.5 million people in US

Worldwide, covid has infected a similar number of people as the '18-'19 flu season in the US, with over 1.1 million covid deaths for the same number of infected.

You can do the math, but covid is more than an order of magnitude more deadly than seasonal flu, and it has infected far more people.

Trump's post was blatant misinformation, and Twitter was in the right to label it as such.
Last edited by Gaius Octavius on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

In other news, Trump has canceled the COVID stimulus talks.

No fucking clue why he would do that since there's no way this sounds positive for him at a time he needs something positive! Right before an election, too. And I doubt he can blame it on Democrats and people will just agree with him.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Number of deaths: 2,813,503
Death rate: 863.8 deaths per 100,000 population
Life expectancy: 78.6 years
Infant Mortality rate: 5.79 deaths per 1,000 live births

Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2017

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

ur-Nanothnir wrote:Also, covid is deadlier than the flu. This is easily verifiable information.

2018-2019 flu season:
-Killed 34,200 people in US
-Infected 35.5 million people

2020 covid-19 pandemic:
-killed 210,000 people in US
-Infected 7.5 million people in US

Worldwide, covid has infected a similar number of people as the '18-'19 flu season in the US, with over 1.1 million covid deaths for the same number of infected.

You can do the math, but covid is more than an order of magnitude more deadly than seasonal flu, and it has infected far more people.

Trump's post was blatant misinformation, and Twitter was in the right to label it as such.
Well... Yeah, I just looked again at the sites I posted above. I misread something somewhere. Maybe added a 0 somewhere. I think I need more sleep.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

sgt.null wrote:https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Number of deaths: 2,813,503
Death rate: 863.8 deaths per 100,000 population
Life expectancy: 78.6 years
Infant Mortality rate: 5.79 deaths per 1,000 live births

Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2017

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
So? COVID is a leading cause of death for Americans. I'm not sure how that helps your argument in any way.

4% of the world's population, 20% of the world's deaths from COVID.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

sgt.null wrote:We were lied to about masks in the beginning. We were told they were not needed.
Who said they were not needed?
sgt.null wrote:Were were lied to about social distancing. It was necessary until the blm riots.
Illness that spreads through contact and things like coughs and sneezes will be slowed down by social distancing. And masks. It's crazy to think it will spread the same with masks and distancing as it will with neither.
sgt.null wrote:We found out that the elderly were sent back into NYC nursing homes to die.
Not sure what point you're making, but I heard that, also.
sgt.null wrote:We are told rioting is OK but going to church isn't.
Who said rioting is ok? I've never heard it. I'd like to see that quote.

I don't know what the rules are at this point in NY about gatherings indoors or outdoors. I went to 5 Guys yesterday. Only about half the tables were there, so they'd be farther from each other than usual. Packets for ketchup, instead of the pumps. No idea why the peanuts are gone!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

As local lockdown measures are extended, but infection numbers continue to rise in the UK, today we learn that upwards of 4000 leading scientists and doctors have sent out a joint statement of criticism of the current policy of dealing with Covid currently being followed by the government.

And the figures in the UK would have to back them up. No matter how stringent partial lockdowns are, the conduits for transmission that remain will always - always - be sufficient for the virus to bypass them and continue it's passage. Total lockdown for an extended period would be the only way to defeat the virus by these means - by which time we would have no economy, no society left to speak of. This see-sawing from local lockdown to local lockdown - from opening to closing, is simply serving to wreak havoc on our economies while still allowing the virus almost free reign to run rampant, to rise and fall like the ebb and flow of the tide as lockdowns are introduced and then lifted and to no definable end.

The Government has staked it's entire policy on the throw of a dice that a vaccine will be produced in really short order and will ride, shining knight like, into the fray to lift us all out of danger. If the vaccine doesn't appear - and there are good reasons to doubt whether it will (or more, that if it does it will actually do what it purports to do) - then everything that is being done, all of the social and economic destruction of the current Government policy, is for nothing. Nothing.

For this reason, the scientists and doctors signitory to the above statement are called for an immediate lifting of covid restrictions with the institution of a targeted lockdown covering the elderly and vulnerable groupings. This will not be what the Government wants to hear, but it is an argument that if the infection figures continue as they are they will be forced to listen to. This damaging (in so many ways) 'whack-a-mole' policy cannot continue ad infinitum at the convenience of a vaccine deciding to come along. Sooner or later the Covid bullet must be bit and we must give nature her head to do what she does best, hard medicine though that may be.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

The Trump campaign keeps wearing their left shoe on the right foot.

1. Rush to nominate Barrett before election rather than after (so cannot use it as a carrot on stick)

2. Utterly fail to talk about policies during presidential debate, instead arguing over everyone including moderator

3. Insult Biden for taking COVID precautions, get sick two days later, requiring emergency hospitalization

4. Keep drawing attention to yourself over COVID infection by posting propaganda of yourself not wearing a mask (which is exactly what is driving the backlash against you in the first place)

5. Double down on cavalier attitude that led to you getting virus amid news that everyone around you is now testing positive

6. Cancel COVID stimulus talks before election (thus making you look bad considering that an overwhelming majority of Americans wanted a second stimulus check)...not good for economy either
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, probably not the right thread, but I was also surprised by stopping the stimulus talks...I assume the reasoning is "If they want the stimulus cheque, they will have to elect me."

Still, highly likely that the new guy will offer one anyway, so dubious value...would have been better to increase it, show he's not insensitive etc.

--A
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Avatar wrote:Hmmm, probably not the right thread, but I was also surprised by stopping the stimulus talks...I assume the reasoning is "If they want the stimulus cheque, they will have to elect me."

Still, highly likely that the new guy will offer one anyway, so dubious value...would have been better to increase it, show he's not insensitive etc.

--A
Well it's certainly an easy target for Biden now. Biden can promise a wide range of stimulus benefits for Americans the day he is sworn into office now.

Trump is certain to face backlash over this decision. He can't even blame Pelosi for it because he TWEETED that he was cancelling talks.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Man should not be allowed near Twitter. :D

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Trump cancelled the talks because he didn't want to hand the Democrats a "victory" in the form of whatever the Democrats wanted on their side of the negotiations. "Negotiating" and "Compromising" are bad things according to conservatives, especially with "people who want to destroy America", and so close to an election the incentive is against. It's plain and simple.

Sorry, actual people living in the US. You are far down on the list of things that the Trump regime cares about.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

wayfriend wrote:Trump cancelled the talks because he didn't want to hand the Democrats a "victory" in the form of whatever the Democrats wanted on their side of the negotiations. "Negotiating" and "Compromising" are bad things according to conservatives, especially with "people who want to destroy America", and so close to an election the incentive is against. It's plain and simple.

Sorry, actual people living in the US. You are far down on the list of things that the Trump regime cares about.
My thoughts exactly, but I do believe this decision of his will hurt him and the GOP as a whole. Something like 70% of people were in favor of additional stimulus checks. In the GOP's own words, we needed a second stimulus to boost the economy.

Can't be good for the "economic recovery" he likes to drone on and on about.

I knew two months ago that it was exceedingly unlikely that the GOP would ever allow stimulus talks to move forward, so I had to sell several of my possessions in order to come up with the amount that was promised in a second stimulus check, on my own.

This isn't so much about me having less stuff as a result of their inability to take action, but their sheer and callous carelessness about the needs of everyday Americans.

This is shit I will remember for years, to be frank, when it comes to whether or not to cast a vote for the GOP.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

ur-Nanothnir wrote:This is shit I will remember for years, to be frank, when it comes to whether or not to cast a vote for the GOP.
To be fair...

If I were you, I'd remember this shit about Trump, not the GOP. I grant you that currently, there's not much discernible difference between the two. And frankly, that's never the way things should be... elections should be about parties and policies, not individuals and personalities (something the US has for the moment at least entirely forgotten about).

But if the US is ever to get back to any semblance of normality, I think you'll find that the GOP chooses less farcical figureheads in the future.

Mind you, looking at the Dems today, losing an election is absolutely no guarantee of the defeated party gaining any smarts whatsoever out of examining the reasons for their loss.

However I agree. Trump is carrying on ever more determinedly making sure that he won't win, with the sole reason that he will lose the upcoming election being because of himself.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by wayfriend »

The GOP is as complicit, if not more so, than Trump. The have abandoned every principal in order to kow tow to Trump. They have derelicted every duty to prove their fealty to Trump. They have allowed the government to break while proudly waving their Trump flag.

The GOP will not be "restored". It's not controlled by people who want to. It's run by people who see the unrestrained power of Congress and the DoJ and the FBI and the CDC the Supreme Court and everything else swearing mickle oaths to be the President's lackey. The President gets to do whatever he wants, and in return, they can do anything that they want as long as it doesn't detract from Trump.

No. They will get behind a new Trump when this one is done.

And it will be someone Trump has chosen. He wants a dynasty.

Return to “Coercri”