A Dark And Hungry God Arises 8 - Nick [3]

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 8 - Nick [3]

Post by Cord Hurn »

Captain Nick Succorso goes to his cabin to await the news from his command second Mikka Vasaczk (via intercom) that his prisoner Morn Hyland has had enough "cat" (catecholamine inhibitor) flushed out of her system to be walked to the Amnion section of Billingate. While in his cabin, Nick decides to lock away Morn's zone implant control box and her police id tag. He also grabs two mutagen immunity pills, and swallows one while pocketing another within his shipsuit. He spends the next few minutes musing about how he can rid himself of Mikka, and how he can get revenge upon Sorus Chatelaine.

Then Mikka's voice tells Nick that Morn can now walk, though her mind hasn't erased all cataleptic effects of the "cat" remaining within her. Nick orders Mikka to meet him at the airlock. Mikka shuts off the intercom without another word to him, a sign of disrespect that angers Nick. He meets with Mikka and Morn before they make it to the airlock, and he notes that Morn is shuffling her feet uncertainly forward. It irritates Nick to notice that Mikka has cleaned up Morn and put her into a fresh shipsuit, as he considers that a dignity that Morn doesn't deserve.

He takes Morn, and orders Mikka to take command on the bridge. He also tells Mikka to organize a raiding party and grant those crewmembers time off to rest for a task he'll have for them. He tells Mikka he's the ship's only hope, and admits he doesn't yet know what he wants the raiding team to do. Mikka gives Nick an angry look as she hands Morn to him, and then walks away.

Then Nick keys the doors of the airlock, and walks onto the floor of Billingate, while gripping Morn tightly. Nick feels Morn looks pitiable and desirable at the same time. He continues to grip Morn tightly by her left arm, even after she complains that it hurts. After they pass guards in the Reception area, Nick is surprised that he and Morn don't see any more of the Bill's guards as they move through the corridors toward the Amnion sector.

Nick loosens his grip on Morn's arm because his hand is tired (but not because he has pity or empathy), and asks Morn if she knows where they are and where they're going. She doesn't answer, but he tells her he's had another talk with Marc Vestabule of the Amnion. He mentions Marc proclaimed they can paralyze Captain's Fancy, and wants to hear what Morn knows about that. Morn asks Nick why he thinks she knows the answer. Nick replies because she's a cop with information he doesn't have, and because she talked with the Amnion when she had control of his ship. Morn responds that she will tell Nick why the Amnion can paralyze his ship, if he will tell her why he talked to the UMCP before going to Enablement and why the UMCP hired him.
She astonished him; surpassed him. Why wasn't she terrified?--stricken to the core? She should have been sobbing in revulsion and supplication, not trying to bargain with him.

The corridor was empty in both directions. The Amnion kept themselves apart from the rest of the installation and nobody with any sense went looking for them. The Bill's bugeyes were watching, of course; but they probably couldn't pick out voices at this range. Nick let go of Morn's arm, clutched her shoulders, and swung her around to face him.

"Look at me, damn you." Why aren't you out of your head with fear? "Look at me."

Her gaze came up to his slowly. When he saw her eyes, the mad, dark passion in them almost made him flinch. The extremity of her suffering, the depth of her abuse, was matched by a focused, absolute, and predatory conviction. She looked like a woman who could come back from her grave--or from Amnion mutagens--to destroy him.

Roughly he shoved her away. Helpless to defend herself, she stumbled against the wall; he caught her on the rebound and compelled her into motion again. He needed movement to control the dread rising in his guts.
Nick claims to Morn he wanted the cops to pay him for not selling her knowledge to the Bill. Morn doesn't believe that; she states that Nick must have had UMCP permission to take her off Com-Mine Station. She points out that Nick needed a source in Com-Mine to frame Angus Thermopyle, and required someone at UMCPHQ to give him codes to make the phony supply ship look genuine enough to bait Angus. So Nick must have already had a deal set with the cops, Morn reasons aloud, with herself as part of that deal. So she concludes that Nick was hired by the cops for some other purpose, and Morn wants to know what that purpose was.

Nick tells her Hashi Lebwohl wanted him to sell the mutagen immunity drug to the Bill, giving him the real thing to test on a live subject, and then giving him a fake drug that would get the Bill in trouble when the Bill tried to sell it to others. Nick hopes this knowledge of police corruption hurts Morn, and he adds he may sell the Bill only the real immunity drug, and not the fake drug, to punish Hashi for ignoring his calls for assistance. He asks Morn to tell him how the Amnion can paralyze his ship.
"Oh, that," she muttered as if she hadn't felt a word he said; as if she were too numb or blind to be reached by his malice. "You should have figured that out for yourself."

Here it comes, he thought. Now she would try to get back at him.

"Back on Enablement, I needed to show them Captain's Fancy's self-destruct was real. If I let them believe I was bluffing, they wouldn't have returned Davies. So I dumped a copy of everything in the auxiliary command board into my transmission. Including," she finished like an act of violence, "your priority codes. They can override every instruction you key in."

Nick thought his heart was going to stop.

Of course, he also had those codes. He could override their override. And they could override again--

Paralysis. Eventually the computers would shut down to protect themselves from burnout.

For a moment the shock left him white and blank. She wasn't trying to hurt him. Her revelation didn't damage him: it helped him. What the Amnion knew about his ship was only dangerous as long as he didn't know they knew it. Once he got back to Captain's Fancy, he could simply write in a new set of priority codes. The whole job would take less than an hour.

Morn had given him an unexpected and imponderable reprieve.
Nick is shocked enough to ask Morn why she's helping him. She reveals she doesn't want the Amnion to get any of them, and she didn't expect Nick to be grateful. Here again, we are informed that Morn is loyal to higher motives than Nick, because Morn still wants to protect humanity, and Nick is primarily concerned about his own reputation and glory. They arrive at the Amnion sector, the entrance described by Stephen Donaldson as "a faceless door in a blank wall". Nick views the door as an airlock, and remembers with revulsion the acrid air the Amnion breathed on Enablement Station. He vows he won't breathe that air ever again.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Gap Into Power: ADAHGA 8 - Nick [3]

Post by Cord Hurn »

Morn doesn't plead to be spared from the Amnion, to Nick's disappointment. However, she pleads to know why the police let Nick take her instead of rescuing her. Nick hatefully lies to Morn that the cops believed after all that time with Angus that she'd be nobody worth rescuing. But he admits that he asked for her as payment from the UMCP. Getting monetary credit for helping frame Angus didn't occur to Nick, he tells Morn, because he didn't know his gap drive was about to fail. But then Nick chuckles that the UMCP thought they got a bargain by nailing Angus while casting off a piece of wreckage like Morn. Hearing this from Nick doesn't break Morn's spirit, though that was his intention.
She hadn't looked at him since he'd forced her to; she didn't look at him now. Nevertheless her damaged voice seemed to drive straight through him.

"If you believe it's that simple, you've been trusting them too long."

She was more than he could stand. Hitting the intercom with his fist, he snarled, "I'm Captain Nick Succorso. I've brought the fucking 'recompense' you fucking wanted. Her name is Morn Hyland--she's the mother of that 'human offspring' bastard you're lusting after. Open the door. I'm going to put her inside and leave her. I've got other things to do."

The response from the intercom was immediate. "Captain Nick Succorso, the delivery of the female is acceptable. Your departure is not. You will enter with her. Suitable breathing masks will be provided. She will be taken from you. You will remain."

"The hell I will," Nick growled in instant fear. Automatically he backed to the far wall, pulling Morn with him. "That wasn't the deal. Your fucking emissary didn't say anything about keeping me."

"You will not be kept." The Amnion voice sounded mechanically flat, imperturbable. "You will not be harmed. That is unconditional."

Abruptly the door slid open.

Marc Vestabule stood in the airlock.

He had two other Amnion with him; but there was nothing humanlike about them except for the masks over their faces and the weapons in their hands.

They aimed their weapons squarely at Nick and Morn.
Marc asks Nick to enter the Amnion sector, and Nick accuses the Amnioni of wanting to avoid surveillance by the Bill. Marc says the Bill has an agreement that the Amnion can turn off the nearby cameras whenever they wish. Marc says to Nick that the purpose of asking Nick inside is to offer him a chance to sit and be comfortable while talking to him. Nick denies there being anything to talk about. Marc makes the observation that Nick's chance of getting his credit-jack reauthorized depends upon his coming inside the Amnion sector. Nick rages that Marc must tell the Amnion guard to stop pointing his gun at him. Marc has the guard comply. Further anger seethes through Nick, and he pronounces the Amnion sector of Billingate to be the "sewer of the universe". Marc dryly replies that only humans have sewers for processing waste. Nick snaps for Marc to ask his questions.
"Captain Succorso"--Vestabule moved his arms as if he were attempting a gesture of appeal which his body had forgotten how to perform--"we have only one question, although it is complex.

"Why did you come to Enablement Station?"

Nick knotted his fists to contain his anger and waited for the emissary to explain.

"Your stated reason," Vestabule said flatly, "was that you required 'help for a medical difficulty,' in addition to credit that would enable you to repair your ship. Plainly, however, the credit itself was not the primary reason. Our data indicates that you were within reach of this installation before you left human space. This implies that you were on your way here to obtain repairs--which in turn implies that you had the means to pay for them--until you altered course and risked crossing the gap.

"Superficially we are left with the matter of your 'medical difficulty.'

"We can understand that in only one of two ways. Perhaps your desire or need for the human offspring Davies Hyland was genuine. That is difficult for us to understand. However, we do not need to understand it, or you have proven it false. Your willingness to sell the offspring demonstrates that he was not your motive. Therefore we must speculate that your true interest was not in the offspring himself, but rather in the ability to produce him."

Urgent with fury, Nick wanted to shout, Get to the point get to the point! But he held himself rigid, betraying nothing, while fire throbbed in his scars and burned in his eyes.
It's not hard to imagine Nick's cheeks scars looking flaming red-orange at this moment. This would have been a good time for Nick to admit that his great satisfaction with having Morn as a lover made him motivated to keep Morn happy by letting her have her baby. But, the baby needed to be force-grown so as to minimize its helplessness aboard and illegal ship, so Nick needed Amnon medical skills. Nick could have explained all this, and his angry visage (including the flaming cheek scars) would have lent his statements some credibility. But Nick instead stays silent while Vestabule remarks that Nick must have meant to let the Amnion know through his blood test that he has the means to render the mutagens ineffective. Vestabule asks Succorso: why did he inform the Amnion of his mutagen immunity?

Instead of explaining to Marc Vestabule (one of the more human-like of the Amnion, so one of the Amnion most likely to understand Nick's explanation), Nick instead gives up on the idea of getting his credit restored. He snaps that the Amnion are accusing him of bluffing them for the cops. He declares that while he sometimes does jobs for the cops, he actually hates them. Nick's explanation for his return visit to Enablement was to make sure the job he did for the cops "turned out bad".

Understandably, this "explanation" makes nothing clear to Marc, so Vestabule protests Nick's answer is unsatisfactory. Nick angrily struts away, hoping an encounter with Milos will gain him money somehow, now that his attempt to get credit from the Amnion has failed. He seems foolish to give up on gaining credit from the Amnion, but his pride won't let him admit his motivations for his second Enablement visit.
If Vestabule had set fire to Nick's hands and feet--if the Amnioni with the gun had flamed open his belly, spilling his guts to the deck--Nick would not have told them the truth. I loved her, goddamn you! I thought letting her have her brat was the only way I could keep her! Vestabule probably wouldn't have believed him anyway. Some hurts were too human for any Amnioni to understand.
Well, I still think Nick should have at least tried to explain himself, when Marc gave him the opportunity. Getting back his credit enables Nick to get his ship fixed, and with that done he could focus on leaving Billingate and ambushing Sorus somewhere else. But, Nick puts all hopes on Milos and goes back to his ship. He summons Liete for strategizing and sex, to make himself feel better. He clearly can't abide being questioned anymore, so he craves someone near him who won't question him critically.

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”