Campaign Thread

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Richard glanced around to see Paula walking alongside the cart also. She seemed lost in thought, and in some distress. He also noticed what appeared to be a concerted effort to shake off that distress.

In the ensuing silence, Richard recalled a question that Bela had asked - whether it was his usual fluff, or whether it was a serious question - Richard couldn't really tell. The Fox. Richard had been thinking about her, and her role.

Musing, he said aloud "She is outwardly aggressive and unfriendly. She wants you to be afraid of her. No subtlety. Did you notice she's riding with Hester today? I wonder what their connection is... they seem to have quite a history. You're right to be wary of her - she'd snap you two like twigs." Looking around, Richard noticed Bela and Paula looking at him. "But who really knows?" he said, and falls silent again.

*Keep listening, keep observing, Richard. Perhaps think twice before offering a blind opinion*
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Unfortunately, Rum doesn't share much. He trusts me not to steal from him, but that's not the same as sharing confidences with me.

"But The Fox... I mean, I don't want to find her knife sticking out of me because I sneezed. I've seen her use it, and she's as good as she wants us to think she is. I thought she was going to kill me more than once, and I have no idea why.

"And why does her name sound so loud in my head?"
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Slade's comments brought Paula out of her reverie, somewhat surprised by the withdrawn man speaking so plainly.

"Oh, I see her," Paula said, gradually stepping closer to Slade to walk along side of him. "I give her a fair share of distance out of respect. If she wants to be left alone there's nothing wrong with that."

Paula had made an effort to engage The Fox throughout the journey but without much luck. None of her songs, jokes, or dances had made the woman smile and although she seemed somewhat engaged at times, The Fox tended to toy with her knife more than watch the show. In addition, at meal times when Paula would hand her a plate of food or drink, The Fox would only nod, saying nothing and leaving when finished without a word.

But, the conversation of the men had led Paula to second guess herself. Perhaps she *should* have engaged The Fox more, woman to woman. Then again, she may have gotten a knife in her chest for her efforts.

Paula looked ahead at Hestor and The Fox, looking to see how they interacted with one another.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The walls of Hestor's carriage remain stubbornly opaque.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Loud enough for Rum, The Fox, and Henn to hear...

"Well, people, I'll tell you what I think. I think we're going into a very unknown and mysterious situation. Possibly dangous. If could be we have only each other to rely on. Problem is, we don't know each other. At all. How can we rely on strangers? How can we trust each other with, if it comes down to it, our lives? So I will tell you all why I asked Hestor to include me on this trip. Maybe it will be a beginning of trust between us.

"I'm trying to learn about gods. I've felt the presence of one for several years. It's unmistakable. It's name is Kruppe. I don't know anything about Kruppe. Just the name. Which, to be honest, I don't even know is its name. It's just the sound I hear in my mind when this god is with me. What else would it be but the god's name? Kruppe is just kind of a presence I feel. There isn't any message of desire, or intent, or a plan, or anything. I don't know why Kruppe is involved with me at all.

"Maybe I'll have the chance to learn something in the Heartland."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

It's not something that Richard would naturally do, but maybe giving some information about why we're here isn't such a bad idea. Bela's explanation sounded more like psychosis than revelation, but then again, people's reasons weren't the most important issue - the fact that they share their reasons is more important. Maybe it will build some trust - or at least some understanding.

In response to Paula's comment about keeping her distance from The Fox, he mutters "Probably a good idea." He might have added "but not out of respect, more out of safety" but Richard didn't think that would add much to the conversation.

To try and keep the conversation heading in the right direction, that is, to try and learn as much as possible about Bela and Paula, Richard offered something close to the truth about his reason for being here.

"I don't want to be scraping for life at every turn. If I want to live a life where I can choose what to eat when I want it, choose the company I keep, not look behind me for someone with a knife" he looks at the carriage where The Fox is riding, "to stab me in the back, then I need money. This is an opportunity to get some real money if Rum is true to his word. With real money comes real danger, so yes Bela, I agree we will need to look out for each other."

Richard is a realist though - whether he could ever achieve the independence to *choose* as he mentioned, he suspects might be a little too ambitious. But it doesn't hurt to aim for the ideal...

With an effort, Richard turns to Paula and asks cautiously "Why are you here?"
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula listened to Bela's story but didn't know if he was telling the truth or not. The brash young man didn't seem like a very religious fellow and certainly not the type to run off to search for strange voices in his head. Besides, he was employed by Hestor. He would go wherever Hestor wanted him to go.

Slade's story rang with a little more truth but by his demeanor, Paula knew it wasn't the whole story.

Trust was not based on words and background stories, although the boys seemed to think it did. It was based on actions - and character. They would be forced to trust each other if they wanted this venture to be a success.

Paula looked at the ground, not wanting her pain to be too transparent. "I lost my husband a while ago and my baby died soon after. I needed to make a new life and Jovian seemed like a good place. Hestor was able to provide the means so that I could leave the stage and buy some land to farm."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"I'm very sorry, Paula. My parents died when I was a child. I remember the pain and anger."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Richard was intimately familiar with loss and pain, so much so that he hardly noticed it any more. He was aware that Paula was a widow, but the loss of the baby tugged at something he hadn't felt in a long time.

"I'm... sorry" he said awkwardly.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"Thank you," Paula said as gracefully as she could manage, with a stiff smile to both men.

The conversation came to halt and Paula walked in silence, looking at her feet. Her reveal seemed to have an effect on her companions as well. It wasn't her intention to bring them down but it made her realize that all three of them were carrying some sort of burden. Some sort of pain.

Perhaps they were more alike than they realized.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"I enjoy reveling in depression and pain as much as the next guy, but if I may change the subject.

"Paula, you are a wonder. Stories, dancing, singing, cooking... I can't imagine a better person to travel with. Were you raised in a family of entertainers?"
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Oh, nothing much to tell, really. My father was a wool merchant. My mother died in childbirth.

But, tell us about Hestor, Bela. You've worked for him for years. What kind of man is he?"
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

*looks at the stubbornly opaque walls of Hestor's carriage* "You're seeing what kind of man he is. He plays his cards close to his chest. You find out what you need to know, when you need to know it. I don't know, maybe he's more open with people older than me. I was so young when he started letting me run errands and things, of course he wasn't going to tell me anything. Maybe that's just how our relationship developed. Maybe he tells more to people he meets as adults.

"But he pays what he says he'll pay. I do the books, after all, so I'd know. If you're straight with him, he's straight with you.'
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The caravan rounds a bend in the road, and ahead of you the view between the trees opens up, revealing a wide river and beyond it open green fields. The road crosses the river on a high, narrow wooden bridge, not quite wide enough for two carts to pass.

The caravan continues up onto the bridge. You hear the sound of the horses' hooves on wooden boards, the gentle murmur of the river below, a few birds in the trees along the bank. The sun is bright, only a few scattered clouds in a wide blue sky, though a slight chill remains in the air.

As the three of you pass the halfway point on the bridge, Henn slows the lead carriage then brings it to a full stop, and the other vehicles halt behind it. You see now that the end of the bridge is blocked - a cart or some other obstruction is pulled across the road, and you can make out a single figure standing near the obstruction.

Henn raps on the roof of the carriage with his fist, and after a moment Hestor Rum's head emerges from a window near the front of the carriage. You see him exchange a few words with Henn, but you can't make out what was said from this distance.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula pauses briefly then walks ahead toward Hestor's cart.

"What is it? May I be of assistance?"

She directs her question to Henn but loud enough for Hestor and The Fox to hear within the carriage.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Did anyone expect they just let people walk into paradise?"

*under his breath* "I hope you have something planned, Boss. My guess is The Fox."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

As you approach the front of the caravan, you get a clearer view of the end of the bridge. It is indeed a cart that is blocking the road, and behind it stands a man who appears to be armoured. To the left of the road, near the cart, you now see a small stone hut.

Henn turns at the sound of Paula's voice. He replies, "Some sort of guard post. Doesn't look very orthodox to me though."

Hestor, still at his window, chimes in. "I think you'd best keep your distance, my dear, until we're sure what this is about." He looks past Paula at Bela, then to Richard. "Mr. Slade, perhaps you could go ask this gentleman if we may pass?"
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula did as Hestor bid and watched Slade. She wished to diffuse any conflict.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"OK if I go with him, Boss?"
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

At Rum's request, Richard prepares himself as he would for any job. His awareness heightens, and he scans the cart and its surroundings for potential dangers. Gin follows him as he strolls casually toward the man, who appears to be guarding the bridge. Richard holds one hand near his concealed knife.

Richards halts a few paces from the man, and says quietly, "Good day, sir. My boss" Richard gestures behind him "in the fancy carriage back there has asked if we might pass. My friend" Richard half turns to Gin behind him "and I would be happy to help you with your cart."

Return to “Heart of God: The Outsiders”