Campaign Thread

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"It certainly sounds like it," Madam Croswen says.
"Yes," says Hestor, "And I think perhaps I should hear more about it. Begging your pardon, Madam," he adds, with a polite nod.
"Of course." The landlord rises from her seat. "It has been a pleasure, Lord Smith. Should you need anything at all that my staff are unable to furnish, do not hesitate to ask."
"The pleasure is all mine," says Hestor. "Have a good evening."
Madam Croswen makes her polite goodbye to you all, then departs, leaving the common room.

"Now then," Hestor says, eyeing you all, "I expected you would still be enjoying your time off. Come, sit, sit." He gestures toward the other seats at his table. "What was that about a magistrate?"
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Looking around the room, Richard suggests "Should we find somewhere more private to discuss our discoveries?"
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

When Croswen is out of earshot, and quietly enough to not be overheard by other's, "I was hoping the names Smoak or Keren would get more of a reaction out of her. Interesting how alarmed she was about Richard's incident."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"Cautious as ever, Mr. Slade. I should think we're safe here for now." While there are still people in the common room, it's quieter than it was earlier in the day, and the tables nearer to Hestor's are unoccupied. "Besides, Lord Smith has nothing to hide, has he?" he adds with a wink.
"Now Bela, you will have to fill me in. You had reason to think Madam Croswen would recognise those names?"
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"No, not reason to think. I just hoped she would know anything about them, and give us some information."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[For the sake of brevity, let's assume the three of you tell Hestor about the events of the last few hours. Before we move on with the conversation, is there anything you don't tell Hestor?]
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

(Richard holds nothing back)
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

(I'm good. 14 mile hike yesterday, but resting today.)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[Sorry for the long silence. I have no excuse.]

Hestor listens to your account of the day thoughtfully, only asking one or two insightful questions but otherwise allowing you all to finish your story.
"Eventful indeed," he says after a brief pause. "I am not sure becoming involved with this Sara was worth the trouble you are taking, but this magistrate offers some intriguing possibilities."
He turns to Paula. "Did he mention where he would be taking you for dinner?"
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

As Paula takes an inordinate amount of time to respond, I jump in.

"I know what you mean, Boss. But I just had a feeling." Grinning "Hey, I didn't insist we go back to those guards, right?" Shaking my head, more serious. "I wish my feelings were more specific. I thought it was a mistake to let Sara walk away from Richard. I thought we were supposed to meet. But for whose benefit? I don't know. Maybe just to help her. Maybe it's for us, and this was a way for Paula to meet Keren. Maybe it will lead to something huge for the whole city. Or, yeah, maybe I just imagined the whole thing, and wasted our time."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"I believe he's taking Paula to the Guild Hall" Richard chips in. Lowering his voice, he says "There may be a possibility of obtaining those construction records if you think it's worth the risk?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"Hmm. You say you are bringing Sara to meet him tonight, so it seems likely she would be brought to the magistrate's offices. It is somewhat earlier than I would have planned, but it does provide an opportunity." He looks to Richard. "I have every confidence in your abilities, Mr. Slade, but it would not do to have one of us arrested almost as soon as we arrive. Do you believe you could get into the Guild records without being caught?"
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"It would require knowledge of where the records are being held. If Paula can extract that information from the magistrate, and Bela can create an appropriate distraction, then I think I could keep to the shadows and evade detection. Paula would need to relay the information to me somehow.

"It's risky. but it could be very valuable information. Perhaps the Fox could accompany me and provide some additional protection?"

Richards looks around at the three of them, and then back at Hester. "I'm willing to give it a go if you think it's worth the risk?"
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

(Sorry - back at work full time so it's been busy)

"It would be a shame to let this opportunity pass, considering what I am exposing myself to. I'm expecting to keep the Magistrate at bay - if you know what I mean - but there's no guarantees.

"It would be great to keep him on our side. If there is anything in particular you want or need to know, I can try to get the information out of him tonight."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"I think it's best we keep The Fox out of this," Hestor replies. "She's not the most subtle person at the best of times.
"Use your judgement, Mr. Slade. If you see an opportunity, take it, but no undue risk-taking, please.
"Paula, my dear, don't feel that you need to press this man for information. We don't want anyone getting suspicious of you, after all. In any case, he's a magistrate, not a banker. Perhaps he knows some things about the internal working of the Guild, but I don't expect Lord Smith will have any trouble finding his way into those circles..."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"Good point. Then I will keep it simple.

"But, I should go and prepare for dinner. If you will excuse me."

Paula went to her room to bath and dress for dinner.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[Sorry Caam, I actually missed your previous post as I was writing mine when you posted it! Coincidence that it sort of addressed what you said. I'll not try to retcon, though.]

After Paula leaves, Hestor turns his attention back to Richard. "We are just at the beginning of our venture here. If you succeed tonight, it might propel us forward more swiftly than I had anticipated, but should you fail, then we can simply continue as we would have. That said, I wouldn't mind a little boost to our schedule. Do try your best.
"Now, if you wouldn't mind, I would like a private word with Mr. Gin, here. I have a small task in mind for him."
It seems Richard is being dismissed.
"Bela, my boy, I will delay you but a moment."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Great minds, Boss. I was going to ask if you could give me a moment. What's up?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[Bela: This conversation with Hestor is not exactly a secret, but since you are seperate from the other party members I'll let you choose if you want to have it here in the open thread or keep it private.]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[Richard: Since Hestor's basically dismissed you from the conversation and Paula's gone to get ready, what are you doing? You may also choose to answer privately if you wish.
Same goes for Paula, really. If any of you wish to do anything privately from the other players you can always PM me.]

Return to “Heart of God: The Outsiders”