Campaign Thread

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"We could probably move the cart with them fighting us with all their strength."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Richard had grown up around these types of people. They were most certainly not real guards. Back in Pentam, the young man would be dead in a second, and the older one would know better than to pursue. Richard hadn't experienced a *professional charmer* such as Paula Ridgeway. People like her just didn't exist on the mean streets of Pentam.

I am starting to see why Rum asked her to be on board with this job, he thought to himself.

He agreed with Paula's first suggestion of going to the hut with the Fox, but he kept his silence and awaited Hester's decision.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Just then, the guards re-emerge from the hut. The larger man calls out, "Alright, we're letting you pass."

The young 'private' starts pushing the cart off to the side of the road. He seems to be having a tough time of it, but Jed doesn't help him, just stands by the roadside watching you all by Hestor's carriage.

The Fox makes a disappointed noise, then walks off to the back of the caravan to retrieve her horse. Hestor immediately brightens. "Well, I guess that's that. Whatever you said seems to have convinced them. Good work, Paula."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"Thank you," Paula responds to Hestor's praise, noting the pleasure with which he showed.

She made a mental note to inform the Merchants Guild about the 'guards' and let them deal with the issue.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

Glad that went well. I don't doubt The Fox could handle far more than them. But no point beginning our venture by making enemies.

"Thank you, gentlemen." [That's as I ride past the cart.]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The caravan starts moving again, passing between the guard hut and the cart, Jed glowering on one side and the young guard looking sulky on the other. As Paula passes, Jed puts on the awful smile again and says, "No need to get the Guild involved, ma'am. We're taking your word on this." His eyes look like he'd rather punch you in the face.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"Of course. Thank you for your help." Paula says sweetly and without malice as she rides by in the cart with Bela.

"Jed looks none too happy," she remarks to Bela. Paula keeps an eye on the guards after the caravan passes.

In hindsight, Paula thought that perhaps she should have engaged Jed and the other guard a little more to find out what was going on. But, since the caravan had passed and they were on their way, there wasn't time.

Besides, she was anxious to get to Jovian.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

As the caravan moves off along the road, you see the two men pulling the cart back into position across the end of the bridge behind you.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"What's his problem?"
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"He just didn't seem to like letting us through."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"They're crooks who didn't manage to extract any money from us. That makes them unhappy, but at least they get a chance to rip the next travellers off.

Either that, or they're the ugliest, most incompetent group of *legitimate* guards in history. If I were to guess, I would say that the real guards are either held hostage in the hut, or dead out the back."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula nodded at Slade's assessment, feeling guilty that they didn't get to the bottom of the situation. They could possibly have rescued the officers, if they were still alive.

She looked back again at the bridge.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"My impression was that those two couldn't have overpowered actual guards. My first thought was that they just set up a cart, and try to blue people into thinking they're who they say they are, and get money without have to fight or work for it.

"But those uniforms are real. If they had them made as part of the scheme, they would fit better. And they'd probably be required to shave.

"And the private would know better than to call the other one by name.

"And why did Jed go into the hut if not to try to find out if the real Guards knew about our approach."

*SIGH*

"Boss? I think we should go back. I think it would help us get in good with the Guild if we rescued a couple of their people."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

After a moment, the lead carriage begins to slow, then the whole caravan comes to a halt. The door to Hestor's carriage swings open and he hops out. He walks back to your wagon and stops in front of the door at its rear, looking in at the three of you. The Fox brings her horse up alongside, apparently wanting to listen to whatever's said.

Hestor crosses his arms, looking serious. "Alright, Mr. Gin. What is it you are proposing we do? Remember, we'd rather not draw too much attention to ourselves."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"I'm thinking those guys aren't the real Guild guards. I'm thinking they did something with the real Guild guards. If we go back and look into it, we might end up revealing a situation that would put us in good standing with the Guild. We might even find the real Guards trussed up in that hut, and save them.

"Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's a waste of time. I'm just giving you my thoughts, since there's the possibility for us to gain the Guild's good graces. Obviously, it's your decision."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"I have been thinking the same thing," Paula chimed in. "It could benefit us if these are not the real guards."

She looked at Bela, "On the other hand, we could be in big trouble if they *were* real guards.

"It's risky either way."
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"I think we should make our decision..." *ahem* "I think you should make your decision based on what's really going on back there, Boss. Yeah, it could be a few things. But I think the strongest possibility, based on the facts we know, is that Jed and the private are not Guild guards. By itself, maybe it doesn't matter. Does the Guild care of people are pretending to be their Guards?

"But I also think it's possible that the real Guards are in that hut. Possibly in trouble. That might be a little more important to the Guild. It's certainly more important to the guards. Somebody or other might be happy with us if we help them.'
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hestor nods a little. "You aren't certain there are people in danger, but you believe the possibility is worth the risk."

"Don't see that it's really our problem," The Fox chimes in. "We're through, and Jovian is right ahead of us."

"Noted," Hestor responds. He turns back to you. "Now, you are the ones who spoke to these men. Are they dangerous? If you go back there, how would you approach this?"
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"You've never seen me in a fight. I'm not a fighter. But even I know those two aren't a threat. Paula could ask them nicely. If that doesn't work, we could tell them to stand aside, and see what's in the hut. If they won't, we have a couple here *glance at The Fox and Richard* who can get them out of the way, one way or another."

Looking around. "Paula? Richard?"
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"I tend to agree with the Fox. Not our problem.

"However, *if* we went back there, we have to overpower those two quickly, and preferably quietly. Paula would need to distract the big guy, Jed, and I'd take that young punk while the Fox would take Jed. We'd have to immobilise them," as opposed to permanently silence them, "while we checked out the hut. Bela could go to the hut to see what's going on in there.

"If there are guards in there, they can probably deal with these two impostors, but if the guards are dead, or nowhere to be seen, we'd have to decide what to do with them. We don't want to take them with us...

"Whether it's worth the risk, I don't know. If it were me, I'd leave it, and keep moving forward. We had our chance to deal with it before. Still, if that's what you want to do..." Richard looks at Hester.

Return to “Heart of God: The Outsiders”