Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Sara, what can you tell me about Smoak?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula:
[I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you would be rolling for at this point? If it's only to double down on the charm, this guy is already won over by your first roll, and another would probably just risk a penalty. It'll be a different matter if you try to get more out of him than just answers to a few questions.]

"Usually as youths, yes, but the apprenticeships are open to any who show promise, particularly if they have the support of a Guild member."

Bela:
Sara is anxiously watching Paula and the Magistrate, though neither of you can quite make out all of their conversation from where you're sitting. You notice she's picked up a cloth napkin from the table and is idly twisting the material in her hands as she watches.
Your question seems to take a moment to penetrate, then she turns to you, seeming almost glad for the distraction. "He's a creep," she says. "Owns most of the neighbourhood, charges what he wants, and milks people dry through his gambling house on top. He seems to thrive on keeping people under his thumb."
She picks up a leftover morsel of food from her plate and chews on it a bit, then continues. "And the Guild doesn't care. We're outside the walls; he pays his dues but no one checks if he's following the rules."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"I see," Paula replied, know what Sara might be required to do to get the support of a Guild member. It might be more than she is willing to pay, especially if the Guild member was the unsavory sort.

"One more question, if you would be so kind," Paula began. "What is the cost of the fees?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula:
"Oh," he waves his hand, "There are no fees for an apprenticeship. There are costs of course, but those would be covered by the Guild member to whom they are apprenticed." His brows draw down into a more stern expression. "The positions are very competitive, however, and I think I would be correct in my surmise that this friend of yours would not have the support of a sponsor?"
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

*That's interesting.* Paula is having a conversation with the grumpy, self-righteous son of a bitch who walked out of the bank. Her level of charm is sickening, but very valuable in the scheme of things. A little to the side, Richard sees Bela talking with Sara. Hoping that they will eventually head in the direction of the Hall, Richard shuffles along a little closer to them. *I want to check out that side entrance at some stage, but might need to wait for that prick guard to end his shift, or I might be ok with Paula and Bela in tow.*

Richard continues to keep his distance. His companions might be interested in the potential for construction drawings of the bank, once they've finished with their business.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

I'm Murrin wrote:Paula:
"Oh," he waves his hand, "There are no fees for an apprenticeship. There are costs of course, but those would be covered by the Guild member to whom they are apprenticed." His brows draw down into a more stern expression. "The positions are very competitive, however, and I think I would be correct in my surmise that this friend of yours would not have the support of a sponsor?"
Paula looked a bit crestfallen.

"You would be correct. She does not have a sponsor. Would she be allowed to present herself for consideration, perhaps?"
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"Is Smoak from here?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula:
[Roll: 3 [+2 Charm, +2 Persuasive] = 7]
[Paula gains 1 xp]
[So, based on that roll there's going to be a cost for getting Umbar Keren's help; we will get to that very soon.]

The magistrate looks a little more calculating as he says, "Perhaps I might be able to arrange something. Your friend, she is educated? Can she read and write? How is she with numbers?"

Bela:
Sara shrugs. "I dont know. I guess he must be."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula saw the look in his eyes change a bit and wondered what he was thinking. His questions took her offguard, though, so she she reasoned aloud.

"I believe she does know numbers although I'm not so sure about formal education. She is quite a talented seamstress and reading and mathematics are essential knowledge for that.

"But, faith in Jove is the key element, is it not? Would not the sponsor see to any missing education if the person was strong of faith? Would it then really matter if there was a lack of education?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula:

"We all serve the will of our Lady, of course. And under normal circumstances you would be correct, but it does not seem to me as though these are normal circumstances for your friend. Indeed, given the way that she is staring at me right now I think she is in dire need." After he says this, he turns and gives a smile and nod in the direction of Sara sitting at the cafe table.
"So, I am willing to make you an offer. I believe I can find a position for your friend on my junior staff. She would have to prove competent, of course, but I will give her an opportunity to do so.
"There is one condition, however - that you agree to have dinner with me tonight."
Magistrate Umbar Keren smiles and waits for you to reply.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula looked at the magistrate knowingly. She smiled her own smile which seemed to say 'Welcome to my lair, said the spider to the fly.' This wasn't the first time she had been so propositioned and as long as she was young enough, it would not be the last.

"I would be delighted to have dinner with you, Umbar" she replied with sweetness. "I shall meet you at the Guild Hall at 8. I will bring Sara with me and she can start right away.

"See you then," Paula said with a sparkle in her eye. She sauntered away from the magistrate with a swing in her hips, distracting him as best she could before he had to rush away.

It was almost too easy. It would give her entrance to the Guild Hall and meet some of the other Guild members and if her luck held out she would see...

As Paula approached the table where Bela and Sara sat, she said, "Well, I got you in. Tonight you and I will go to the Guild Hall and you will begin your apprenticeship with Magistrate Keren. You will have to work hard and do well but I think you will manage fine. Not only will this keep your landlord off your back but it will provide a better life for your children."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula and Bela:
Sara looks briefly stunned, then smiles. "Oh, thank the Lady. And thank you, Paula. How did you even get him to agree to this?" There's still a little trepidation in her face as she looks off toward the Magistrate, who is walking away across the square again.

Richard:
You see Paula turn and walk away from the bald man, back toward Bela and Sara at the cafe. The man stands for a moment watching, then turns and continues across the square in the direction of the Guild Hall.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"I said I would have dinner with him," Paula replied with confidence. "So go prepare yourself and meet us back here at 7:30."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula and Bela:
"Tonight? That seems a little unusual, to begin work at night, but if that is what he wants..." She looks a little wistful. "This has all happened so fast. Thank you again Paula. And thank you, Bela. You have both been too kind."
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

"Not unusual because I will be going with you. I didn't want him to try and get out of it if you had shown up tomorrow, for example, by saying he wasn't aware of the arrangement.

"Now, go prepare and meet back here at 7:30. I have some things I need to talk to Bela about."

Paula looked around for Slade.
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Richard hesitates for a moment, considering whether it would be worth following the bald man to see which entrance he takes, but decides against going back to the Hall at this stage. He moves through the crowds towards the cafe where his companions and Sara are still in conversation.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Sara leaves, heading off across the square.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula waves Slade over as Sara leaves. As he comes within ear distance, Paula says, "I have an in to the Guild Hall. Magistrate Keren has invited me to dinner tonight. I figured you could shadow Sara and I and see if you can find another entrance. Failing that, at least I will get a look inside."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[Deleted post. Continue as if it had never been posted.]
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"Ok, he's a magistrate.. that makes sense. I encountered him walking out of the bank, all self-important and dismissive. You've done well to get in with him. He looks like he could be influential, but also has a dangerous look about him. The clerk I spoke to at the bank shrunk away from him as if she'd been slapped.

"Apparently, the Guild historian has construction records of some of the city's buildings, including the bank. If that's true, it would be very valuable to somehow get a copy of them. You may be able to find out more about that tonight. I'm afraid any efforts on my part to talk with people has gone as expected... as you probably know by now, it's not one of my strengths..." Richard looks at Paula and Bela for a moment, and then shrugs and continues, "I'm happy to stay in the shadows and look for an alternative way in. If you can find out where these records are located, if they exist, you may be able to send word to me somehow, and there may be a way to get hold of them. Obviously that's a lot of
ifs...

"We should let Hester know of our plans."

Return to “Heart of God: The Outsiders”