Kingdom Come Deliverance

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, you're not dirty / wearing poor clothing / something? I don't recall ever being turned away even with stolen items in my possession.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: It was always going to happen sooner or later Av! I believe it's part of the game's mechanics that when you start living outside of the normal morality constraints that most people abide by, even if you don't get caught the general air of mistrust and suspicion your (even undiscovered) acts of perfidity cause reflect back on you with this type of result. The recommendation seems to be that you don't 'foul your own nest' as it were, and keep your darker activities well away from your place of normal abode. I understand by taking quests to clear out bandit camps you can effectively clean your slate and begin afresh with a repolished reputation.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I dunno, I mean, I scarcely lived a blameless life, but my criminality wasn't ever discovered or remarked upon that I recall. (Also things might have changed in subsequent updates, been a good while since I played.)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm guessing my reputation is going to nosedive pretty soon anyways; I've been taken on as the apprentice of an itinerant charlatan and am fast learner the skills I shall need to pursue a life of grift (defined as 'a small scale petty swindler' which sounds about right). I've completed two of the tasks needed to qualify (the last involved stealing the damn teeth out of a fellow's head for God sake) and now all I have to do is get a branch of some topping off tree or something. Problem is it's half way up the side of a bloody cathedral sticking out of the wall and not having wings (or my Skyrim dragon) to hand, getting it might be a problem!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Oh yeah Peter, I have to resort to Google when they say things like "There's a spade around here somewhere" and I look for an hour without finding the damn thing. Searches in this game are brutal.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Played the Johanka DLC over the past few days in which I elected to defend her in ecclesiastical court against charges of heresy. Needless to say she was flailed and had her tongue torn out with pincers as a result of my efforts, so that went well.

8O

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Damn, I should go back to this...haven't actually played any of the DLC, despite owning them.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

That's a very good DLC Av - probably the best I've done so far.

:)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I shall try and get back into it.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

A couple of odd things to record in respect of kcd in the last few days (in an amusingly strange sort of way, if you get me).

First, I happened to spot a vid on the making and release of the game put up by Warhorse on YouTube and during the course of it they spoke briefly to the actor who plays Henry of Skalitz. He looks exactly - exactly - as he does in the game and it was a slightly weird experience to see this character that you effectively insert yourself into for a few hours a day (and to all intents and purposes take over for your own) acting as the free entity that he obviously is. It was almost like someone had stolen your character, with a subliminal urge to say "Hey, get out of there! That's my body you are in there."

Second, the other day I decided to get out of the suit of armour that I/Henry just about lives and sleeps in and put on some of the fine clothes I have collected in my trunk. I had a job to do that needed some delicate negotiating skills and decided my 'charisma' stats could do with a bit of help. Going to my room in Rattay Castle (I have become oddly reticent about changing clothes out in public and while I will do so if circumstances demand it, by and large tend to do so in privacy) I selected my finest fare and went to step out style. Opening the door it transpired that the weather had changed and it was pissing it down with win. The mud pathways of the Rattay thoroughfare were bepuddled and filthy in result and for the briefest of moments I experienced exactly the same sensation as I would in the real world on the realisation that my new shoes would get filthy.

It only lasted the briefest of moments, but intrigued me that in playing these games they can get so far inside one as to co-opt the mind's real sensational mechanisms in response to the virtual situations of their content. True, the game mechanics are such that clothing becomes dirty, shoes become ruined, and I would have been picking up on that - but this was for the briefest of moments the same sensation, not a game constructed equivalent.

8O

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

That's exactly what they're trying to do...the name of the game is immersion... :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: But it goes further Av; I've actually found myself aping Henry's mannerisms - particularly one in which he shakes his finger at people when he wants to emphasize something that he is saying. To date it hasn't got me into any trouble, but it's not a thing I'd normally do (out of politeness).

Write a hundred lines Peter;

"I am Peter not Henry"
"I am Peter not Henry"
"I am Peter............"

;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Hahahaha, as long as you're enjoying it. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

What a weird thing it was to see Tom McKay, the actor who plays Henry of Skalitz, giving an interview on YouTube....... almost like I'd been transported out into another body, so much time and immersion have I invested into this character. KCD is beyond question the most immersing game I have ever played - the very detail of the game (having to feed yourself, bath, clean and repair your clothes, sleep etc) demands it......but it's more than that. The whole experience has a reality to it, one that the makers, Warhorse Studios, have laboured hard to create, from the detail of the environment to the very story of which Henry forms a small part. The game bleeds reality, and subsequent immersion, from every pore.

But all things must end and at last I have completed the game, so here are some of my final thoughts. Firstly, don't start this game unless you are prepared to put in the hours. It simply won't give your time the return it deserves unless you are prepared to do the slog. But doing the slog is in itself so satisfying - every lock hard picked, every bruise, hard earned - that it is no time at all before you realise that you are learning, earning the leveling up, getting the hours under your belt, without so much as even realising it. For me, I found this part of the game quite possibly the best - your satisfaction at finishing that quest, winning that skirmish, stealing that book is unmatched, and when I had finally become proficient to the point where I could fight, steal, coerce and flatter my way through virtually any situation, that I faced with relative ease (this takes hours and hours of playing mind you) then to some extent what remains is just following the story. But what a story it is! The cut scenes get better, the battles more intense, Henry's involvement more pivotal, as the game progresses, to the point where the end, when it comes, leaves you a bit winded and lost as to where you are.

Specifically with regard to the ending, but without spoilering the same, it would be safe to say that the developers have definitely got a second game in mind. While the ending does see at least one of the 'campaigns' Henry is involved in wound up, there are central parts of the story that in no way receive resolution and are begging out for their story to be told. In fact as we speak, rumours are growing that the follow up game is not too far away from completion - but given that the first game took years in it's development, I would not be holding my breath for any early time release. But on a note as to what can be done post the main quest, I am according to the completion bar on my console, about fifty percent through the game in terms of what can be gotten trophy wise and in terms of my advancement of skills. This point is brought home in a terminal fashion in that, if I go wandering in the woods and meet a group of well armed Cumin soldiers, I'm toast! Even having finished most of the side quests that are not simply endless revolving ones and the main quest, I'm not by any means an invincible Titan bestriding the world like a Colossus. Far from it, because this is a reality based game, not a Skyrim. Here, you get caught alone in the wrong place and it's curtains.

So goodbye Skalitz, goodbye Rattay and medieval Bohemia. Goodbye Theresa and Sir Radzig and goodbye Henry. The journey was a long and hard one, but boy was it satisfying! I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

:D I did like Sir Radzig, and the ending did make me look forward to a sequel. Had no idea one was definitely in the works, but shall keep an eye out for news.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I think Warhorse have been taken over by a bigger studio Av, and one rumour was that the game was about two years away. Also heard that you may be able to play the next one third person, but you know how it is - this stuff gets bandied about on the fan sites etc and most of it doesn't add up to much.

:)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Huh, totally news to me.

But then, although I knew of its existence, the only reason I knew EG2 had released was because somebody on Discord had their linked steam account displaying that they were playing it. :D

I was like "that's out?" :D (And immediately bought it.)

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

That happened to me with Donaldson's The Wounded Land. Walking down the road passing a bookstore window, I saw the unmistakable artwork of a TC novel on a book I hadn't even known was in the writing. More - a follow up to the favourite series of books I had ever read! Words cannot express how much I loved the TC books of the first series and this was a huge event, to see the new book suddenly in front of me. I ran home, ponced the money from my mother to buy the book and ran back to the shop. Got there within minutes of closing time and bought it. My hands were shaking with emotion as I passed over the money. :lol: Happy days!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yeah, I've had that before. :D

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

There was an interview a few months back where the director talked about the story being planned in four parts. They originally wanted to do it all with DLC but, after beginning work on the second part, they realized they just needed to do a full sequel, so that's what they've been working on.

I don't know if it'll remain a four-part story, or if that'll change as they release the next installment. Either way, I can't wait for it.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Return to “PC & Console Games”