Uncut Gems

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Uncut Gems

Post by peter »

Now here's an interesting film streaming on Netflix that puts Adam Sandler at last into a role that is worthy of his talents. Sandler plays the part of Howard Ratner, a Jewish diamond merchant that is deep in hock to some very nasty people due to his gambling addiction, but manages to access a rare Ethiopian black opal with which he hopes to turn his fortunes around.

Shaking off his usual comedy schtick with an almost audible sigh of relief Sandler is rough and ragged in the role, bouncing with speed and ease between the frenetic dealing and excuses he must make to keep the thugs of the loan-shark world off his back and the fast-talking schmooze he must dole out to his high end customers. Caught between a demanding and critical wife, a disinterested family and a besotted employee half his age with whom he is having a torrid affair, his life spirals into chaos and disarray as the inevitable collapse of the house of cards he has built comes ever closer.

The film races at a frenetic pace and keeps you hooked until the final scenes (which are unexpected to say the least) after which you slump back in a sort of relief that the tension is over. Directed by the brothers, Josh and Bennie Safdi the film has Martin Scorsese as executive director, a clue that there is probably something special about it, and it has garnered some degree of acclaim around the smaller and independent award ceremonies. Definitely worth a visit if only to see what Sandler is capable of in the hands of a good director and script.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

see Punch Drunk Love for Sandler's previous best work.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Need to do this Sarge. As I was posting I was thinking that I hadn't actually kept up with his latter catalogue.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Its the only movie of his I own even though he grew up in my native New Hampshire.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Despite hating the director and not being much of an Adam Sandler fan, I loved Punch Drunk Love. My personal Adam Sandler library contains Punch Drunk Love and Airheads.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Airheads while amusing was a Brendan Frasier lead. Adam does have a role that fits him in that. 😆
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Neither film available on Netflix, Prime or Sky! Why is it that the moment I search for any particular film (often one's I've seen a hundred times before and passed by) it is found to be missing! It's like they do it on purpose!

;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I've yet to see Uncut Gems.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's very edgy Sarge and the ending will suprise you; I'm motivated to fill in the gaps on Sandler's earlier stuff by virtue of it. (I still have a soft spot for that lovely film he made with Drew Barrymore; what a beautiful girl she was!)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I like some of his comedies. Happy Gilmour, the Water Boy. The Wedding Singer, Billy Madison, Airheads, Big Daddy.

Are you are thinking of 50 First Dates, Blended or the Wedding Singer?

He has also worked with Jessica Biel, Jennifer Aniston, Julie Bowen,
Fairuza Balk, Joey Lauren Adams, Patricia Arquette, Emily Watson, Winona Ryder, Marisa Tomei, Tea Leoni, Courtney Cox, Kate Beckinsale, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Keri Russell, Leslie Mann, Salma Hayek, Brooklyn Decker, Katie Holmes, Susan Sarandon, Rosemarie DeWitt, Melonie Diaz, Michelle Monaghan, Julia Jones,
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

50 First Dates I've seen (I'd forgotten so though until you mentioned it) but The Wedding Singer was the one I had in mind. Great film!

:)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”