Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies

Archive From The 'Tank

Are you excited about the future of the Supreme Court following the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 6

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies

Post by Gaius Octavius »

After praying for the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, supreme court justice, for months, Trumpists have finally gotten their wish.

Source
Ginsburg died on Friday of metastatic pancreatic cancer at her home in Washington, DC, surrounded by her family, the statement said.
Earlier this year, Ginsburg said she was undergoing chemotherapy for a recurrence of cancer.
She was a prominent feminist who became a figurehead for liberals in the US.
Ginsburg was the oldest sitting justice on the Supreme Court, having served 27 years on the nation's highest court.
"Our Nation has lost a jurist of historic stature," Chief Justice John Roberts said in a statement on Friday. "We at the Supreme Court have lost a cherished colleague. Today we mourn, but with confidence that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her - a tireless and resolute champion of justice."
US Supreme Court justices serve for life or until they choose to retire, and supporters had expressed concern that a more conservative justice could succeed Ginsburg.
Ginsberg's death will spark a political battle over who will succeed her, spurring debate about the future of the Supreme Court ahead of November's presidential election.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Ur - who has been praying for her death?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

That's a rather odd way to phrase the poll question, Nano.

Excited? No. Apprehensive? Absolutely.

This has nothing to do with who gets nominated, much less confirmed. My concern is for what the process will do.

Four years ago, the Senate Majority Leader clung to a tenuous precedent from February through Election Day and would not even take up a Supreme Court appointment in an election year. I do not expect that precedent to be a priority for him and the GOP now; there will be a warp-speed attempt to nominate, hold hearings, and confirm. I also expect that there will be some opposition to this.

Really? Do we not have enough friction points and challenges right now?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

To be honest, Republicans are really pieces of shit.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

You know, I was going to put this in the SCOTUS thread but I suppose it really is important enough to warrant its own thread.

That being said, absolutely no one other than actual pieces of shit prayed for Ginsberg to die and you damned well know it. You are turning into another wayfriend, posting things just to try and stir up trouble. Whatever. Of course, you are free to try and find proof that anyone here wished for her death but you won't find any, unless you really take people's words and stretch them to the point of unrecognizeability.

Now, Trump must fulfill his Constitutional duty and nominate someone to fill that seat on the Supreme Court and the Senate must also fulfill its Constitutional duty and hold confirmation hearings for that nominee. It is highly likely that Trump already has a short list of people to nominate and McConnell will have to make certain to call the Senate in for a special session, if need be, to hold the hearings and the vote. I concur with Savor Dam's assessment--the Republican-led Senate will do everything they can to fast-track the hearings and the confirmation vote, up to and including the nuclear option (thank you, Harry Reid, for finally bending that rule to the point where it may be broken) while Democrats are going to be screeching--yes, literally screeching--that no confirmation hearings should be held before the election this November. Too bad, Democrats--you can't always get what you want.

At least we will have the SCOTUS to help protect us against what will likely be a Biden victory in November.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

trump needs to start the nomination Monday.

Ur - I've promised not to tell fellow posters to go f♡ck themselves.
So I won't. But you have become as bad as WF. You no longer serve any useful purpose.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:You know, I was going to put this in the SCOTUS thread but I suppose it really is important enough to warrant its own thread.

That being said, absolutely no one other than actual pieces of shit prayed for Ginsberg to die and you damned well know it. You are turning into another wayfriend, posting things just to try and stir up trouble. Whatever. Of course, you are free to try and find proof that anyone here wished for her death but you won't find any, unless you really take people's words and stretch them to the point of unrecognizeability.

Now, Trump must fulfill his Constitutional duty and nominate someone to fill that seat on the Supreme Court and the Senate must also fulfill its Constitutional duty and hold confirmation hearings for that nominee. It is highly likely that Trump already has a short list of people to nominate and McConnell will have to make certain to call the Senate in for a special session, if need be, to hold the hearings and the vote. I concur with Savor Dam's assessment--the Republican-led Senate will do everything they can to fast-track the hearings and the confirmation vote, up to and including the nuclear option (thank you, Harry Reid, for finally bending that rule to the point where it may be broken) while Democrats are going to be screeching--yes, literally screeching--that no confirmation hearings should be held before the election this November. Too bad, Democrats--you can't always get what you want.

At least we will have the SCOTUS to help protect us against what will likely be a Biden victory in November.
What about the FUCKING precedent that McConnell himself made in 2016 not to have a vote on Merrick Garland because it was an election year?

Waiting until after the election would be the right thing to do. If the Supreme Court could wait as long as it did in 2016, it can surely wait 2 months for the 2020 election.

Jesus fucking Christ, you are a goddamn hypocrite. You and every other goddamn GOP propagandist.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

sgt.null wrote:trump needs to start the nomination Monday.

Ur - I've promised not to tell fellow posters to go f♡ck themselves.
So I won't. But you have become as bad as WF. You no longer serve any useful purpose.
Feeling's mutual.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Ur - i know you are counting on Biden passing debt relief for college
So you aren't voting on convictipn or principle. You and your kind are just grifters. Hoping someone will pay your way. Grow up, become a man. Why not go out and violently protest when Trump selects the next member of Scotus.

Precedent for not hearing on Merrick Garland...
https://youtu.be/qPAzVNmOYgM

But with Democrats behaviour during the Kavanaugh hearing? That's off the table. Liberals burning and looting and assaulting and murdering? Everything is fair.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I never said anything about counting on Biden's debt relief for college. I don't need it. That is just a fantasy in Hashi's mind because apparently I live in your heads rent-free.

I am somewhat flattered that you are so obsessed with me, though.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

ur-Nanothnir wrote:What about the FUCKING precedent that McConnell himself made in 2016 not to have a vote on Merrick Garland because it was an election year?
If McConnell chooses not to follow his own precedent then that is on him and him alone; I have nothing to do with it because I don't tell him what to do.

My advice would be: fast-track the nomination (the list already exists), fast-track the confirmation hearings, but learn the lessons from the Kavanaugh debacle: do not give Democrats time to dig thorugh the person's history and attempt to haul non-credible people before the Senate in public hearing. Instead, once the nomination happens put that person on a plane to Washington, D. C. and begin the confirmation hearings within 3 days--edit: no, put that person on a plane right now, then nominate them, so they cannot be doxxed and wild-ass rioters show up at their house to prevent them from getting on the plane-- take only a week or two for the hearings, which will be televised but no public are allowed to attend--the Constitution does not require that all Senate hearings be open to the public--and then hold an up-or-down vote on the full floor of the Senate with no proxies allowed--either each Senator is present to vote or they don't vote. Senator Harris will have to choose--campaign on the trail or attend confirmation hearings. The Senate gets to set its own rules, and it may disallow proxies if it so deisres.

If Democrats in the Senate try to pull what they did here in Texas and leave the country to prevent a quorum then I suppose Trump will just have to be allowed to put his nominee on the Court until the confirmation hearings can be held. If the Republicans hold the Senate, which is likely, and Biden wins then they can just keep voting "no" on every person he nominates for the next 4 years. If Biden does not win then the nominee will be confirmed as usual. Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

Incidentally, the only time I think about you is when I am here because you are becoming nothing more than a whiner who thinks an online temper tantrum about Trump means something. Since you and Sarge have mutually decided that the other serves no useful purpose, I expect the two of you to leave each other the hell alone from now on, which means no responding to each other. Of course, I cannot make either of you do that, but that is sound advice.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

excellent advice. They need to move the nominees family 👪 before the left gets a chance to go after them. And if the left does harm a government employee, will the media finally notice?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

McConnell is a detestable human ... sooo much hypocrisy and double standards.

I was touched to hear Trump say he was saddened at Ginsburg’s passing. And that she was an amazing woman who lead an amazing life.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Sky - double standards? Buden himself came up with not voting for a justice during an election. Harry Reid changed the numbers needed on voting, allowing Republicans to use the nuclear option.

The difference now is Republicans started fighting like Democrats.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Again with the insults guys. Why do I even bother?

If we can't discuss this kind of thing without resorting to them, maybe it's just not worth it.

I hope for a better level of discourse than this, and I would like to see it please.

To get back on topic, can't the dems just do what the reps did last time and block the appointment until after the election?

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Here is a Twitter feed featuring wishes for McConnell to die from a stroke, calling for assassinations, a user named "Saint Laurent Debutatnte" calling for burning the country down if we get a SCOTUS appointee before another stimulus check, and Emmett Macfarlane--a political science professor at Waterloo University in Canada--stating that Congress should be burned down before Trump gets to appoint anyone. From Scott Ross, a member of the Wisconsin Ethics Commission: "If you can't shut it down, burn it down."

Some relative of Ginsberg's said that the Justice's last wish was for the seat to remain unfilled until after the election. Not only is that story anecdotal and unprovable, it is not Constitutional. There is no clause saying that the empty seat needs to remain unfilled out of respect for any amount of time or that vicious political fighting should prevent the seat from being filled. The Constitutionally-mandated duties are for the POTUS to nominate and the Senate to hold a vote to confirm or deny--the Senate does not even have to hold confirmation hearings, only hold a vote. Given that last statement I will update my earlier advice: get the prosective nominee under Federal Marshal protection, nominate them, then have the Senate allow every Senator to make comments before holding a vote with no hearings.

If the situations were reversed--Clinton in the White House and a Democrat-led Senate--there would be a 100% certainty that they would fast-track the nomination and confirmation ahead of the elections. Political reality.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:If the situations were reversed--Clinton in the White House and a Democrat-led Senate--there would be a 100% certainty that they would fast-track the nomination and confirmation ahead of the elections. Political reality.
That is of course an unprovable hypothetical... but in my view absolutely accurate.

Thing is that there are no morals or standards when it comes to political expediency, so anyone playing a "holier than thou" hypocrite card is full of shit. Yes of course the hypocrisy is absolutely slap in the face blatant, but the other side would be doing the exact same thing if given the opportunity.

I tell you, it was hard to see how you guys over there could be even more screwed, but this adds the worryingly bitter topping to the shit sandwich your politicos continue to busily built for you all.

Is it time yet for the US to split into two separate nations? How long before it doesn't become a matter of choice, but of necessity?
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:Again with the insults guys. Why do I even bother?

If we can't discuss this kind of thing without resorting to them, maybe it's just not worth it.

I hope for a better level of discourse than this, and I would like to see it please.

To get back on topic, can't the dems just do what the reps did last time and block the appointment until after the election?

--A
Av - this entire thread is Ur insulting all of us hesr save Wos and Sky.
And it is in keeping with the Left's position as Hashi points out.

This is what liberals have become in America. A bunch of violent thugs willing to do harm to those who don't agree with them. Threads like this are Ur symbolically burning stuff down. Because he can't argue a point.

If you argue with me, I'll find vids and links. I'll go through piece by piece. I've done this over and over. The left's reply is orange man bad. I'm not the one going off the rails. Talk to Ur. I'll treat you how you treat me.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

TheFallen wrote:Is it time yet for the US to split into two separate nations? How long before it doesn't become a matter of choice, but of necessity?
We are closer to that point now than we have been in a very long time but we still are not there yet. A lot of it depends upon the results this November and we may not have official results for a month.

No, my comment about the situation being reversed is opinion and therefore need not be proven. As TF notes, political expediency is the only rule these people obey.

Sarge, go reread the comments relating to that article Wosbald posted about the British cross-dresser (is that still a word?) who spoke with both conservatives and liberals and which group he found to be "nicer". Forget what the Media tells you--conservatives are actually more tolerant and accepting of differing viewpoints because we are not treating our political beliefs as if they were articles of faith inscribed on tablets of stone and anyone who dares question them or not adhere to them in every way is to be cast out and/or cast aside. Look what Democrats did to Tulsi Gabbard, who recently introduced a bill to address election fraud--after voting "no" on impeachment they denied her access to every subsequent debate until she dropped out.

sgt.null wrote:Av - this entire thread is Ur insulting all of us hesr save Wos and Sky.
And it is in keeping with the Left's position as Hashi points out.
That is why I advise to stop responding to him. It isn't worth it and you don't need the frustration.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

sgt.null wrote: Av - this entire thread is Ur insulting all of us hesr save Wos and Sky.

This is what liberals have become in America. A bunch of violent thugs .
;) :LOLS:

Return to “Coercri”