The Avengers

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

The Avengers

Post by Fist and Faith »

Seems odd that there isn't a thread for the comic book. Unless I missed it. And no possibility of keeping it on track, but that's ok.

The reason I'm making this thread is the current storyline: The Age of Khonshu. Very much enjoying it. I haven't collected comics in years. But I am a huge fan of the e-comics, as I am of e-books. The quality is fantastic. And, of course, won't get worse. I've bought some old comics on kindle, and they look brand new. (Miller's original run of DD. Iron Fist/MTU/PMIF.) I didn't read the first 32 issues of this current run, with writer Jason Aaron. Big stories. Celestials. Star Brand. This particular storyline is the craziest thing. Moon Knight is just outrageous. Current issue, 36, Black Panther is about as cool as it is possible for a character to be. Excellent art, by Javier Garron. Never heard of writer or artist until some ad looked interesting and I bought 33.

My intro to the Avengers was the few issues leading up to #200, lo these many years ago. Ms Marvel, Wonder Man, Beast, Wanda & Vision, Cap, Iron Man. Great great stuff. Those are my golden memories. Had never heard of Wonder Man, but his shades and safari jacket were too cool! :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

The Moon Knight run sounds great. He's grown up from being a Batman rip off.

I always liked Wonder Man. Tbe safari jacket was one if the oddest costume choices ever. George Perez can make any character look good.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I just got the first storyline, with the Celestials. The Celestial Saga, ending in Thor 300, was among my first comics. So I have a soft spot for the Celestials (and Eternals). I'm sure it will be good.

Yes, good lord, Perez is amazing. And Wonder Man was I guess the first superhero without a costume I ever saw. That alone made him cool.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I wish Kirby had been able to finish his Eternals story. Lots of great concepts and characters there.

I'm hoping the movie is good.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Cannot wait for the movie! I don't remember reading Kirby's Eternals.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternals_(comics)

I would love to see a New Gods / Etdrnals crossover.

I really like this idea.

"While Zuras ruled, three new Eternal cities were built. The first was Olympia, located in the mountains of Greece, near the main portal between the Earth dimension and the Olympians' home dimension, which led many ancient Greeks to confuse some of the godlike Eternals with members of the Olympian pantheon. Eventually, an agreement was reached with the gods where some Eternals, such as Thena, would impersonate the Olympians before their worshipers. The other two Eternal cities were Polaria (located in Siberia) and Oceana (in the Pacific).
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My favorite Eternal moment is Sersi vs Exodus in Avengers/X-Men Bloodties. The whole Sersi & Black Knight relationship was such a great thing.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I am glad Marvel decided to bring Dane Whitman (Blsck Knight) back.

I've not read Bloodties. I'll look for it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It's a great multi-issue crossover.

Dane is great. I emailed several times with John Ostrander when he was writing Heroes for Hire. Paul Smith drew an excellent Dane in a couple issues of Dr Strange looooong ago.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I loved Ostrander on his Suicide Squad run. Got my first letter printed in a comic during that run. Was not aware he did Heroes for Hire. The original Human Torch was a member?

Paul Smith did the art in one of my favorite comics. The Golden Age miniseries written by James Robison [who did one of my favorite series ever. DC's Starman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Age_(comics)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(Jack_Knight)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Suicide Squad was excellent.

Not familiar with The Golden Age. But you can't argue with Robinson. His JSA was also great. Starman cut off Mordru's arm! What more do you want?!? And i just googled, and Golden Age has Paul Kirk. Count me in.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

There was a recent reissuing of Golden Age. I highly recommend it. Let me know if you get it and what you think of it.

James Robinson recently did the All-New Invaders. In issue #12 he did a story about WWI's Freedom's Five. the January 2015 issue.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/all-new- ... 00-471311/

Its a great series, but it also serves as a stand alone story about the Freedom's Five.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Freedom's Five

During WWI a group of five heroes of unknown background fought together as the Freedom's Five. The team consisted of Phantom Eagle, the Crimson CavalierUnion JackSir Steel, and the Silver Squire. They waged war against the Germans, their allies, and their super powered agents, such as the vampire Baron Blood.

By 1917, Freedom's Five included Iron Fist (Orson Randall) in place of the injured Silver Squire. The Five battled the invading forces of the Martians in London, finally repelling the invasion with the help of Eben Stafford and his Men on The Wall.

Eben Stafford was part of the Men on The Wall, a group of various people of unknown origin with high technology weapons who protected the Earth from alien threats from the shadows and in complete autonomy for decades. When the Martians invaded London in 1917, they were directly opposed by the superhero team Freedom's Five. Stafford and his men battled the invaders and helped Freedom's Five from the shadows, leaving no trace. Eventually, the invaders were repelled. Freedom's Five leader Union Jack would learn his identity some time later. Eventually, all the Men on The Wall except Stafford fell to the intergalactic slavers the Entari. This caused Stafford to act more proactivately against potential alien threats like traveling to space to deal with them there and worked to remain in the shadows as the last Man on The Wall.
Last edited by sgt.null on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Freedom's Five

Phantom Eagle

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Karl_Kaufman_(Earth-616)

Karl Kaufman was an expert pilot who had been born in America to German parents who had since returned to their hometown of Hamburg, Germany. After high school, Kaufman became an expert stunt-pilot and co-owner of a flying circus. Later, to protect his parents from reprisals, Kaufman devised a stylized aviator uniform with darkened goggles and a cape and adopted the masked identity of the Phantom Eagle. The Phantom Eagle engaged in many aerial baffles, downed a remarkable number of German planes, and thus became known as perhaps the greatest aerial warrior of the World War I.

In his first mission as Phantom Eagle, he successfully led a U.S. fighter squadron against an experimental dirigible aircraft carrier with which German forces attempted to invade New York; however, he witnessed the death of his best friend, Rex Griffin, as a result.

The Phantom Eagle joined the Freedom's Five, a team of costumed operatives who were instrumental in bringing about a number of significant victories for the Allies during World War I. The Phantom Eagle was the sole American member of Freedom's Five. One of the greatest adversaries that the Eagle battled as a member of the group was the vampire Baron Blood.

One night shortly before the war's end, the Phantom Eagle flew to his parents' home in Germany so he could fight the Germans under his own name. He was discovered by a German pilot. Hermann von Reitberger, who slaughtered Kaufman and his parents with machine gun fire while they were still on the ground. Determined to gain his vengeance on von Reitberger the Phantom Eagle's spirit remained on Earth. Only a week after his corporeal death, the Phantom Eagle, flying a ghostly plane, shot von Reitberger's plane out of the sky. Von Reitberger survived, but was too frightened to fly again. For decades the Phantom Eagle's ghost haunted von Reitberger. Sometimes von Reitberger somehow managed to escape from the ghost for years at a time, but inevitably the Eagle caught up with him.

Finally, in recent years. Johnny Blaze, who was then the vigilante known as Ghost Rider, encountered both the aged von Reitberger and the Phantom Eagle's pursuing ghost. Driven to desperation von Reitberger challenged the Eagle to aerial combat. Von Reitberger piloted a World War I plane in order to baffle the Eagle in his spectral one. During the combat, the Eagle maneuvered von Reitberger into crashing his plane into a hangar. Von Reitberger died in the crash. Karl Kaufman's spirit, finally freed from his mission of vengeance, passed from the mortal plane.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”