Suicide Squad II

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Suicide Squad II

Post by sgt.null »

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a8379 ... plot-news/

The Suicide Squad,one of the most-anticipated movies of 2021 after James Gunn revealed the first look at his DC sequel at FanDome.

With a largely new cast, the movie will be more like a reboot than a direct sequel to David Ayer's critically-bashed (but commercially-successful) Suicide Squad, although we do have some returning favourites including Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.

But who are those new characters and what can we expect from Gunn's take on the DC anti-hero squad? Here's everything you need to know about The Suicide Squad.

Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn
Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag
Viola Davis as Amanda Waller
Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang
Idris Elba as Bloodsport
John Cena as Peacemaker
Peter Capaldi as The Thinker
Flula Borg as Javelin
Daniela Melchior as Ratcatcher 2
Michael Rooker as Savant
David Dastmalchian as Polka-Dot Man
Mayling Ng as Mongal
Nathan Fillion as TDK
Alica Braga as Sol Soria
Pete Davidson as Blackguard
Sean Gunn as Weasel
Steve Agee as King Shark
Joaquín Cosío as Major General Mateo Suarez
Juan Diego Botto as President General Silvio
LunaStorm Reid as Tyla, Bloodsport's daughter

Not revealed in the roll call video was the role that Taika Waititi will be playing in the movie, although many expect him to be voicing King Shark.

Gunn also revealed on Twitter that Steve Agee will also be playing a character called John Economos and Tinashe Kajese will play Flo Crawley, while during the movie's FanDome panel, it was confirmed that Jennifer Holland is playing Emilia Harcourt.

Perhaps surprisingly, Gunn's favourite character and the one who made him fall in love with the "concept" of the movie is non-superpowered Amanda Waller. There are also those who suspect Fillion's TDK to be a revamped version of Arm-Fall-Off-Boy, renamed The Detachment Kid (also, to poke fun at The Dark Knight).

He also revealed that Dogwelder was considered for the movie, but given the character's concept (he welds dogs to people's faces), Gunn said it wasn't a character "I'd personally want to see expressed cinematically".
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nope. The first was terrible. I can't even.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

But this one's a complete redo written and directed by James Gunn. I'm expecting it to be pretty good.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Gunn can turn a terrible idea into a great movie--most people's first reaction to "they are making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie" ranged from "why?" to "who?" to "oh god it's going to be so terrible". Turned out to be a critical success and the second-highest grossing movie of 2014.

I will go watch this.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Gunn has said that he has complete control. The first was butchered by the studio. There has been talk that we may be getting a directors cut of that. I want to see that. Most of the Joker's scenes were cut.

A poll about who will survive the sequel.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/the-suici ... o-survive/
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

No offense to anyone who enjoyed the first film but for me it was a idiotic dumpster fire. The paper thin characters were Fast and the Furious level depth and a plot an 8 year old would find head scratchingly stupid. I personally don't think adding more deleted scenes with the Joker will change the experience much.

I think the basic concept is fundamentally flawed so I don't have much hope that Gunn will have much luck squeezing anything but another turd from this cinematic sphincter but its possible.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I thought the basic concept was a good one, but the execution sucked.

I think mostly the execution sucked because no one actually cared about the main threat. There were so many pieces that could have been good, but they never materialized, and never cohered into a whole.

When the producers realize that the movie isn't going to gel, they amp up the flash and go for hip.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

https://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-2- ... r-spoiler/

If it is true that Starro is the villain then we will have a better bad guy.

"The teaser from DC FanDome showed grainy footage of battlefield casualties around the Suicide Squad in whatever tropical country is shown in the footage. At least two of those fallen enemies have purple star-like creatures attached to their faces, which is, of course, the modus operandi of Starro The Conqueror. While it hasn't been confirmed yet, the purple color scheme and how they're fitted to the seemingly dead extras is huge evidence to Starro being behind it all."

Starro The Conqueror was a big enough threat in the comics that he was chosen to be the Justice League's first foe after debuting in Brave and the Bold #28 in 1960. An unconventional character by comic book movie standards, Starro is a supremely intelligent alien starfish creature with one giant eye and an army of spore clones capable of attaching themselves to victims and taking over their bodies. He's largely invulnerable, capable of extreme levels of mental suggestion, and is driven by a world-conquering hunger. Basically, the kind of villain you wouldn't want to waste good heroes on.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

"Starro is an alien amalgamate conqueror with both a humanoid central mind commanding spores which resemble either giant or small terran starfish. An asexual creature, Starro's spores are capable of generating clones that act in accordance with the original's will. The clones are parasites by nature, and can attach themselves to a humanoid's face, and subsequently take control of the host's central nervous system, thereby controlling the host. Control of the host is lost once removed from the host."

The host retains use of any powers they have. So members of the Squad can be turned against there teammates.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That sounds like a decent choice for a film with such a large cast of characters and the expectation that any of them can die.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:I thought the basic concept was a good one, but the execution sucked.

I think mostly the execution sucked because no one actually cared about the main threat. There were so many pieces that could have been good, but they never materialized, and never cohered into a whole.

When the producers realize that the movie isn't going to gel, they amp up the flash and go for hip.

Well as I have said in other threads the idea of using the Magnificent Seven / Ghost Busters / Escape from New York / Avengers Initiative for these particular characters is flawed.
None but Diablo and Killer Croc have any meta human powers so why include the rest of them at all?
It's like sending The Punisher, Bullseye, The Lizard, Elektra and the Green Goblin's girlfriend with a baseball bat against Dormammu.
Why would any screen writer come up with this?

Take the same scenario from the first film and pit the protagonists against The Joker and maybe a few lesser villains and you might not strain logic to point that suspension of disbelief is impossible.
I mean it's just as head scratchingly stupid as putting Batman against Superman...wait...

And of course the film's execution was ass.

And I've grown to actively dislike Harley Quinn. Her super power is being mentally ill and the threat she poses is that she is the Jokers girlfriend. Being a smartass isn't a defense against being riddled with bullets. It's all just so much shoehorned nonsense.
But I concede that is the character and you have to cram her in somehow. I just wish it was done with more imagination and less lazy story telling.

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Great cast, so I'll watch it.
The first was vaguely watchable, and this looks better. So I'm in.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

tom - for this film 🎥 the Squad makes sense. You don’t want a Superman 🦸‍♂️ or Flash being controlled. So they have some characters with actual powers (Mongal, Polka Dot Man, King Shark) characters who shoot stuff (Bloodsport, Blackguard, Peacemaker) and at least one to counter program Starro (the Thinker.) if Savant suffers from short term memory loss like in the comics he might be able to resist the starfish.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:Take the same scenario from the first film and pit the protagonists against The Joker and maybe a few lesser villains and you might not strain logic to point that suspension of disbelief is impossible.
I was thinking the same thought as I posted - if they were going up against the Joker, it would have been far more interesting. For one thing, HQ's motivations would have been much more interesting.
aTOMiC wrote:None but Diablo and Killer Croc have any meta human powers so why include the rest of them at all?
Well, that question has been around as long as comics. If you have Superman, what's the point of all the others?

Personally, I think that "human" heroes are necessary. (Maybe "protagonist" is a better word to use when it comes to Suicide Squad.)

But Iron Man 3 answered that question far better than I ever could. So I'll just say "Iron Man 3".
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:Take the same scenario from the first film and pit the protagonists against The Joker and maybe a few lesser villains and you might not strain logic to point that suspension of disbelief is impossible.
I was thinking the same thought as I posted - if they were going up against the Joker, it would have been far more interesting. For one thing, HQ's motivations would have been much more interesting.
aTOMiC wrote:None but Diablo and Killer Croc have any meta human powers so why include the rest of them at all?
Well, that question has been around as long as comics. If you have Superman, what's the point of all the others?

Personally, I think that "human" heroes are necessary. (Maybe "protagonist" is a better word to use when it comes to Suicide Squad.)

But Iron Man 3 answered that question far better than I ever could. So I'll just say "Iron Man 3".
Agreed however I believe Amanda Waller specifically states that the need calls for meta humans. Give any trained soldier Deadshot's equipment and you would get similar results. Give any violent, brain addled woman a baseball bat and you'd get similar results. Captain Boomerang was largely irrelevant. Aside from trapping her victims souls in her sword any swordswoman would get similar results. Pit these mortals against a goddess and her brother able to swat helicopters from the sky and incinerate any living thing within reach and you just get a bunch of dead humans.

The ONLY thing protecting these characters from being instantly vaporized is battleship thick plot armor and that is Saturday morning cartoon quality screen writing which I despise.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:Give any trained soldier Deadshot's equipment and you would get similar results. Give any violent, brain addled woman a baseball bat and you'd get similar results.
I disagree. Every category of human endeavor has individuals who excel at it far beyond others. No one is as good of a shot as Deadshot. And not too many have the combination of cunning, violent tendency, and boldness that Quinn has - otherwise she wouldn't be where she is. So I think that they all bring something to the table.

I do see your point though - what makes them interesting isn't necessarily what makes them a great choice on a mission. But this can be explained away by the conceit of the premise - that the choices are limited to villains who are so bad that they can be brainbombed and no one would mind.

Which is the real failure of the plot -- it never really justifies that conceit. Why couldn't nice heroes be used? Never explained.

But there is this: if you're not willing to suspend a little bit of disbelief somewhere, why are you watching a Marvel or DC movie?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:
But there is this: if you're not willing to suspend a little bit of disbelief somewhere, why are you watching a Marvel or DC movie?
To the Deadshot is a better shot than everyone else. It's not shown in the film, only his superior gadgets. I'd have to already be a fan of Deadshot and Harley Quinn to give each of them the benefit of the doubt and since I am not pre existing fan, i can't or won't.

As to suspension of disbelief I can only say that after faithfully watching every superhero film released since the 1978 Superman I think I've earned the right to be a little picky as a hyper fan of the genre. I can't help but call foul when a film enters my favorite genre and fails because of easily avoided mistakes. Its because I do care that it bothers me.

I have watched Batman and Robin, Elektra, Catwoman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Green Hornet, Roger Corman's Fantastic Four, Tim Story's 2 Fantastic Four films, Josh Trank's Fantastic Four, the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, Daredevil, Superman IV, Batman vs Superman, Ghost Rider 2, the Matt Salinger Captain America and somehow remained a superhero movie fan.

I know what crappy superhero films smell like. Suicide Squad didn't have to be one of them. Here's hoping James Gunn will do better.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Deadshot proves his name...

https://youtu.be/SF0w2B6DNUE
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

sgt.null wrote:Deadshot proves his name...

https://youtu.be/SF0w2B6DNUE
I don't remember that scene from the film. If it's a deleted scene they should have left it in the theatrical release.

And supernatural gods and goddesses don't care about being shot with guns. I didn't establish the stakes of the film the screen writer and director did.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

It's in the release. But there may be a Director's cut coming.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Flicks”