The Tor

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Tor

Post by Cord Hurn »

The Tor is a figure of conscience and morality in the Mordant's Need story. I've wanted to create a thread dedicated to him for quite some time. He's a sorrowful deflated figure the first time we meet him, and this initial picture gives us as readers no hint of the consequential figure he becomes as the MN story further unfolds.
In Chapter 11 of [i]The Mirror Of Her Dreams[/i] was wrote:The rider were on the road outside the castle. They had almost reached the gate, despite their mourning pace. She saw now that the men were all in black. The breath of the horses steamed silver in the iron cold, but their trappings were black. Black draped the litter that four of the mounts supported from their saddles. The man who led the group hid his face under a black hood, and a black cloak was wrapped around him.

This figure was so fat that Terisa wondered how his horse could bear his weight.

He led his riders toward Castellan Lebbick, then halted within the precise formation of the honor guard. Their horses seemed to sag under the burdens they carried.

"Greetings, my lord Tor," the Castellan said gruffly. His shoulders were braced as if they had the weight of the whole winter on them. The purple band across his forehead emphasized the anger of his eyebrows. "You are welcome in Orison. No matter what reason has brought you here at such a time, you are welcome."

Slowly, the Tor raised his black-gloved hands and lifted his hood, revealing thin white hair that straggled from his pale scalp; features the shape and color of cold potatoes, bleak eyes. His fat cheeks were hurt with cold.

In a husky voice, he rasped, "I will see the King."

The sharpness of the air made everything distinct. Terisa saw the shadow of a wince pass across Lebbick's hard face. "My lord Tor," he replied, "King Joyse has been informed of your coming. At present, he is busy with other matters." He couldn't keep his disdain for those "other matters" out of his tone. The King was probably playing hop-board. "I'm sure he'll grant you an audience shortly."

The clouds sealing the sky were the color of tombstones. Cold seemed to close around the courtyard. The guards were silent. The champing of the horses and the squelching sound of his boots in the mud could be heard clearly as he moved like an old man among his people toward the litter.

From the litter, he lifted in his arms the black-draped shape of a man or woman who must have been taller than he was. He didn't look strong enough to bear so much weight; nevertheless he cradled the body against his belly, carrying it forward until he stood directly in front of Castellan Lebbick.

In the same dried-out hollow voice, he said, "This is my first son. I will see the King."

Now the Castellan's stress was unmistakable. "Your son, my lord Tor? That's a terrible loss." Terisa remembered that Lebbick was acquainted with loss. "All Mordant will sorrow with you. How did he die?"

For a moment, a flicker of passion lit the Tor's speech. "His face was torn away by a wolf such as Mordant and Cadwal and Alend together have never known. Do you care to see the wound?" He extended the shrouded body toward Lebbick.

But almost at once his energy faded. Dully, implacably, he repeated, "I will see the King."
Lebbick tells the Tor he must wait, and Geraden steps forth and sets aside Lebbick's denigration of him, to offer the the King's audience for the Tor "in the name of the Domne". Geraden's desire to step forward and brave the Castellan's angry disdain seems comprehensible considering how pitiable the Tor is in this scene. It's just too bad that Geraden's courage and empathy turn out to increase the Tor's pain.
"King Joyse and Adept Havelock were playing hop-board. You [Terisa] probably guessed that. What else," he [Geraden] asked acidly, "would make him too busy to see the man who got him started on the road to becoming King of Mordant? But he didn't seem to resent the interruption. When I barged in, he left his game to welcome us. And he smiled the way he does--the way that makes you want to lie down in front of him so he can walk on you.

"Then he saw what the Tor was carrying. I told him who it was. And for a few moments there I thought I had finally done the right thing. For once in my life, I had finally done the right thing.

"He seemed to remember his strength and call it back from somewhere. Suddenly, he was taller, bigger, and his eyes flashed. "How was this done?" he demanded. The Tor couldn't speak, so I said, 'Imagery. Some kind of strange wolf.' Gambling that I knew what I was doing, I said, 'Look at his face.'

"King Joyse lifted the cloth." Geraden shuddered. "It was terrible. But it would have been worse if the body hadn't been frozen for ten days while the Tor was on the road.

"When King Joyse saw it, he seemed to stand up inside himself. He took the body out of the Tor's arms. He raised his head as if he was going to howl. There was so much outrage and hurt in him that it practically shouted from his face. I thought that finally--finally--he was going to get angry enough to do something.

"I was wrong."

Geraden made no effort to muffle his pain. "Adept Havelock chose that moment to say, 'Joyse, it's your move.' As if he didn't know anyone else was in the room.

"And King Joyse just collapsed.

"His face crumpled, and he started crying--softly, almost not making a sound. 'Oh, my old friend,' he said. 'Forgive me. Forgive me.' Then he fell to his knees--he couldn't hold up the weight any longer." Geraden was weeping himself, with his elbows hugged to his ribs and his hands across his chest. "As carefully as he could, he rested the Tor's son on the floor. For a while, he bowed over the body. Then he got his feet under him again"--Geraden had to grip his determination on both fists in order to say the words--"and went back to his game."

For a while, Geraden stood still, fighting to regain control of his emotions while Terisa ached for him and the Tor and King Joyse and said nothing.

"After that," Geraden resumed with a shuddering sigh, "he didn't respond to anything. He didn't give any orders for the funeral. He didn't answer any questions. Maybe he forgot we were there. Eventually, he moved one of his pieces. As far as I could see, it improved Havelock's position.

"All this time, the Tor hadn't said a word. He looked too stunned, too hurt, to say anything. I thought he was going to fall on his face. But now he pulled himself together a bit. 'My son is dead,' he said as if maybe King Joyse had failed to notice that detail. 'Is this the best you can do?'

"The King still didn't respond. Adept Havelock said, 'Close the door on your way out.'"

Geraden shrugged. "Then Castellan Lebbick made us leave. Two of his men had to move the Tor by main force. But I was actually grateful. He did us a favor by getting us out of there."
At this point in the story, the only hints we have of the Tor's hidden reserves of strength is in how he can hold his son high and close to him, and in how he can pull himself together despite his stunned grief to demand action from his King.

This first time I encountered him, in this scene, the Tor seemed to me to be only a symbol of the victimization of Mordant by Imagery from an unknown source. I had no idea in my first MN read of how important the Tor would be in standing up for justice and for the defense of the kingdom.

Perhaps these things about the Tor becoming a pleasant surprise for me as I continued to read along made me love his character all the more.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

The Tor is one of my favorite characters.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The Tor

Post by samrw3 »

Cord Hurn wrote: It's just too bad that Geraden's courage and empathy turn out to increase the Tor's pain.
Ahhh true for a time... But in the long run the Tor needed to interact with the king to fuel his desire to take some actions for Mordant. If he had been turned aside or not granted access to the king it possibly could have just left him bitter and left on his way.

No seeeing the King in person denying him is what he needed to fuel him to take action.

One of my favorite parts of this scene is Adept Havelock stating "your move" at a critical juncture where the King could have lost his way on what he considered his master plan of seeming to look weak and undecided,

It is brilliant piece of subtext that SRD inserts here to keep us aware that there is a giant hopboard of pieces moving and another clue we receive that the King and Adept seem to have some awareness of what they are doing.

In some ways I think these two books benefit from what I will kill the Sixth Sense movie approach. Reading it again shortly after reading it for the first time. You read it with eyes open on all the moves or lack of moves and realize al the hidden clues, subtexts and rationales. Just like re-watching Sixth Sense right after seeing it you see all the clues that were hitting you right along.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

samrw3 wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote: It's just too bad that Geraden's courage and empathy turn out to increase the Tor's pain.
Ahhh true for a time... But in the long run the Tor needed to interact with the king to fuel his desire to take some actions for Mordant. If he had been turned aside or not granted access to the king it possibly could have just left him bitter and left on his way.

No seeeing the King in person denying him is what he needed to fuel him to take action.

One of my favorite parts of this scene is Adept Havelock stating "your move" at a critical juncture where the King could have lost his way on what he considered his master plan of seeming to look weak and undecided,

It is brilliant piece of subtext that SRD inserts here to keep us aware that there is a giant hopboard of pieces moving and another clue we receive that the King and Adept seem to have some awareness of what they are doing.

In some ways I think these two books benefit from what I will kill the Sixth Sense movie approach. Reading it again shortly after reading it for the first time. You read it with eyes open on all the moves or lack of moves and realize al the hidden clues, subtexts and rationales. Just like re-watching Sixth Sense right after seeing it you see all the clues that were hitting you right along.
I agree, that episode is one of the best hint-drops in the early chapters. It covers not only that the King's weakness is feigned, but that Havelock is the architect/overseer of the plan, and also that Gereden has within him the capacity for leadership and action.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Another character made tragic by Joyse's plan, although at least (IIRC) he discovers it was a plan? (Unlike poor Lebbick.)

But yes, a great character.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

IrrationalSanity wrote:
samrw3 wrote:

I agree, that episode is one of the best hint-drops in the early chapters. It covers not only that the King's weakness is feigned, but that Havelock is the architect/overseer of the plan, and also that Gereden has within him the capacity for leadership and action.
Great observations! Yes, Donaldson gives hints about what Joyse and Havelock are up to in that scene. Things like that make MN rereads a joy for me! :read: :mrgreen:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Another character made tragic by Joyse's plan, although at least (IIRC) he discovers it was a plan? (Unlike poor Lebbick.)

But yes, a great character.

--A
Agreed, the Tor is heart and soul one of the most empathetic characters in Mordant's Need. I hope to add more quotes about him in this thread in the coming weeks/months/years.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Tor

Post by Cord Hurn »

We don't see the Tor again until Terisa attends the meeting of the Lords and Prince Kragen that has been arranged by Masters Eremis and Gilbur.
In Chapter 12 of [i]The Mirror Of Her Dreams[/i] was wrote:The Perdon was still on his feet, but the other lords were seated. She recognized the Tor, of course. He sat near Master Gilbur. Out of direct contact with the winter, his skin had a less abused color; but his face still looked like a handful of mealy potatoes, and his eyes were glazed. There was an enormous flagon on the table in front of him.

With the exception of the Tor--whose attention was fixed on his flagon--everyone was looking at her.

Unexpectedly, the Tor banged his flagon to the table. "Oh, sit down, my lord Termigan. So much upright anger makes me tired. Let us learn what more surprises are in store for us."

The Tor peered past the Fayle at her through a blur of wine. "You were with that boy of the Domne's," he said thickly. "Geraden. When I arrived." Without warning, his eyes filled with tears. Blinking furiously, he leaned back in his chair, then slapped his hand down on the table. "Take my gratitude as well. Prince Kragen and I will see that you are treated with respect."

Gulping from his flagon, he slumped to the side as if he had lost consciousness.

"Very touching," the Armigite murmured without quite looking at Terisa. "What will we have next? Offer of marriage?"

The other lords, however, seemed to think better of the Tor than of the Armigite: they didn't acknowledge his sarcasm.
So, this is where we first become aware of the Tor's binge drinking to deal with the loss of his eldest son, and where his basic kindness and compassion is seen. And I think this passage also tells us that the Tor has a long history of fighting courage and governing wisdom attached to him, for his fellow lords besides the Armigite show quiet respect for him even when he's in this embarrassing physical state.
The Tor twitched in his seat. "I know that Geraden," he rumbled. "He is a good boy. A true son of his father." Absentmindedly, he yawned and took another pull from his flagon.

The Tor made a soft snoring noise. The other men were more attentive, however.
Unfortunately, his current state renders him incapable of paying attention or taking anything seriously beyond his grief.
The Tor made a snorting noise. He raised his head, glanced around blearily for a moment, the heaved himself to this feet. "My lords, I must go to my bed. I have become too old for so much carousal."

"Do not go, my old friend," the Fayle remonstrated gently. "You must help us to a decision"

The Tor blinked hard. "What decision? I have none to make. I will not return to Marshalt. I am old, I say. These questions are too much for me. If King Joyse means to destroy Mordant, I will be here to assist him. I will stand at his side to the end." He made a small chuckling noise. "He deserves me." Then he began to shuffle his bulk toward the door. "My son always said I was a fool and a coward for not giving him more than two hundred men when he first set himself to become King. Now my son is dead. I should have not been so cautious."

Slowly, he lumbered out of the room.
Here I think is the first time in the story that the Tor states he will stay by his King for the sake of his son's beliefs.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Cord Hurn wrote:We don't see the Tor again until Terisa attends the meeting of the Lords and Prince Kragen that has been arranged by Masters Eremis and Gilbur.
In Chapter 12 of [i]The Mirror Of Her Dreams[/i] was wrote:The Perdon was still on his feet, but the other lords were seated. She recognized the Tor, of course. He sat near Master Gilbur. Out of direct contact with the winter, his skin had a less abused color; but his face still looked like a handful of mealy potatoes, and his eyes were glazed. There was an enormous flagon on the table in front of him.

With the exception of the Tor--whose attention was fixed on his flagon--everyone was looking at her.

Unexpectedly, the Tor banged his flagon to the table. "Oh, sit down, my lord Termigan. So much upright anger makes me tired. Let us learn what more surprises are in store for us."

The Tor peered past the Fayle at her through a blur of wine. "You were with that boy of the Domne's," he said thickly. "Geraden. When I arrived." Without warning, his eyes filled with tears. Blinking furiously, he leaned back in his chair, then slapped his hand down on the table. "Take my gratitude as well. Prince Kragen and I will see that you are treated with respect."

Gulping from his flagon, he slumped to the side as if he had lost consciousness.

"Very touching," the Armigite murmured without quite looking at Terisa. "What will we have next? Offer of marriage?"

The other lords, however, seemed to think better of the Tor than of the Armigite: they didn't acknowledge his sarcasm.
So, this is where we first become aware of the Tor's binge drinking to deal with the loss of his eldest son, and where his basic kindness and compassion is seen. And I think this passage also tells us that the Tor has a long history of fighting courage and governing wisdom attached to him, for his fellow lords besides the Armigite show quiet respect for him even when he's in this embarrassing physical state.
The Tor twitched in his seat. "I know that Geraden," he rumbled. "He is a good boy. A true son of his father." Absentmindedly, he yawned and took another pull from his flagon.

The Tor made a soft snoring noise. The other men were more attentive, however.
Unfortunately, his current state renders him incapable of paying attention or taking anything seriously beyond his grief.
The Tor made a snorting noise. He raised his head, glanced around blearily for a moment, the heaved himself to this feet. "My lords, I must go to my bed. I have become too old for so much carousal."

"Do not go, my old friend," the Fayle remonstrated gently. "You must help us to a decision"

The Tor blinked hard. "What decision? I have none to make. I will not return to Marshalt. I am old, I say. These questions are too much for me. If King Joyse means to destroy Mordant, I will be here to assist him. I will stand at his side to the end." He made a small chuckling noise. "He deserves me." Then he began to shuffle his bulk toward the door. "My son always said I was a fool and a coward for not giving him more than two hundred men when he first set himself to become King. Now my son is dead. I should have not been so cautious."

Slowly, he lumbered out of the room.
Here I think is the first time in the story that the Tor states he will stay by his King for the sake of his son's beliefs.
This scene shows us that the Tor virtually embodies loyalty, not just to the King, but to Gereden, Terisa, and his son. He is saddened that his son considered him a coward, but when we (later) learn the real reason for his limited support, it doesn't come as a shock because of what we have learned here.

It also shows just how astute and perceptive he is. Yes, he is drunk, and can barely keep conscious, but the Tor knows full well what is at stake, and what is being discussed. He is at least as skilled at statecraft and leadership as anyone in the room, and he alone at this point recognizes something that nobody else (outside of the King's circle) understands.

"If King Joyse means to destroy Mordant, I will be here to assist him."

The Tor may not know why the King is doing it, but he understands the king is acting with purpose.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The Tor's loyalty is certainly one of his most endearing qualities.

Your observation that the Tor knows the King is acting with purpose is spot-on, IrrationalSanity. It's also true, as you say, that no one else at that meeting has caught on to that.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Tor

Post by Cord Hurn »

We see the Tor again when Terisa is summoned to the King's apartment, just after Lebbick struck her and tried to arrest her.
In Chapter 16 of [i]The Mirror Of Her Dreams[/i] was wrote:The King's Dastard wasn't present. Instead, King Joyse was being kept company by Geraden and the Tor.

Involuntarily, she gaped at them.

"My lady," rumbled the Tor. "It is a great pleasure to renew your acquaintance." His fat overflowed his chair, and his plump hands gripped a flagon of wine as if he couldn't function without it. His thin white hair straggled disconsolately from his pale scalp. But his voluminous black robe was clean; his jowls were decently shaved. Although his small eyes were bleary, they seemed marginally less blurred than she remembered them.

Geraden met her surprise with a grin. Almost at once, however, his expression changed to distress. He jumped out of his chair and approached her. Lightly, he stroked the hot skin of her cheek. "That unscrupulous bastard." he whispered. "He hit you." Then chagrin overcame him. "I'm so sorry. It's my fault . I didn't think he would go that far. I thought I would be fast enough. I ran all the way--all the way--"

"Enough, young Geraden," the Tor interposed, peering morosely into his flagon. "You are a son of the Domne. Have more dignity."

"I don't understand." Terisa felt that she had abruptly become stupid. "What are you doing here?"

"As little as I can," the Tor replied as though she had spoken to him. "King Joyse keeps good wine and an excellent fire. I have no other needs

"It was awkward, I admit," he mused, frowning to himself. "He refused to see me. After that cell, I felt as cold as my son. I wanted to be warm again. And I thought I would share a flagon with my old friend the King of Mordant. Did I say that I would not leave him? I meant to say so. But he refused to see me. Very awkward."
(I find the reference to a "cell" to be puzzling; is the Tor referring to the room he was originally assigned when he came to Orison? Certainly he was not placed under arrest, so maybe this was an editing mistake. Oh, well, moving on...)
Unexpectedly, he [the Tor] smiled. Under other circumstances, it would have been a happy smile but it didn't touch the sadness in his eyes. "He underestimated me. I sat down outside his door and commenced howling. Not polite, deferential howling, I assure you, but howling to alarm the dead."

"You did that?" Geraden grinned in spite of himself, surprised out of his contrition.

The Tor nodded. "It is well that my family did not see me. They would have not thought better of me for it. But I succeeded." He glanced toward King Joyse and commented, "Since admitting me, he has found it impossible to make me depart."

This didn't make much sense to Terisa. She shook her head to clear it, but the movement had the opposite effect. She needed to sit down. Or lie down.

"But why?" She couldn't forget how the Tor had looked standing in the mud of the courtyard with his dead son in his arms, or what Geraden had told her about King Joyse's react to the Tor's son's death. "All the other lords left. Why do you want to stay?"

The Tor grimaced.

"Revenge."

"For most of my life," explained the lord in a husky voice, "I have been haunted by the knowledge that I did not give King Joyse my full support when he needed it. This would have been wise policy--if he had failed. But he succeeded, thereby making me a conniving ingrate in the eyes of all Mordant. I mean to be revenged for that."

"I don't understand," Terisa repeated weakly. Maybe the Tor wasn't joking. But what kind of joke was it?

"The King needs a chancellor." The old lord didn't raise his head. "Someone who can put two coherent commands together better than that mad Imager. As long as I sit here"--he flopped one hand on the arm of his chair--"and speak as though I have authority, I will be obeyed. Whether he wishes it or not, Joyse will no longer be a passive ruler. Either I will take action in his name, or he must take action to stop me."
Gutsy of the Tor. He knows, as IrrationalSanity pointed out in an above thread, that the King is acting on purpose. This is a way to discover what that purpose actually is.
Geraden's eyes gleamed appreciatively; but Terisa said "Wait a minute." She was too slow: she had to catch up. She had believed that the Apt was abandoning her when he left her to Lebbick. "You're giving orders in the King's name." She turned to Geraden. "You came here--you ran here--to get King Joyse to stop Castellan Lebbick." Geraden nodded. She glanced over at the King. "Does he really want to see me?"

With the exaggerated care of too much wine, the Tor scanned the room as if searching for eavesdroppers. Then he said, "No." At once, one plump finger jumped to his lips to hush himself. In a thick, whisper, he added, "But he would if he had any sense. He was asleep, so I took the liberty of speaking for him.

"Young Geraden is right," he continued sententiously. "The good Castellan should not be allowed to make decisions where women are concerned."

She felt that she hadn't stopped gaping at him. She wanted to say several things at once. What do you hope to accomplish? Oh, Geraden, I'm sorry! Do you really think he'll let you get away with this? But that wasn't the point, of course. The point was to make King Joyse declare himself--to make Mordant's sovereign take a stand that would reveal his true intentions. So she didn't ask any of her questions. Instead, she said sincerely, "I'm glad you did it. I needed rescuing."

The Tor gave her a lugubrious wink. To Geraden, he commented, "You see? Already my revenge begins to bear fruit."

"My father tells a lot of stories about you, my lord." said Geraden. "I don't think they do you justice."
The Tor's deep sorrow over losing his eldest son increases rather than diminishes his empathy. He has concerns for Geraden's dignity, Terisa's safety, and Mordant's fate. For the sake of the latter, he has worked on the difficult task of pulling himself together (as evidenced by his cleaned and orderly appearance to make a convincing chancellor).
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

I would say the term "cell" here is not meant to be derogatory, or imply imprisonment, but merely a colloquial way to refer to a room made of immobile stone walls meant as an accommodation. Now, it may have been (and almost certainly was) less sumptuous than the King's own quarters - especially the formal spaces. Probably also far inferior to the Tor's own normal habitat (I see him as a creature of comfort). But given who the Tor is, he certainly wouldn't use the term in any way that was meant as an affront.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

That explanation works for me, Sanity, and now I feel better about that passage! Thank you! :mrgreen:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah, like a monk's cell or whatever. :D

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Avatar wrote:Ah, like a monk's cell or whatever. :D

--A
Exactly!
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Tor

Post by Cord Hurn »

The next extended scene with the Tor is after the outside crafts fair incident, when Terisa sees Nyle leaving a tent with a disguised Prince Kragen, and Gart severely wounds Artagel during a second sword confrontation. Terisa has already had reason to be suspicious of Elega after Elega asked her what Orison's greatest weakness would be, and so that is also something she and Geraden want the Tor to know about (seeing as the King is apparently unreachable).
They were admitted to the suite readily because King Joyse wasn't there. "Off somewhere with his Imager, I suppose," the Tor muttered in explanation. "His courtesy never fails, but he tells me as little as he can to keep me from howling."

His voice was a subterranean gurgle, as though it emerged from somewhere deep in his great fat, and the passages that let it out were filling up with wine. Days of use were marked on his green robe by wine and food stains. His unshaven jowls and oily hair showed that he had been neglecting his toilet.

"I am a patient man, young Geraden," he confided past his flagon. "I have spent no small number of years in the world, and I have learned that fat is more enduring than stone. But the truth is that my presence here has not accomplished quite what I intended." He flapped one hand in a gesture that made Terisa notice the absence of the King's hop-board table. "He has simply moved his games elsewhere."

He sighed lugubriously, and his eyes misted. "It is a sad thing to be neglected at my age."

Listening to the Tor, Terisa began to lose confidence. Nevertheless Geraden was wound too tightly to be deflected.

"You appointed yourself chancellor, my lord," he reminded the Tor. "You said you would take action in the King's name. That ought to be easy, if he isn't here to contradict you."

The Tor gave Geraden a sour look. "You are too young to understand. If I wish mutton rather than duckling for my next meal, I have only to speak. If I decide to appoint a holiday and make every lady in Orison do without her maid, I can do so without raising my voice. Who here has any desire to oppose the will of the King's old friend?" One fist beat out the words as his anger rose. "If I take it upon myself to declare war tomorrow, I have no doubt that I will be obeyed.

"But the King, young Geraden!" He raised his bulk to emphasize his point. "Where is the King? Where is the man who ought to be shamed by every command I issue in his name? Off playing hop-board with Adept Havelock while his realm crumbles."

Slowly, the Tor subsided. "As for Castellan Lebbick," he sighed, "he now holds what little effective power is left in Orison. But even he finds it difficult to ignore me. And he does not want to submit his decisions for me opinion, so he avoids me. I suspect he secretly passes judgement on all my orders before they are carried out.

"It appears I have chosen a foolish way to grieve for my son."

Terisa tried to catch Geraden's eye; she wanted to send him a mental message, urging him to not tell the Tor about Nyle and Elega. The old lord was starting to remind her of Reverend Thatcher.

Geraden refused to receive her signal, however. He was fixed on the Tor, and his expression remained grim. "I'm sorry, my lord," he said roughly. "I don't have time for your grief."

Under his fat, the muscles of the Tor's face tightened dangerously, but Geraden went ahead without pausing. "I need to talk to King Joyse. Since he isn't here, I'll have to talk to you. I can't take this to the Castellan. I'm not going to tell it to anybody who isn't a friend of my father's."

He had caught the Tor's attention. "I consider the Domne a friend," the old lord rumbled slowly. "And your past courtesy outweighs your present rudeness." He had blinked the blur of wine from his eyes: his gaze was hard. "I am interested in what you need to tell the King."

Terisa was suddenly ashamed of herself. Rather than distrusting the Tor's despondency, Geraden was trying to help.

The perception made her squirm. She had never done anything to help Reverend Thatcher. She had listened to him for hours, but she had never tried to help.
Geraden's response to the Tor talking about grieving seems harsh, but it certainly gets the Tor's attention, and shows the Tor his position as chancellor can have constructive purpose. I admire the Tor for listening further to Geraden instead of just angrily ordering him to leave.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"You've probably heard the rumor that King Joyse thinks the lady Elega has turned against him." Geraden didn't need to feign harshness; the bleak strength that had brought him here rasped in his voice. "Well, he's right."

As gently as the bite of a crosscut saw, Geraden told the Tor what he knew about Elega and Prince Kragen and Nyle. When he had recited the basic facts, he added, "Two of my friends--two guards--are following her around. But she knows we're suspicious of her now. She'll be more careful. I'm going to tell my friends to forget her and concentrate on Nyle." He said his brother's name in a tone of forced impersonality. "Maybe he'll lead us to the answers."

The Tor's gaze held: his eyes looked like bits of glass embedded in pastry dough. "I hear quite a number of rumors," he commented when Geraden was done. "Duty outside this door is dull, and many of the guards liven it with conversation. I have heard a rumor that your brother Artagel, who is reputed to be the best swordsman in Mordant, faced the High King's Monomach and fell." His tone didn't become clear until he asked, "Is he seriously injured?"

Geraden swallowed convulsively. "Yes."

Unblinking, the Tor studied Geraden for a moment. Then he said, "I have lost a son. I will not have it said to the Domne that I sat drunk on my hams while one of his sons was killed by the High King's Monomach and another sold himself to the Alend Monarch. What do you wish me to do?"

At once, Geraden replied, "Don't let Castellan Lebbick interfere. Make him leave Nyle alone." He was plainly relieved to get away from the subject of Artagel. "And tell him to assign Argus and Ribuld to me. Tell him I'm doing you some kind of favor and I need their help." He sounded clear, almost authoritative, as if he had been involved in situations like this all his life. "The last time they tried to help me, he roasted them for it. They'll do a better job if they don't have to dodge him the whole time."

He sounded so sure of what he was doing that Terisa wanted to give him a round of applause.

Nevertheless he was sweating by the time he was done.

The Tor regarded him gravely for a little while longer. Then he turned his head and let out a cheerful yell that made Terisa jump and brought the guards promptly into the room.

"Yes, my lord Tor?" one of them inquired. He was on good terms with the self-appointed chancellor. "You bellowed?"

"Mongrel!" snorted the Tor. "That was not a bellow. That was a polite request for attention." His chuckle sounded like belching. "If you ever have the misfortune to hear me bellow, you will not speak of it so calmly.

"But now that you are here--" He rolled his eyes at the ceiling as though he were contemplating an entire litany of desires. "I want cranberry sauce with that duckling which the cook is already so late in providing. I want more wine. I want peace or war with our enemies, whichever will cause them the most consternation." He rubbed a fat hand over his jowls. "I believe I want a barber. But most of all"--suddenly, his voice seemed to have a knife hidden in it somewhere--"I want the Castellan."

Briskly now, he said, "Be so kind as to inform him that I require a few moments of his time--almost immediately."

"As you wish, my lord Tor." Grinning, the guards withdrew.
The jesting between the Tor and one of the guards make the scene feel more "real" to me, made the characters seem more real for me.
The Tor looked at Geraden and shrugged. "He [Castellan Lebbick] may not come at once, but I will nag until he does."

"Thank you, my lord Tor," the Apt breathed sincerely. "That should make things easier."

With a flutter of his free hand, the Tor waved gratitude aside. After a moment's consideration, he said, severely, "Young Geraden, your reputation for mishap is entirely misleading. You have shown me that my King has a need for his chancellor which I did not suspect. I believe I will begin to assert myself."

Pointing a pudgy finger at the Apt, he added in an ominous rumble, "In the meantime, I advise you to stop Nyle before he goes too far. The union of the Cares already grows fragile. An open rupture now between King Joyse and the Care of Domne may bring us all to grief."

Quickly, he emptied his flagon. The he drawled happily, "While you are otherwise occupied, I will take it upon myself to teach my lady Elega the fear of discovery."

For an odd moment, Terisa felt like laughing. The idea of a confrontation between the huge old lord and the regal princess tweaked her fancy. But her amusement was primarily a reaction to strain: as soon as she glanced at Geraden, it evaporated. His grin was a rather feverish imitation of the smile Artagel wore into combat.

Fortunately, the Tor also noticed his expression. "You may go now, young Geraden," he said firmly, "unless you have more treachery to reveal? I do not mean to share my duckling with anyone. Send me word as soon as you have news of Artagel."

"Thank you, my lord." At once, Geraden headed for the door.

Terisa wanted to thank the Tor more thoroughly, let him know how much he did for Geraden. But she couldn't do that and still follow the Apt.

The old lord seemed to understand, however. "Take care of him, my lady," he muttered, dismissing her. "He has need of you."

Flashing him her best smile, she left the apartment and pursued Geraden down the stairs.
I think this passage represents the first time I was able to see the Tor as a potentially effective ally in the saving of Mordant, and as someone who cares about more than just his grief.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I agree this was the first time that we see the Tor as being important person to try starting making changes/decisions. I will have a very minor difference. In this passage it seems that the Tor is still fueled by his grief - but in this instance he uses that grief for more positive outcomes and not just sitting around feeling sorry for himself.

"I have lost a son. I will not have it said to the Domne that I sat drunk on my hams while one of his sons was killed by the High King's Monomach and another sold himself to the Alend Monarch."
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I can buy that he is using his grief to affect more positive outcomes in the kingdom, for sure.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Here again, we see that the Tor is as adept at statecraft as anyone in Mordant. In this scene, he is still grieving and drunk, and has lost much of his sense of initiative. Yet when presented with a challenge, he rises to it. We also get another glimpse of the potential within Gereden, not his Imagery, but of his own inner strength and drive.

But our heroes here, while clued into the fact that there is game afoot, they don't know what they don't know, and their opponents have resources they don't yet suspect. This will come back to bite them. Hard.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Return to “Mordant's Need”