Linden Avery is fine you monsters

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Linden Avery is fine you monsters

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Hey can someone point me to the threads where I can read all the slander and lies thrown about to attack my main chicken Linden? I want to make sure I'm only rehashing played out arguments but can't find them hehehe
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Hile Troy is the most abused character in all the Land. Hile Troy was right. His say would have worked if not for the need to make Covenant the protagonist of his own books.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I've always liked Linden. She's basically the main character from The Wounded Land on.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

If Covenant and Linden weren't damaged and deeply flawed people the meaning, beauty and truth of the Chronicles would be incondignly diminished.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Absolutely
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Horrim Carabal wrote:I've always liked Linden. She's basically the main character from The Wounded Land on.
And I would have been fine with that had the second and last series been named "The Chronicles of Linden Avery"
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

aTOMiC wrote:And I would have been fine with that had the second and last series been named "The Chronicles of Linden Avery"
That would have been a good idea, imo. She is clearly more important to SRD than Covenant is. Which is fine. He can create any story he wants.

What she did at the end of WGW
[spoiler]throwing off a Raver's possession, then healing Pitchwife and the Land[/spoiler]is as powerful, moving, and well-written as anything I've ever read. All we read of her before that, annoying as it may be at the time, was what made her capable of all that. It's indispensable.

I'm not as happy with her in the first two books of the Last, for reasons that, obviously, can't be discussed in this forum. And they aren't important anyway. She also did amazing things in those two books. She's not the reason I just can't bring myself to finish the series. But I did love some aspects of what I read, and have heard of how some of that continues, as well as other things, that I would like to know about. So I'll probably finish it some day, even though I'll have to pretend some things don't happen in order to get through it.

Oh! Almost forgot!

LONG LIVE THOOLAH!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Fist and Faith wrote:[…]

… I just can't bring myself to finish the series … [though] I'll probably finish it some day …

[…]
Srsly???

The Last Chrons are the Best Chrons, IMNSHO.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

A couple things ruin it for me. And I've heard about other things I'm not going to happy with. But I've heard of things about some of the characters that I will enjoy.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Fist and Faith wrote:A couple things ruin it for me. And I've heard about other things I'm not going to happy with. But I've heard of things about some of the characters that I will enjoy.
I'm in the same boat. I managed to get through 3/4 of the last book and ran out of interest. The only way I think I can finish the series is start again from the beginning and power through.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Horrim Carabal wrote:She's basically the main character from The Wounded Land on.
As I see it, Linden wouldn't have done much without the example and the guidance and the love of Thomas Covenant. He is present in everything she became; she's his greatest achievement. And so have no objections to the title.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:
Horrim Carabal wrote:She's basically the main character from The Wounded Land on.
As I see it, Linden wouldn't have done much without the example and the guidance and the love of Thomas Covenant. He is present in everything she became; she's his greatest achievement. And so have no objections to the title.
Would it have been so terrible to have been honest with the title?

I still would have purchased the books. In fact I would have been fine with leaving Covenant behind in the real world altogether and let Linden discover the Land on her own. Through her eyes we would have become reacquainted with the world established in the first trilogy without the distraction of having our original hero made irrelevant in his own story. There was no need to crush Covenant to make Linden more important. She would have made her way through the story on her own terms and would have become just as legendary. IMHO Admittedly the overall story would have been quite different but probably more enjoyable for many of us.

But it is what it is. ,😎�

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yeah.

Sadly (I guess) Donaldson doesn't tell the same story again.
Stephen R Donaldson wrote:The two stories together are a kind of moral hierarchy: the first one is relatively simple concerned with muscle; the second is a test of sacrifice in relationships - Covenant can't save The Land alone in The Second Chronicles, and neither can Linden Avery. It takes what they can both give, and what they can both give up, to save The Land.
-- INTERVIEW: October 1991
The second Cs are about two people saving the land together because alone they cannot save it. All the dynamics that go with such interdependency makes it a completely different story.

Covenant finds a woman who he can love. But first he has to save her from her demons. At the same time that he needs her to keep him alive. Then he realizes that he needs to die. Can she be healed in time to save the Land after he is gone? Can he give up his love on a long-shot chance?

Point is: there's plenty of Covenant. The most heart-wrenching parts, they are about Covenant. Linden is who she is because it completes Covenant. Linden is who she is because it reveals Covenant.

Yes, there is a second protagonist, and a second POV, and if that doesn't appeal, who can say you're wrong?

But there is no doubt in my mind that it's about Covenant, cover to cover.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

WF, there's no arguing with the intent of the author.

I happen to view the story as a whole with 3 parts.

Part One

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Part Two

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery

Part 3

The Chronicles of Linden Avery and Thomas Covenant ( especially The Runes of the Earth for which Covenant is essentially absent from the book)

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Second Chronicles stands out for me BECAUSE of TC. Could the story have been completed without him? Sure, a pretty big re-write and we get there.

However the 2nd Chronicles isn't as poignant without TC and it hinges on, "How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? You give him back something broken." As I read it and saw TC react to the changes to the Land, I reacted with him. It started with TC being incredulous that Earth power was forgotten. That hurtloam was no longer known. Those and many more kept me enraptured in the story on an emotional level. I think we miss most of that with Linden without TC. But we also miss them falling in love and finding that they needed each other.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”