A New Tolkien Collection

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

peter
The Gap Into Spam

A New Tolkien Collection

Post by peter »

Called "The Natute of Middle Earth", a new collection of previously unpublished Tolkien essays is to be published in 2021.

Covering topics such as elvish immortality and the geography of Gondor, the new work will be published by Harper Collins in the middle of next year. I read The Silmarillion earlier this year and was mightily impressed. This book, containing musings by the author about his own work and the nature of the place he had invented promises to be a joy to anyone who has found pleasure, solace, escape, or any of the myriad other reasons people visit the vast sprawling world of Middle Earth.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Re: A New Tolkien Collection

Post by Zarathustra »

peter wrote:Called "The Natute of Middle Earth", a new collection of previously unpublished Tolkien essays is to be published in 2021.

Covering topics such as elvish immortality and the geography of Gondor, the new work will be published by Harper Collins in the middle of next year. I read The Silmarillion earlier this year and was mightily impressed. This book, containing musings by the author about his own work and the nature of the place he had invented promises to be a joy to anyone who has found pleasure, solace, escape, or any of the myriad other reasons people visit the vast sprawling world of Middle Earth.
Cool! Thanks!

I'd be curious to hear you elaborate on your thoughts on the Silmarillion.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hi Z! :D

I started reading the Silmarillion with a degree of trepidation, having been primed to expect that I'd find it hard going - a chore to read as it were; even the woman who had sold it to me had screwed her face up and said that it wasn't for her. But within a few pages I found that I slipped into the almost history book like telling of the story of Middle Earth without problem, and the archaic language Tolkien used seemed almost comforting and absolutely right for the tale.

I was of course always waiting for the bit that would concern the period covered by TLOTR, which was pretty much at the end of what turned out to be a much shorter read than I expected, and I was fascinated by the little section dealing with the origins of Mithrandir, or Gandalph as we better knew him. The section I'd been waiting for was short, but sweet indeed and in the interim period I found that there was much other material that I would have wished to see expanded into full blown novels in their own right (not that this was the intention of the author in his setting out of the material; I've heard he was in actuality setting out a mythology for the English that we didn't have (at least in terms of that comparable with the German Valkyrie and Nibelungen). The tales of great warriors and kings trapped in mountain fastnesses, of lovers shorn from each other and searching endlessly, of the original creator Gods who gave spawn to the being of whom Sauron was merely a catspaw - all wonderful stuff that held me and kept me coming back until with a degree of sadness, I turned the last page.

I guess the world will always fall into two groups - those who can handle the Silmarillion and those who can't. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I, against all of my expectations, found myself in the former!

:lol:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”