WandaVision

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

WandaVision

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Anyone else watching this? So far, it is pretty good and is an excellent nod to all the TV nostaligia from decades past. You can name the shows each episode is mirroring: I Love Lucy, Bewitched/The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Brady Bunch, Full House/Growing Pains, Friends, etc.

Some minor characters from previous movies are regulars: FBI Agent Jimmy Woo from Ant Man, Dr. Darcy Lewis from Thor, and a now-adult Monica Rambeau from Captain Marvel.

I had no idea that Wanda was that powerful, but perhaps there is something else going on, especially given the reveal from the latest epsidoe. Interestingly, reshaping reality on that scale has not drawn the attention of Dr. Strange or any other sorcerer; apparently it has not registered on the Avengers' radar, either, and they all know what she has been through. Still, they cannot afford to bring those characters in--I mean monetarily, not just plot-wise.

My Scarlet Witch lore is not very high, so I need to research her on the Marvel wiki. I think they actually did settle in Westview for a while, but like I said I have to look into it.

Speaking of cameos....Quicksilver...but not the one she was expecting. That one is already all over YouTube, so it isn't really a spoiler.

Oh...and we get an origin story in addition to character development for Wanda and Vision.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
starkllr
Ramen

Re: WandaVision

Post by starkllr »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Anyone else watching this? So far, it is pretty good and is an excellent nod to all the TV nostaligia from decades past. You can name the shows each episode is mirroring: I Love Lucy, Bewitched/The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Brady Bunch, Full House/Growing Pains, Friends, etc.

I'm really enjoying it!

I had no idea that Wanda was that powerful, but perhaps there is something else going on, especially given the reveal from the latest epsidoe. Interestingly, reshaping reality on that scale has not drawn the attention of Dr. Strange or any other sorcerer; apparently it has not registered on the Avengers' radar, either, and they all know what she has been through. Still, they cannot afford to bring those characters in--I mean monetarily, not just plot-wise.

There are rumors that we will be seeing a big name (possibly Dr. Strange) in the final two episodes. And it's been announced that Wanda will be appearing in "Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness".

Also, in-show, all this is happening only a couple of weeks after the end of "Avengers: Endgame" so it's reasonable to assume the Avengers and other powers are still dealing with everything that happened, coming to grips with being returned to life, or mourning their losses, etc.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I had not heard that Wanda would be in MoM but her powers definitely relate. Magic in the MCU is really just physics--taking energy from one place, changing its form, and using it here for different effects.

Am I the only who thinks that Wanda's power has the same color that the Aether (reality stone) did?

Wanda is definitely suffering some extreme grief.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Huge fan. I got Disney plus mainly to watch the show.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Watching the first couple of episodes was neat but slightly off putting without understanding the context. Now having watched all but the most current episode every strange thing makes sense and I'm really enjoying the series.

"She recast Pietro." Made me laugh out loud.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I'm hoping to see Simon Williams make a showing.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

sgt.null wrote:I'm hoping to see Simon Williams make a showing.
That's the rumor.
I hope so too.
I can't imagine how they're going to introduce/create him.
I really like that comic character.
There were some great stories they could tap involving Vision being jealous of him too.

This show has really been outstanding overall.
Every character is enjoyable.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

aTOMiC wrote:"She recast Pietro." Made me laugh out loud.
It also opens up a lot of questions, not the least of which is "is that really her brother?". Sure, she subsequently saw him as he really should be--bullet wounds in the chest--but the version of Quicksilver currently on the show is from an alternate reality and that character isn't dead.

We all know that eventually the X-universe will be folded into the MCU.

How, exactly, did the Mind Stone get recreated on Vision's forehead, thus allowing him to access some of its minor abilities? I know that the field is rewriting matter but that is some serious rewriting.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:"She recast Pietro." Made me laugh out loud.
It also opens up a lot of questions, not the least of which is "is that really her brother?". Sure, she subsequently saw him as he really should be--bullet wounds in the chest--but the version of Quicksilver currently on the show is from an alternate reality and that character isn't dead.

We all know that eventually the X-universe will be folded into the MCU.

How, exactly, did the Mind Stone get recreated on Vision's forehead, thus allowing him to access some of its minor abilities? I know that the field is rewriting matter but that is some serious rewriting.
"It's been Agatha all along" generates even more questions

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

aTOMiC wrote:"It's been Agatha all along" generates even more questions
The show purports that Agatha has some nefarious purpose going on here, but that is not how that character has interacted with Wanda over the years in the comics. She was Wanda's mentor and teacher; if this holds true then she is trying to help Wanda process her grief. I guess we'll just have to see, though.

What was Hayward's second source of vibranium that was blipping on the scanners?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Soooo...

Does this mean every superhuman character in the MCU going forward (Captain Marvel-Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel/Photon-Monica Rambeau and Wanda Maximoff for example so far) has powers generated by an infinity stone? That seems a little unimaginative to me, however it is an explanation that doesn't involve mutants, which made sense before Fox was acquired by Disney.

Maybe such a simple minded ex machina won't be used to explain any other MCU characters origins. That's as likely as Deadpool not meta-referencing Wolverine or Hugh Jackman in his movies :biggrin:

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

aTOMiC wrote:Does this mean every superhuman character in the MCU going forward (Captain Marvel-Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel/Photon-Monica Rambeau and Wanda Maximoff for example so far) has powers generated by an infinity stone? That seems a little unimaginative to me, however it is an explanation that doesn't involve mutants, which made sense before Fox was acquired by Disney.
They were supposedly destroyed, but The Ancient One told Hulk back in 2012 that without the stones the timeline is in danger of being fractured. I am not certain that the stones could be used to destroy themselves--they will likely simply reform at some point but maybe by then everyone will forget about them.

Besides, we still have the plot hole of the Tesseract. How could it exist and be destroyed in 2019 if Loki took off with it back in 2012? Marvel does not want you to think about that too much.

To answer the question, though...no, I do not think that will be the case--you can't have everyone be exposed to a stone. If Agents of Shield is canon then the water in the ocean has been spiked with terragen, so from time to time random humans will either die or gain abilities.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

aTOMiC wrote:Soooo...

Does this mean every superhuman character in the MCU going forward (Captain Marvel-Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel/Photon-Monica Rambeau and Wanda Maximoff for example so far) has powers generated by an infinity stone? That seems a little unimaginative to me, however it is an explanation that doesn't involve mutants, which made sense before Fox was acquired by Disney.
I remember being really disappointed that the Elders of the Universe, that we've seen so, far weren't wielding some form of inborn cosmic power (but not the "Power Cosmic" :D )
I think Marvel missed the boat with that being so caught up in the Stones.
Ego's power wasn't Stone based nor was Odin's so I don't think it would have been a big deal to anyone.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

After the 1st episode, I hated this show. I thought it was just silly, I didn't understand the "I Love Lucy" format.

In the second episode, I was about to stop watching, and then something happened that made me realize that something was going on. Third episode and I was hooked.

I've read several articles about the show that predict that there is someone controlling Wanda, perhaps expanding her power to make Westview possible. Now after last week's episode, it became clear that Wanda has been doing this on her own with chaos magic. I would still like to see if there is truly someone else, perhaps the post-Thanos villian, driving the events.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lots of people are guessing Mephisto...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:Lots of people are guessing Mephisto...
Didn't Master Pandemonium once graft Wanda's children onto his arms as a way to try and recover the pieces of his soul that Mephisto stole? That has nothing to do with this show's plot, of course, just an old interaction between the two characters.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

hrm....small continuity error: the copy of the Darkhold which shows up here is not the same as the Darkhold which was in Agents of Shield, the one which Coulson hid and never told anyone where or with whom he hid it. Normally, there is only one Darkhold but it is a book so I suppose there could be multiple copies. The AoS one is blank until you open it, then it translates itself into your native language so you can read it. One of the characters described it like this, "if the Internet is a garden hose, the Darkhold is Niagra Falls".

Anyway....the show wound up being character exposition and it sets her stage for her appearance in Mountains of Madness.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sgt.null wrote:Lots of people are guessing Mephisto...
Right, but at least for now that's not going to be revealed.

I'm pulling for Galactus as the next Big Bad.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Hashi - Master Pandemonium did graft the kids at one point. But the the twins showed up in Young Avengers. So I have no idea.

And I'm guessing there are multiple dimension copies of the Darkhold.

Dlb - Galactus would have to be in a team up movie. FF, Avengers, GotG, etc...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I have heard Kang will.be the next big bad

Return to “TV Shows”