Star Trek - Strange New Worlds

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Star Trek - Strange New Worlds

Post by SoulBiter »

A spinoff from Discovery will go back to episodic Trek and will be the adventures of Captain Pike and crew from the USS Enterprise.

https://www.themarysue.com/things-we-sa ... s-filming/
Strange New Worlds stars Anson Mount (Captain Christopher Pike), Ethan Peck (Spock), and Rebecca Romijn (Number One) as they pilot the U.S.S. Enterprise to explore the galaxy in the years before Captain James T. Kirk takes the helm.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I will try to watch. As.long as they don't take a huge crap on Star Trek canon the way Discovery does I might just like the show.
You know like it turns out Michael Burnam's mother was actually Khan Noonien Singh. James T. Kirk was a Romulan spy who ate Spock's oldest son. A time travelling race of intergalactic nitwits accidentally destroy the Earth, which is made of chocolate, and now all earthlings are homeless, chocolate stealing vagabonds.
Dumb crap like that.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

aTOMiC wrote:I will try to watch. As.long as they don't take a huge crap on Star Trek canon the way Discovery does I might just like the show.
You know like it turns out Michael Burnam's mother was actually Khan Noonien Singh. James T. Kirk was a Romulan spy who ate Spock's oldest son. A time travelling race of intergalactic nitwits accidentally destroy the Earth, which is made of chocolate, and now all earthlings are homeless, chocolate stealing vagabonds.
Dumb crap like that.
What you posted sounds a lot better than the last 20 years. :D
I don't know, someone must like all the crazy Trek shit they've been putting out.
It must be making money and making some people happy.
Makes no sense to me though.
The casting of the 2009 Star Trek movie was perfect, too bad the story was just stupid as fuck.
The stupid Trek hasn't stopped since.

The old TV shows and Trek movies weren't all perfect either but at least they are watchable.

I just reread this Trek novel: Dark Mirror

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Mirr ... rek_novel)

I think the story is great and would make a good movie.
There's an alien character in it called "Hwii" that is described like a dolphin and the author came up with a antigrav device that Hwii uses to move around the ship.
That's fun and creative and in no way deviates from any existing Next Generation sci-fi tech. It just adds on.
Which is all they ever had to do rather than rebooting over and over.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Strangely enough, seeing as how I have been watching Trek since the 60's, I have no issues with how they have redone Trek. Its all good TV if you take it for what it is. Discovery was excellent, Picard was excellent, and I have even higher hopes for Strange new Worlds because I prefer episodic TV rather than a single super long story arch. Its not STOS, STNG, Voyager, or Deep Space Nine. I left out Enterprise because even though I watched it all, I never liked it that much.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

There's nothing wrong with new Trek.

It's it's own thing.
It's dark.
It's gritty.
It's vulgar.
It's ugly.
It's unsophisticated.
It's pessimistic.
And like a rebellious teenager it doesn't believe it owes anything to what has gone before. At least when it comes to established canon. It's Trek for the modern audience.
For some viewers it is more entertaining, more exciting, more grounded in reality than classic Trek.
It's much more brutaly honest but far less hopefull about the future because the future is now. Star fleet is rotting from the inside just like contemporary government. Humans have lost whatever gains they have made towards intelligence, dignity and respect for one another just the way social media is today. It's not Roddenberry Trek. It's better. It's Trek the way Quentin Tarantino or HBO would envision it.
The future is a place that is populated with the worst aspects of our current ugly society only amplified by advanced technology.
New Trek's message is forget positive societal progress. That's boring as hell. Let's show what would happen if humans managed to make giant leaps in technological progress but still behave, speak and act like they do on your favorite youtube channel.
It's like playing the game What If? What if Seven of Nine became a murdering sociopath, forgetting all the positive lessons she learned aboard Voyager. Wouldn't that be f*cking cool?

Truth is I cope by thinking of new Trek as some alternative universe that distinctly separate from real Trek. Hopefully Paramount will begin to steer Trek back on course with Brave New Worlds.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

They have wrapped up filming season 1.
"Last ep of Season 1 starts shooting today," he (Anson Mount) tweeted. "Old school fans are going to VERY excited to see what we’re trying to pull off with this one. Getting to do many things I’ve never attempted as an actor. So much fun!"
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Notice how Kirk doesn't say "we ain't gonna choose to fuc*ing kill today"?

Star Trek hadn't yet lost it's dignity.

I hope SNW will find a way to recapture it. It would be nice if one day Star Trek was appropriate for children again. Thanks for introducing f*ck to Star Trek. I'm looking at you Discovery/Picard.

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

We will see. I suspect they are not going to make the series specifically to meet your specific criteria.

I am just hopeful for a good ST series that goes back to episodic TV, and doesn't totally throw "canon" out the window.

As far as the language goes, I cant see a future where all language has been sanitized and no vulgar language is ever used. STOS as with other shows of the time had to work around the censorship of the networks. Even some STOS and STNG episodes were not aired in certain countries or parts were left out, because of their own censorship.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The first episode wasn't bad. It's optimistic, fun, with a "modern" look and yet old style Trek design at the same time. I just thought the episode moved way too fast. The big moments didn't really have time to feel significant. The guy playing Spock is bland. Pike is good. No one else really stands out. I'm cautiously hopeful it will get better. STNG started out a little rough/cheesy, too.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

As a first episode I thought it was pretty good. They rushed the character introductions a but which I think took away from the big moment. Love the ship, the uniforms, the crew itself.

Atomic, I think you will find this more to your liking. Very optimistic and back to original Trek.

My only critique was how they handled T'Pring. One she should not have been in the show the way she was (even as a cameo) but I always thought that Spock had not seen her since they were children. They link minds to set the choosing date, which also sets up the "Pon Far".

From STOS Amok Time:
By our parents' arrangement. A ceremony while we were but seven years of age. Less than a marriage but more than a betrothal. One touches the other in order to feel each other's thoughts. In this way our minds were locked together, so that at the proper time, we would both be drawn to Koon-ut-kal-if-fee.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Thanks SB.

I will check it out when I can.

I've been hearing good things though I also hear there's more monkey business with STOS canon.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Without paying for paramount plus I was able to see episode I for free.

I thought it was very good.
The most Star Trek of any of the new Trek series by far.
The effects, acting and story were all solid.
The first story reminded me of a number of Genuine Trek episodes and the Orville.
Not a single F bomb. Double dumb ass on you is acceptable as always.

Now I have to decide if it's worth paying for.

Additionally, if anyone can find an example in any Star Trek series prior to Discovery of any episode or movie that mentions that Spock has a sister and she is the most important person in the history of the Federation, nigh the universe, I promise to watch Discovery from beginning to end without complaint. At the very least Kirk would have mentioned at some point that her exploits we're required reading at the academy, right? �

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Episode 3 was awesome!! Hopefully the writers are finding their stride a bit
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ep3 was the best one yet, but didn't blow me away. But I do like this trajectory.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Episode 4.... it just gets better. I just hope they don't get a stinker in there too early. Oh its coming. Every series has that one cringe worthy episode.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aTOMiC wrote:
Additionally, if anyone can find an example in any Star Trek series prior to Discovery of any episode or movie that mentions that Spock has a sister and she is the most important person in the history of the Federation, nigh the universe, I promise to watch Discovery from beginning to end without complaint. At the very least Kirk would have mentioned at some point that her exploits we're required reading at the academy, right? �
They sort of covered it in the second season finale where (no spoilers) they made a lot of stuff about Discovery classified. I liked the first two seasons, even though they were a bit uneven at times. I was enjoying the third, but the ending was anticlimactic. If you're going to have a high-stakes plot for the whole season, it really needs a climactic end. I just... sort of lost interest a few episodes into the fourth season. I'll probably go back at some point, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

Really enjoying SNW so far though.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I was sort of meh on Episode 5 although a lot of people seemed to think it was great. I would really like them to think up some new stories and stop trying to take old TOS episodes and create them differently.

I also (and go ahead and tell me what a bigot I am) don't like that they will be pandering to the "Tran" crowd in the coming week 7 (of course its Pride month" by introducing a non-binary character that is also a Tran actor (Jesse James from Queer as Folk) and I remember seeing that the directing will be by a Tran director. If they got the job because they were the best person for the job, then I don't care. But this feels too much like pandering to pride month rather than introducing the best plot/acting/directing, that they have at their disposal.

Outside of that I did read the review of the episode and it does appear as if they are trying to think outside the box on plot lines. So here is hoping the episode is outstanding.
Last edited by SoulBiter on Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”