Lord Foul's Bane Chapters 5 & 6

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

giants and humans?

Post by duchess of malfi »

Um Vain, do you really think that giants and humans can interbreed? I would hate to be the human woman in such a mating...and the childbirth would probably not be very safe...
Love as thou wilt.

Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Ahh but duchess - would it be necessary that the woman was human?

Post by Guest »

but what would a giantess get out of it??? :D very little!! :D
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Ummmmm......I'll withold comment ;)
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

You know SRD doesn't go into what makes individuals in the land a master when it comes to the Earthpowers. Is there a genetic difference from say just any old person and those that have an aptitude for the rhadhamaerl and lillianrill? Or is it all learned skill? Is there some inbred ability or predisposition for mastering those lores? Or could Trell's size have more to do with the Earthpower than with genetics?
Spoiler
TIW talks about how the service to the Land extends life and Trell stayed young while Atarian aged.
(hoped that worked...how exactly do you hightlight in black if I didn't get it right?)

Couldn't the Earthpower then make him bigger?
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

amanibhavam wrote: as for the shadow over the king's heart being LF or a raver - this poses a theosophical question to me: is ultimately all evil on Earth coming from LF or not? if we look at the Tale of Creation, it would seem so; yet it seems that some evils may be independent of him, banes gnawing at the roots of Earth, or the Ravers and their long-forgotten-mother (now who could she have been?)
interesting indeed!
I'll keep this in mind as we read and see what we come up with. It all boils down to what is your definition of evil.

Regarding banes, I allways figured that there are 'good' magic talismans, and evil magic talismans. The Staff of Law was good, and we see that Drool who was an evil character, was eventually destroyed by using it. The Illearth stone was evil.

I don't remember who was responsible for planting banes in the earth, I think it is mentioned in the tale of creation, wasn't it Foul?

-pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become

trell and lena

Post by Guest »

I think I might have an easier explanation for both Trell and Lena than a giant/human mating (that just boggles my mind). I'll try not to be too spoilerific...but aren't the Stonedowners very solidly built and short? And the woodhelvin tall and thin? maybe Trell carries a bit of woodhelvin blood somewhere. So he's tall AND solidly built, and his daughter is short and slender. That works for me. As to the genetic thing, check out the entry for Variol in the little dictionary thing in the back of the book. he shares a certain power with his son...it does make you wonder.

giant/human children

Post by Guest »

That really bothers me. It makes me think of some demented dog breeder trying to cross a 5 pound tea cup poodle with a 200 pound newfoundland. Some things just should never happen! :oops:
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Lady Genni wrote:You know SRD doesn't go into what makes individuals in the land a master when it comes to the Earthpowers. Is there a genetic difference from say just any old person and those that have an aptitude for the rhadhamaerl and lillianrill? Or is it all learned skill? Is there some inbred ability or predisposition for mastering those lores? Or could Trell's size have more to do with the Earthpower than with genetics?

(hoped that worked...how exactly do you hightlight in black if I didn't get it right?)

Couldn't the Earthpower then make him bigger?
To view the spoiler text, just "select" the hidden text and it will be exposed.

As for his size - well it would appear that the Giantish influence on that is not a possibility :) I'm quite happy maybe with the woodhelvin influence explanation

Post by Guest »

The Woodhelven thing would make sense for both Trell and Lena. :) Nerdanel, I was taking about the shadow in the graveling when Trell is making it. You found a second shadow that I missed when he is doing his weather forcast. Two shadows for Trell now, both associated with his power!
Spoiler
Now I'm wondering even more if they are some sort of foreshadowing for TPTP. I'll have to read the Baradakas chapter really closely to see if woodhelvin magic also has shadows in it!

Post by Guest »

That last post was from me, the duchess of malfi. somehow I got sighned off halfway through my visit. :?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

the Woodhelven link is a very cool idea! (OMG) remember what their family emblem is???! 8O 8O
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

The lilies of the field

Post by aliantha »

DoM, with that poem of Lena's, you have hit on another brilliant bit of foreshadowing! I wondered, this time through, what the heck SRD was up to when he threw that in. It didn't seem to fit anything else that was going on, other than to give TC an excuse to keep his head in Lena's lap for awhile longer. But now....

Look at the last four lines of the poem:

"but the beauty may die"
Spoiler
And isn't this what happens between TPTP and TWL?
"or the beholder may die"
Spoiler
If the "beholder" is TC, he certainly does buy the farm at the end of WGW.
"or the world may die"
Spoiler
Hasn't SRD said that if he ever writes a 3d Chrons (please, oh please, pretty please!), at the end of it, the world will be destroyed?
"but the soul in which the flower grows survives."
Spoiler
And this could be the acceptance that SRD has spoken of as the theme for the 3d Chrons, perhaps....
On another topic, somebody earlier said that Lena worshipped TC, as a 16-year-old in our world might worship a rock star, and I think that's accurate. He's bloody Berek reborn, as far as she's concerned -- that certainly lends a heroic air to her view of him.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The world will end? What world? I havent heard that before but nonetheless it brings up an interesting question between connections between our world and the Land. If this Earth was destroyed in TCTC, would the Land subsequently be destroyed? Vice versa?

What connection between the two worlds exist?

Can someone answer my questions?
Tohrm
Ramen

Post by Tohrm »

LM, I think that I asked that question in another thread. I had asked what would happen if you destroyed another dimension that was connected to ours. I don't believe that it was answered to my entire satisfaction. Somehow I think that if one dimension was destroyed, that they would all fall in upon themselves like the removal of the bottom card in a house of cards.
But then again it might just be like removing a link in a chain of connected worlds. There was an author that had proposed that in a work of fiction many years ago that there were hundreds of alternate worlds, and that they were all connected somehow.
The dead are dead-only the living may hope to resist Despite
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I, too, enjoyed LadyGenni's intro to these chapters. And I agree with those that TC didn't notice that he was regaining sensation because he was overwhelmed with the newness of the whole situation.

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Lord Mhoram wrote:If this Earth was destroyed in TCTC, would the Land subsequently be destroyed? Vice versa?

What connection between the two worlds exist?

Can someone answer my questions?
I think that the two are connected but are separated by the Arch of Time. Perhaps destroying the AoT will bring the Land and Earth together and both will be destructed.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Interesting....like a Bridge Between the Worlds...theres a concept like that in CoN
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

SRD said in an interview somewhere on the web that he was going to destroy the world in the 3d Chrons. That's what I was referring to in my spoiler (which, since it's been mentioned several times on these boards, isn't really much of a spoiler at this point...).
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

Well, coming in after a very long time...

The shadow on Berek's liege was
Spoiler
samadhi Sheol, as we find out in Book II
Atiaran's self-doubt, I think, tells us something of the real danger behind Foul: his Despite, not his raw power. It will not be armies, or the Staff of Law, or the Illearth Stone, that settles this matter. And it tells us something of how vastly powerful and terrible he is, that just knowing a very little bit of what he intends and how he thinks can totally break so strong a woman as Atiaran Trell-mate, send her fleeing from her heart's desire and her duty to hide back home like a child.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.

Return to “1st Chronicles”