The Beatles

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Worm of Despite
Lord

The Beatles

Post by Worm of Despite »

"There are only three stories worth knowing from the last 2,000 years of history: the life of Mohammed, the life of Jesus and the career of The Beatles."

Just wondering, who out there listens to them? Not many people my age do [18], and especially teenagers don't. It's a shame really. Beautiful music! I always found it sort of genius when John Lennon said that "The Beatles" name was derived from two meanings: as tribute to Buddy Holly's "Crickets" and then "beat music". I had always wondered about that till I got a hold of the Anthologies...

Personally, my favorite Beatles song is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Written by George Harrison, R. I. P. And it has a cameo by Eric Clapton! Simply awesome! I like the sort of churchy organ that plays throughout--very ethereal, very beautiful. George was a really great songwriter--better than he knew.

I'm done waxing on about The Beatles. I mean, what more can be said about them? They literally changed the world, culture... I guess my main question would be does anybody on the board NOT like them...even, dare I say, hate them? I've known one person to hate them; but then again, she's a cheerleader. Exactly...
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Wasn't the name of their band originally going to be "The Silver Beatles"?

I think their music is good, but I've always been more of an Elvis man, myself.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

My first introduction to the music world was Elvis! I originally *hated* The Beatles because they "beat out Elvis". :lol: I was 9 or so when I learned that, or 8. So my hatred was pretty childish. But, what happened was this: "What's the band's name?"
"The Beatles."
"Who's the leader?"
"Me."
"Your name?"
"John Lennon."
"Okay... John...Big John...Tall John...[etc. etc.] Long John Silver! Long John and the Silver Beatles."

Basically some guy in charge of an audition did that to their name. Heh, I thought I'd never use that info, but it's a surprising world.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I never had a real appreciation of the Beatles until I was well into my college years. I found out that John Lennon was shot while I was studying for finals my first semester in college. I shrugged and went back to studying. Part of the reason, I suppose, was that they had broken up when I was young, and having no older brothers or sisters, I never had much chance to hear them when I was young. There was never at that time the variety of radio that there is now. I read this post this morning, but had to go to work. As soon as I started up the car there was a Beatles song on the radio.

My favorites of theirs are their slower tempo songs. Something, Hey Jude. But they have many good songs.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Oh, if you like slower tempo, then try "Here, There, and Everywhere"! It's on Revolver, which is more than often called their best album, and also more than often called "best ever". But anyway, don't try Helter Skelter if you're into slow tempo! hehe...

But it's true. I probably shrugged myself when I first was told/learned that Lennon is dead. But once I got into The Beatles, understood their music, etc., then it became tragic to me.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

There you go LF, making me pull out my Revolver CD. :)

I now, though, have a real itch to listen to Rubber Soul and In My Life. Problem is it's out in my car. :)
Worm of Despite
Lord

Only Beatles stuff I own is (in order from most favorite to least of the most favorite :wink: ): Abbey Road, The White Album, Revolver (I just bought it TODAY), Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and then that "1" album. Yep, I'm a post-mop top fan. Although, I am partial to MANY of the mop top songs (especially "I Want To Hold Your Hand"), I just tend to agree with John Lennon when he said "The Beatles grew up".

You think you're having a tough time? My Revolver is at my dad's house!

But all in all, my favorite is still Led Zeppelin, because they introduced me to everything musical beyond the land of Elvis. Well, actually, I owned a Queen CD before Led Zeppelin, but it was Zeppelin that built my “Stairway” (pun intended). They sent me on that classic rock pilgrimage, which has led to the said Beatles, and then Pink Floyd, Nirvana--even Guns and Roses :!:
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Lord Foul wrote:But all in all, my favorite is still Led Zeppelin, because they introduced me to everything musical beyond the land of Elvis. Well, actually, I owned a Queen CD before Led Zeppelin, but it was Zeppelin that built my “Stairway” (pun intended). They sent me on that classic rock pilgrimage, which has led to the said Beatles, and then Pink Floyd, Nirvana--even Guns and Roses :!:
LF - What a long strange trip it's been! :) Do you listen to the Dead?
Worm of Despite
Lord

I don't have any of their stuff, and I've never honestly sat down and heard any of their songs. Heck--I don't even really know what they sound like. It's not that I don't want to--just that I've never thought about buying one of their CDs. But I'd really like to, now that I think of it!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm about as big a Beatles fan as there is on the planet. These guys were only a group for 7 years! Now we wait a few years between a band's albums, while the Beatles put out: Let It Be, White Album, Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Beatles For Sale, Meet The Beatles, Sgt Peppers, etc - some singles (Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, for example, were not originally on any album) - some movies -

7 years! All before any of them were 30! All still loved by a huge number of people.

I think I heard that George's stuff that has been out of print for a long time is maybe going to be brought back. Legal crap like that makes me nuts! If true, I'll be extremely happy to have his self-titled again! Anybody remember Blow Away?[/list]
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Damnation, is this what all shadow does to a title or just black shadow?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's probably the black on black giving it that drawn out effect. Still kinda cool looking, though.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

I think I'll have white letter and black shadow. I chose dark green glow cause Foul was glowing green in TPTP.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I love the soundtrack to Yellow Submarine. So many of their classic songs on that one, like Eleanor Rigby and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. :D
And it's all nice and crisp and cleaned up, too. :D

Also the Sgt. Pepper album, and the White Album. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Worm of Despite
Lord

Truth be told, I'm glad they broke up when they did, in a way. I think if the Beatles had gone on, they would have turned out like the Rolling Stones. Their talents might have turned to crap, like Robert Plant!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

That actually might well be true. How long has it been since the Stones or the Who (before the recent death of their bass player) produced any original and outstanding music? At least the Beatles went out at the top of their skills, before they became a charicature of themselves. :?
Love as thou wilt.

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

It's so nice to see so many other Beatles fans out there and it's an absolute joy to hear that someone of the younger generation (yes you Lord Foul) appreciates them. Coincidently "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one of my favorite Beatles tunes as well. Lennon's solo stuff is all excellent as well.

P.S.
Have you ever heard the Traveling Wilburys? If your a Beatles fan you'll certainly appreciate this supergroup's first effort. Only problem is it's exceedingly difficult to find on disc and very expensive.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Anything with Tom Petty can't be that bad.
-George Steiner
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Big Fan of T.P. (That's Tom Petty and not toilet paper though I like toilet paper as well :wink: ). I almost wore out Full Moon Fever when that album came out!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I really like the Traveling Wilburys, and yes they are hard to find. It was too bad that Orbison died so soon after they got started. :(

Return to “Vespers”