Galadriel's gift to Gimli

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Galadriel's gift to Gimli

Post by peter »

I've always been fascinated by the relationship between the Lady Galadriel and Gimli. Gimli was clearly besotted with her - not in any way that presumed to the belief of a possibility of a union, but more as an ultimate form of chivalry; a beacon he could look up to, worthy of defense unto death and yes, love in a way that goes so far beyond the physical that the two bear no relation.

For her part, Galadriel was obviously amused that she should have been the cause of such devotion - and from so unlikely a quater....... but there was also clearly a way in which she, at a deeper level, responded to it. There is no better demonstration of this than her granting of his request, when asked what gift he would require of her, of a single strand of her hair.

To the initial reading this seems almost a frivelous gesture, but it is not so. She is doing far, far more than simply granting him a meaningless (on her part) token, but rather is responding to him as her sworn protector (and him a dwarf of all things..... and her being the celebrated being she was) and saying, "I will ever be with you, as you will ever be with me."

Now this is of huge significance in itself; having bestowed such honour on a dwarf it ill became any continuance of enmity between the two races - and especially in view of the trials that lay ahead for both races. But on a smaller scale, the gift was a point of connection, a reaching out that Legolas could not ignore (not that he would have failed to see the worth of Gimli even without it), and began the bridging process that would lead to that most long standing of friendships.

But today I learned something new, something that throws the whole thing into far greater significance and makes Galadriel's gift all the more amazing. This was not the first time a single strand of hair had been requested of her. In an earlier time in Valinor (I think) Feanor, greatest of the Deep Elves had requested the same - and been refused. Thus (I learn) was the enmity between the two greatest of all the Elves born, which ultimately would lead to Feanor travelling alone out of Aman with the greater part of the Noldor, back to Middle-Earth.

Against such a hugely consequential backdrop, the granting of the gift to Gimli, her marriage to her extant husband Celeborn notwithstanding, becomes an act of staggering significance to those who witnessed it - an honour that, if it weren't enough of itself already, goes beyond the mere interactions of two mortal beings and into the levels of the Gods themselves. Gimli may often serve as the humorous foil in The Lord of the Rings - but at this point he, alongside the incomparable Galadriel, rises to the very pinnacle of the tale.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Yes! The significance of her granting Gimli his wish isn't apparent until you dig a little deeper like you did.
I wish Tolkien had written how Gandalf reacted when he heard what had happened.
It would have been an interesting perspective.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Absolutely HLT. Tolkien clearly knew exactly what he was doing when he included this scene in the book. The promise of yet further 'discoveries' (how many similar back references could there be one wonders) is very exciting to me as a new 'scholar of the legendarium' (as opposed to my previous state of simply reading TLOTR for pure pleasure alone - enough of itself, it goes without saying).

On the latter, suddenly I find myself (after years, and many readings of the above) driven to understand the deeper background of the story. I can't account for why this should come on me now, but am happy that it has. I'm into a new reading of the work, but this time am relishing the historic detail within it, and am taking the trouble to try to fix the ancient geography and events spoken of, into their third age context. I want to know the back stories of the characters I encounter, Elrond, Bombadil (on whom I have my own theory - like every reader no doubt) and the like, and names I would have previously simply accepted in the narrative now send me rushing for my tablet to do the research. (Goldberry is a particular favourite of mine; something about her simple goodness and lack of presumption I find very appealing. She only appears briefly, but the initial description of her sitting, surrounded with the flowers that Tom has collected for her reminds me much of a Pre-Raphaelite painting - say a Lady of Shalott style scene - and I rise to the beauty of this small tableaux.) It was also great to find the origin of the name of the best horse in Skyrim, the legendary Shadowmere, buried in TLOTR - a rare jewel of an easter egg for a lover of both!

Incidentally, to return to topic, the Galadriel/Gimli encounter is perhaps my favourite bit of the entire book (well, no - it can't be, can it, but it always seems that way when I reach it), so the discovery of a new, further dimension to it is very exciting to me.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”