Ghostbusters Afterlife

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Ghostbusters Afterlife

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Remember that Ghostbusters movie from a few years ago where are they really did was gender-swap all the characters? I don't either, because I never saw it, but it was a flop and a disaster.

Ghostbusters Afterlife, though....this movie is the sequel/reboot/homage that we all needed, wanted, and deserved. Unlike movies such as The Force Awakens, which is really just a rehash of A New Hope by generally following the same plot, GA is an entirely new movie which just happens to be set in the same world and same timeline as the original two movies with just enough little hints to make you say "ah hah"-- there is a tall stack of books in Igon's living room at the farmhouse--and little shoutouts to movies the other actors have been in--Paul Rudd's character stops in Wal-Mart in front of a freezer case full of Baskin Robbins ice cream---as we all know, Baskin Robbins don't play and Baskin Robbins always knows.

Harold Ramis had been asking everyone for years to do a reboot/sequel but the only holdout was Bill Murray. Unfortunately, Bill waited a little too long to say "okay--I'm in" but at least he had the dignity to agree to go along with the project. The entire movie is a dedication both to Harold Ramis and his character Igon Spengler, with the granddaughter played wonderfully by Mackenna Grace as Phoebe. Oh--this is Finn Wolfhard's second time at putting on a Ghostbusters outfit...only now he is one for real. (you know what I mean)

Get out, go see it. You won't regret it.

The only original main cast member who did not show up is Rick Moranis as Louis Tully. Everyone else makes at least a cameo appearance. Well, except Oscar, who should be in his early 40s now.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I can't wait to see this!
I mean, along with everything else you mentioned, it has Paul Rudd.
If he's ever made a movie I didn't enjoy I can't think of it.

Btw, Ghostbusters 2016 was really good, IMO.
I love the cast (but I can only take Leslie Jones in small doses with the volume down though).
I thought it was fun and the ghosts all looked cool.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Afterlife was ok. Not much of a story. The little girl stole the show. I didn't know I was going to a movie about a little girl.

Ghostbusters is a comedy. This movie is not a comedy. Cameos don't justify the ticket price, imo.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Zarathustra wrote:Afterlife was ok. Not much of a story. The little girl stole the show. I didn't know I was going to a movie about a little girl.

Ghostbusters is a comedy. This movie is not a comedy. Cameos don't justify the ticket price, imo.

Noooooo!
Damn-it!
I was hoping it was going to be awesome.
(I'm still going to see it)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:Afterlife was ok. Not much of a story. The little girl stole the show. I didn't know I was going to a movie about a little girl.

I pay only matinee prices for movies--$5. Sure, I have to see the movie before noon, but I don't mind that at all.

If you walked away thinking 'this was a movie about a little girl" then you walked in with too many preconceived notions. Sure, it was, but it was also more than just that.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I liked it a lot .. I thought it was a brilliant homage and a fun revisit of an old goodie.

And it is what it is .. I guess .. and as a cinematic offering I thought it was good.

I thought it also a nice tribute to Ramis. :cry: it was a nice mix of lols and ghost bustery suspense
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “Flicks”