Spiderman: No Way Home

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Spiderman: No Way Home

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The movie has been out for only a week now--good luck avoiding the spoilers online, including videos I have seen of people getting video captures of the movie on their phone from in the theater (always poor quality video, there)--so I won't discuss any spoilerish things, only general things you could pick up from the trailers.

The whole impetus for the movie is that Peter wants Dr. Strange to cast a spell and make the whole forget that he is Spiderman because, for some reason, he is getting swarmed by fans--both supportive and hateful--everywhere he goes....in a way that no other Avenger ever did, including the ones whose identities were public knowledge like Thor or Hulk...or Iron Man Incidentally, Clint Barton's identity is publicly known--we know this from his show, given that people want selfies with him and recognize him on sight. Anyway, despite being an Avenger somehow this is negatively impacting his life.

*sigh* Didn't we get past the old trope of "superheroes have to have a secret identity" back in 2008? No one cares anymore--in fact, some like the celebrity of it. Anyway, here are the Marvel heroes whose identities are publicly known (or at least easiliy obtainable by anyone with Internet access):
Tony Stark/Iron Man
Bruce Banner/Hulk
Thor (no alternate identity)
Vision (no alternate identity, technically deactivated, now rebuilt)
Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (no longer welcome in New Jersey)
Steve Rogers/Captain America (now retired)
Sam Wilson/Falcon/Captain America (recognized on sight)
Robert Barnes/Winter Soldier (criminal record expunged for now)
Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (her name is on a commemorative plaque in New York City)
Scott Lang/Ant Man (when a supervillain attacks your residence, that shit gets noticed and becomes a matter of public record; also, has a Federal criminal record)
James Rhodes/War Machine (on active military service)
Clint Barton/Hawkeye (also mentioned on the plaque)
Pietro Maximoff/no super name given (publicly honored on a plaque at the site where the capitol of Sokovia used to be; that nation has been absorbed by its neighbors)
Peter Parker/Spiderman (Mysterio told everyone)

So, yes, we are way past the whole secret identity schtick.

Also, the J. Jonah Jameson crap....are we still doing that, too? Seriously? In the MCU, where Spiderman is a known Avenger? No one would take his ranting seriously, not against an Avenger. Wrong continuity.

Anyway.....yes, the other Spidermen are in it and their scenes are really good callbacks to their movies. I am glad they acknowledged them and gave them screen time to reprise their roles--its like those episodes of Doctor Who when versions of the Doctor all meet up.

It was a good way to have the Sinister Six in a movie, since they got split up among franchises...even though there are only five of them....and one of them is motivated only by "I just want to go back home".

Willem DaFoe's Green Goblin is still one of the most irredeemable villains in any Marvel-related movie.

I am curious about one thing, though. Since the villains are from different timelines/different points in time, should not the TVA have shown up to prune the variants? *shrug*

Go see it--it is worth the watch.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I saw it, thought it was great. I'm not a comic book fan, so I care nothing about continuity or the overall picture. I can enjoy each movie individually.

On the points above, I think you need to remember that Peter Parker is a kid, whose friends are kids. They are all still in high school (even though he has wrinkles in the close-ups :) ). So the issues of privacy might be more important for a minor and his friends. People surrounding superheroes often die, so it's a legitimate concern. Stark can escape the public eye at his mansions, Thor can escape to his home planet, but Parker lives at home with his aunt and goes to public school. Not exactly apples-to-apples.

The Jameson thing didn't bother me. It didn't really affect the plot all that much. And no matter how much people are revered, there are always going to be those who shit all over them. Just look at how the Left talks about our Founding Fathers and demonstrably great presidents like Reagan. It happens all the time.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I thought it was great!
Extremely well done and a lot of fun.

I'm a huge Spidey comicbook fan and they nailed it completely.
Loved Dr. Strange too.

Jonah was great, imo.
That's pretty much how he was for the first 300 comics too.
I was hoping to see his face on a ridiculous looking spider slayer robot too but no go.
Maybe in another movie. :biggrin:

I really don't have any negatives for this movie.
I loved Doc Ock too. He was absolutely vicious.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The fight scenes were amazing. I don't know how they choreograph things that are so clearly impossible!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Zarathustra wrote:The fight scenes were amazing. I don't know how they choreograph things that are so clearly impossible!
Did you tear up a little for the Andrew scene?
(You must know what scene I mean)
I did and I thought it was awesome that they did that.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I think it would have meant more to me if I'd seen his movies. I completely missed them.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Apparently that scene was the reason Garfield said yes to coming back!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just got back from it. Loved it. Loved it to death. I don't have a negative word about any of it. Even down to little things like, "I'm a really good lawyer."

I knew nothing about the movie going into it, other than the botched spell and a couple of villains. I had no idea all the other guest stars, no idea of the plot. I was delightfully surprised every step of the way. Well, not delighted at one particular thing, of course. Damn.

I've never collected the comics. I have probably a few dozen over the years, but only specific issues and the occasional story arc. But the movies have been just incredible all the way through. Even the animated one a few years back.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Loved this, thought it was great. Unfortunately I'd read to much prior to the release so new to expect the guest appearances. Wish I hadn't done that. Still, it was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to watching it again soon.

Return to “Flicks”