The Batman

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

The Batman

Post by dlbpharmd »

I was determined that I wasn't going to see this new version of Batman. I thought the casting of Pattinson was sheer lunacy, and I thought the Bale version of Batman was definitive and Nolan's films couldn't be exceeded.

Then, my youngest daughter saw The Batman with a friend, and she told me that I absolutely had to see it too. She said there were a lot of elements taken from the Batman Arkham video games, which I absolutely adore and have played over and over again. She told me she wanted me to see it and she would go with me. So, I relented, and I'm glad that I did.

I still think Pattinson doesn't make a good Batman, and he was a shitty Bruce Wayne, looking all goth and morose. He's a skinny Batman in costume. However, there is a great vibe to this film, and sense of dread at whatever is coming next.

In the comics and games, the Riddler is a mere nuisance, quirky, not really someone to take seriously (although, the end of the Riddler side quest in Arkham City did go in the direction of Riddler being a serial killer.) Riddler in this film is really dark, really scary. I loved that this wasn't yet another film about the Joker, who in my opinion is over-explained and over-utilized. I also enjoyed the Penguin and it was great to see Carmine Falcone.

My overall, this new film is now my favorite Batman movie. Highly recommended!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You have to check out the deleted Joker scene that they posted online, and let us know what you think of Joker version 12.

This is on my list, but I haven't seen it yet. We've only recently started going back to theatres, and then not that much, and then then I need to put a few rom coms in the bank.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Heard that the film has moved slightly in the direction of Joker in terms of its 'feel'. Not overtly so, just in the way that the villains in particular are moved in a slightly more human/less comic-book style. The whole thing is more serious, less pastiche, type of thing. Anything in this?

(I'm a huge Joker fan; any move in that direction would suit me. Many would, I'm aware, not agree with this. ;) )
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

This movie doesn't do a whole lot for the character of Batman himself except to make him a little more human and it plays up his apathetic "I don't care if I live or die" attitude somewhat. Catwoman...this Catwoman is straight out of Year One and so the character works perfectly.

The Penguin being somewhat restyled as just a high-level mob goon, like an underboss, with a scarred face and a New Jersey accent--this works and frames that character nicely.

Man, oh, man, though--The Riddler. This movie completely changes both how we will see the Riddler from now and and should drive how he is depicted in the comics. The Riddler has always been highly intelligent, but that whole "I am a criminal but my only real goal is to prove myself smarter than Batman" is gone forever. This Riddler gets his hands dirty in person and actually presents himself as a figure to be feared, since the only traces to himself are the web posts he leaves behind--no other forensic evidence.

The underscore of class struggle that got touched on in Dark Knight Rises is still present, though--the victims are all wealthy white city leaders who some of the characters feel "they had it coming". We can chalk that up to it being the 2020s, though.

I have nothing against the character of Lucius Fox, but, truthfully, he isn't needed. The idea that the hero with the secret identity has a big brain back at the lair who builds the tech or watches in on missions is so 1990s--I actually call it the Kim Possible effect. It's just stupid--the more people you tell makes it more likely you will be found out. Anyway....in general the whole idea of "secret identity" is old and outdated--if any superhero actually happened in this world there would be the Tony Stark effect--immediate celebrity stauts.

Long movie, but defintely worth the watch. Thank goodness we left the gravely voice behind, too.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's on Sky pay per view at last. Could well watch it later and will report back in due course.

All the people I know who've seen it have enjoyed it.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Watched The Batman last night. I enjoyed the film.
I was relieved that Matt Reeves dropped us right in the middle of the narrative instead of covering the same ground of an origin story yet again. The opening voiceover was so similar to Rorschach's from Watchmen it took time for me to become invested in the story.
I have to say The Batman didn't do much to reinvent the character but there were elements of the story that I appreciated such as Batman being reluctantly allowed to enter an active police crime scene.
This Riddler performed a function reminiscent of Christopher Nolan's Joker and was effective in that role but wasn't as unique as I would have wanted. I liked Robert Pattinson. His Bruce Wayne was more detached from society, brooding and introverted, less able to screw a smile on his face to play the part of Batman's alter ego.
This film established Pattinson's Batman but leaves one actually looking forward to what else this Batman may do in future films.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Tom has pretty much written the post as I'd have done if I'd got there first. ;)

I also picked up on the Rorschach similarity and also the continual rain thing from Watchmen. The film made the whole cast of characters more human - it was a great touch how the Bat flinched when he suddenly came to the edge of a tall building, before plucking up the courage to launch himself off into space - and the film was the better for it. As has been noted, almost more detective story than Batman movie, the film took us into a new direction in the Batman (on celluloid) story and was worth the watch for this alone.

All in all a pretty good fist (except I thought that the final few closing moments were a bit weak). [spoiler] I'd love to have seen Joaquin Phoenix in the cell next to the Riddler - but hey, you can't have everything![/spoiler] I'll stay with the reboot if/when the next installment appears.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The opening voiceover was so similar to Rorschach's from Watchmen it took time for me to become invested in the story.
You're right, I didn't notice that.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ooooh I can't wait to see it.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “Flicks”