Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

For now this is just a placeholder, giving people a week or two to see it and process it.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I saw it and liked it.

It was fun and fast moving and didn't go in the direction I thought it was going to go which was nice:
[spoiler]I thought Wanda was going to be enlisted by Strange to help him and thereby earn her redemption. When she was in fact the uber-villian I was like, damn, that was good.[/spoiler]

Initially, after all the horrible, imo, post-Endgame Marvel movies I lowered my expectations for this one.
Then when Sam Rami was quoted as saying that he had never made a movie before where he didn't know the ending, I expected the worst.
Any movie with 3 or more directors, like this one had, is usually a total mess but.. it was fine.
Which is kinda amazing considering they re-shot something like 60% to 80% of the movie the past year.
That's crazy!

If Rami had been given full control and this was rated-R it would have been absolutely awesome, I think.
But Disney has to Disney and keep everything PG-13.

I loved the post post credit scene with Bruce Campbell because I love that guy and what he did was a funny homage to Army of Darkness.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I liked it for the most part.

However, one part in the middle I thought was a little too gruesome for what a Marvel movie should be. I don't expect much agreement on that. But it did subtract from my enjoyment considerably.

Bruce Campbell was awesome. He deserves to be cast as something.

This series is going to have problems if it doesn't come back "down to earth". We've had infinite powers, and then infinitier powers, and then infinitiest powers ... it's running out of infinite. It gets pointless.

I could use something like The Batman.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:I liked it for the most part.

However, one part in the middle I thought was a little too gruesome for what a Marvel movie should be. I don't expect much agreement on that. But it did subtract from my enjoyment considerably.

Bruce Campbell was awesome. He deserves to be cast as something.

This series is going to have problems if it doesn't come back "down to earth". We've had infinite powers, and then infinitier powers, and then infinitiest powers ... it's running out of infinite. It gets pointless.

I could use something like The Batman.
I understand but don't agree with your POV. Nothing in these movies deal with anything infinite. Just because it's too far over the horizon to see doesn't mean the shore isn't there in the distance. In my opinion Marvel is just opening up the toy box they have been playing in for years in the comics and allowing the movies to have fun with that too.

Haven't seen DS2 yet but I've heard it's a bit gory in places. I don't know how to evaluate that until I see it for myself. But looking forward to it.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We saw it, and liked it also.

I would describe it as close to being a horror movie as Disney can go, and I'm OK with that.

Wanda was freaking awesome. I was reminded of the Green Lantern "Emerald Twilight" series from the late 80s.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

wayfriend wrote:Bruce Campbell was awesome. He deserves to be cast as something.
Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi have been good friends since the early 1980s.

I am actually a little surprised that Campbell was not in any of the GotG movies--he would fit in perfectly.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:Nothing in these movies deal with anything infinite.
C'mon. They are even called "Infinite Stones". :)

There were at least two artifacts of infinite power in DSitMoM.

And there was one person.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I enjoyed it. Wanda was amazing. I didn't know what her role in it was before seeing it, so was nicely surprised.

Possibly the first comic I ever bought was Avengers 188, in which the Scarlet Witch zaps the Darkhold out of Beast's foot. (He's holding it with his foot instead of his hand as he reads it.)

I didn't think it was as great as a lot of other MCU movies. Nothing wrong with it. Just not as great. Particularly because the multiversal madness of the recent Spiderman was so damned good.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Fist and Faith wrote:I enjoyed it. Wanda was amazing. I didn't know what her role in it was before seeing it, so was nicely surprised.
She and her brother spent two days watching a Jerico missile threaten to kill them
Then they became radicalized
Then they volunteered for Hyrda experiments
Then her brother got killed
Then she killed those innocent people in Lagos by accident
Then she sided with Captain America and wound up in prison
Then she had an intense relationship with Vision
Then she killed him by blowing up the Mind Stone
Then she got to watch Thanos reverse time and kill him again
Then she spent five years being dead
Then she went to go retrieve his body, only to find SWORD had him disassembled and mutilated as they were trying to reactivate him
Then she went to Westview, found the house he bought for them, and in her grief she mass-manipulated reality, turning the town into a sitcom under her direction--husband intact
Then she had children
Then when it spiraled out of control she had to release her control over everyone in Westview at the cost of erasing her children from existence
Then she absorbed Agatha's powers, ascended to Scarlet Witch status, and studied the Darkhold, which corrupted her

The real problem with MoM is this: what is the difference between "alternate reality" and "alternate timeline"? Yes, things like "oh, a cartoon universe--okay, that's different" but a simple shift such as "in this universe we defeated Thanos" should count as "alternate timeline"....so where was the TVA? Shouldn't they have been pruning all the variants? We cannot accurately fit the events of the Loki show anywhere because the TVA exists in Limbo, which is effectively adjacent to all points in time--it is removed enough from this reality that Infinity Stones do not work there.

The MCU--including the MCTVU--is still telling some good stories but now they no longer fit together in a cohesive narrative. I doubt it all survives past the end of Phase IV, presuming it lasts even that long.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I enjoyed the film, though I think it was held back by the need for it to fit the MCU style. Could have done with the Sam Raimi weirdness going even deeper.

As for the TVU question, I was under the impression that the end of Loki meant the timelines were splintered again and no longer limited to the one grand timeline.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I'm Murrin wrote:As for the TVU question, I was under the impression that the end of Loki meant the timelines were splintered again and no longer limited to the one grand timeline.
Yes, there are now infinite timelines once more--everything which can happen, will happen, at least somewhere. He Who Remains said he didn't know what would happen...but I wager he had a pretty good guess and that events went down exactly as he expected them to. That version of him is dead, though, so that version of him no longer cares.

If the new version of Vision had done a better job at locating Wanda then the events of this movie would not have occurred.

Return to “Flicks”