Answering the call

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Glorifindal
Servant of the Land

Answering the call

Post by Glorifindal »

Greeting s folks -

Well, I read the first Chronicles when I was 11 years old - the second chronicles as soon as they came out - then the third chronicles this last month.

I was surely too young to understand everything in LFB ( I remember my mother not answering a certain question about Lena) but I still decided to get a white gold wedding ring when I got married ...

I'm still struggling with how TC dealt with Foul in the end but the rest of the third chronicles are pretty amazing. LInden turned out to be top notch

Over the last 40 years I have only read one other set of fantasy books - the saga of the exiles and the galactic mileau books by Julian May ... but what stirs me the moost about the chronicles of TC is the self sacrifice and dedication of ithe people of the Land something else I did not click to as a child, but something that moves me greatly in my current midlife crisis 😀

I also found it a shame that SD included some swearing in the LC - otherwise his use of the English language is still something to learn from ...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well you have excellent taste! The Galactic Milieu is among my very small number of favorites! (I haven't read Pliocene exile yet.) Actually, it was recommended to me by someone here, Infelice. Although she's long absent :( )

Welcome to the Watch!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch. Congratulations on that all-important second post...even if it took over eight years from the first.

May you thrive here...and contribute.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Glorifindal.
Be Well Come and True.
Glorifindal
Servant of the Land

Post by Glorifindal »

Fist and Faith wrote: (I haven't read Pliocene exile yet.)
Welcome to the Watch!
Saga of the exiles is easy to read, very funny in parts, and is the very definition of a good fantasy read (takes you out of this world)

Thanks
Glorifindal
Servant of the Land

Post by Glorifindal »

Savor Dam wrote:Welcome to the Watch. Congratulations on that all-important second post...even if it took over eight years from the first.

May you thrive here...and contribute.
Eight years? Have you been waiting for me since then? 😂

Excuse the overly familiar humour, I am Scottish by birth ...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome (back) aboard Glorifindal. :D Join in everywhere.

Personally the swearing didn't bother me at all. More realistic if you ask me.
Fist and Faith wrote:(I haven't read Pliocene exile yet.)
Wait, what? You sent me copies of them all and you haven't read it yourself yet? For shame. :D

(I actually prefer the second series to the Pliocene one, and I think the prequel "Intervention" is my favourite of them all.)

--A
wayfriend

Re: Answering the call

Post by wayfriend »

Glorifindal wrote:I'm still struggling with how TC dealt with Foul in the end
If you can explain that a bit, I might be able to point you to some posts around here that deal with your question.
Glorifindal wrote:LInden turned out to be top notch
Ain't that the truth! Welcome to Linden's Army.
Glorifindal
Servant of the Land

Post by Glorifindal »

wayfriend wrote:
Glorifindal wrote:I'm still struggling with how TC dealt with Foul in the end
If you can explain that a bit, I might be able to point you to some posts around here that deal with your question.
I'll try thanks ...

With the 3 amigos (TC, LA, JA) apotheosising and being able to step out of time, surely they would have been able to come up with something more than "embracing Foul" ... ?

Unless of course they were suddenly to comprehend that all of eternal life needs to be bound by forgiveness ...?
Last edited by Glorifindal on Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorifindal
Servant of the Land

Post by Glorifindal »

(I actually prefer the second series to the Pliocene one, and I think the prequel "Intervention" is my favourite of them all.)

--A
Aye, I fully agree with you there .. 'Intervention' is an amazing blend of science fiction, fantasy, politics and crime .. (oh man, Kieran O'Conner !)

I've only ever met one other person who has read these books (in person I mean) and this is the only forum I have joined - so thanks for dropping by ...
Last edited by Glorifindal on Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Glorifindal
Servant of the Land

Post by Glorifindal »

wayfriend wrote:
Glorifindal wrote:LInden turned out to be top notch
Ain't that the truth! Welcome to Linden's Army.
Yes, I would consider myself a part of that army - thanks muchly. It took me 7 books to join, but when I realised that she was at heart a healer then a lot of her seeming "weaknesses " made sense.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Avatar wrote:Wait, what? You sent me copies of them all and you haven't read it yourself yet? For shame. :D
Really? I sent you those? I don't remember. Maybe I figured you'd read them a dozen times before I managed once. I remember sending you some Malazan. Probably the first four.
Avatar wrote:(I actually prefer the second series to the Pliocene one, and I think the prequel "Intervention" is my favourite of them all.)
Yup. Just excellent stuff.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Glorifindal wrote:With the 3 amigos (TC, LA, JA) apotheosising and being able to step out of time, surely they would have been able to come up with something more than "embracing Foul" ... ?
Well, I admit, that one threw me for a bit. But it would not be a bad idea to start here:

TLD. Fusing the psychological alloy - an allegory unravelled

And maybe also:

The Redemption of Roger Covenant
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Glorifindal wrote:...so thanks for dropping by ...
LOL, on the contrary, thank you for dropping by. ;)
Fist and Faith wrote:
Avatar wrote:Wait, what? You sent me copies of them all and you haven't read it yourself yet? For shame. :D
Really? I sent you those? I don't remember. Maybe I figured you'd read them a dozen times before I managed once. I remember sending you some Malazan. Probably the first four.
:LOLS:

Yes you did. :D Think it was about 2008. All of them except Intervention, which I found some years later. (And I've only read them 3 or 4 times, so :P) And you sent me DHG, MoI and Hoc. :D (LuciMay sent me GotM.)

I think of y'all every time I read them. ;) (and now I think a re-read is in order...been a while since I visited with Jack The Bodiless...)

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I was not aware of Intervention at the time. I found it some years later.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The Summonsing”