Legion of Super-Heroes

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Legion of Super-Heroes

Post by Fist and Faith »

Didn't realize there wasn't a thread for them. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff to say about them. I'll start with this.

I've lately been rereading the run that started in 1989, superbly drawn by Giffen. Mary and Tom Bierbaum wrote it in the beginning, and Giffen did some of the writing also. I'm not going to look it up and see who did how many issues or how long whoever was on the title. But anyway, this is absolutely amazing stuff. Reworking the mythos as they reworked the timeline a couple of times, was just brilliant. A lot of old things to tug on our nostalgic heartstrings, combined with a lot of new things. Can't recommend this more.

That is, if you know the Legion in the first place. You need to know who the Legionnaires are, individually and the various romantic couples. You need to know who the Time Trapper and Mordru are. Would be very helpful to know the Magic Wars, which ended the previous series. (I didn't care for the Magic Wars, but it's good to know the events.)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I read a bunch in the late '70s when it was called Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Probably more for Saturn Girl's blonde hair and costume than anything else. :oops: :lol:

Hey, it's ok, I was 12. :lol:

This run was my favorite:

Saturn Girl

https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, only right after the issues you posted they dropped Superboy from the title.

An interesting thing is that Jim Shooter was the writer for a while, starting in 1966 with Adventure Comics 346, when he was 14 years old.. That's pretty amazing. Sometimes you think a lot of these characters had stupid origins. Well, he was only 14. So cut him some slack. :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Right? What a crazy world it used to be! :lol:. Can you imagine being there at the beginning of all this? Not even knowing it was going to be anything like it is.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I've had a couple of issues but it didn't click for me.

I've always thought that, like a Roman legion, this group should be made up of over 5,000 members. Of course that would put quite a strain on the comic artist ( except George Perez who could have handled it with ease).
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sometimes it seems like there are 5,000. Throw in the Legion of Substitute-Heroes, the Heroes of Lallor, the Wanderers...
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

HUGE fan of LOSH. I collected them in the early to mid 80s, and then years later found a lot of missing issues on ebay and picked them up fairly cheaply, and had about 75 consecutive issues. All of those, along with my entire comics collection, disappeared about 2005 or so, and I've never been able to find out what happened to it.

I still think "The Great Darkness Saga" is the best story arc in any comic, ever.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dlbpharmd wrote:HUGE fan of LOSH. I collected them in the early to mid 80s, and then years later found a lot of missing issues on ebay and picked them up fairly cheaply, and had about 75 consecutive issues. All of those, along with my entire comics collection, disappeared about 2005 or so, and I've never been able to find out what happened to it.
I'm telling you, kindle comic books are excellent. For $1.99 per issue, you can get most any comic from not too many years ago. I still have my comics, but I've bought many on kindle. For the ease, so I don't open those old things more than I need to, and because the quality is perfect.
dlbpharmd wrote:I still think "The Great Darkness Saga" is the best story arc in any comic, ever.
I wouldn't argue with that. Incredible stuff. I'll call it a tie for 1st with a small number of other things. I didn't even know who Darkseid was when TGDS came out, and it was still mind-blowing.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

This is from 2006:
dlbpharmd wrote:
Sort of combining the two, how about the LSH issue - Life, Death, and the End of Time - when a few of the Legionaires went to get revenge on the Time Trapper for killing Superboy. Rond Vidar revealing himself to be a GL is one of my favorite moments in comic history!
That issue is missing from my collection, and I've never read it, but I would like to!

Man, I have got to get my comics out of storage!
If you have not read this issue yet, you are missing out big time. Holy cow. It's a $1.99 on kindle. Just get this one Kindle so you can read this issue, even if you're not interested in comics on kindle.
https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super-Her ... 150&sr=8-1
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dlb, did you read L.E.G.I.O.N.? That was excellent. Also Giffen.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Love LSH. The five year gap
Is my favorite run..

https://majorspoilers.com/2008/09/28/he ... ionnaires/
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon