I have finally "read" Harry Potter!

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

StevieG
Andelanian

I have finally "read" Harry Potter!

Post by StevieG »

Looks like there hasn't been much action on this forum for a while :D

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have finally discovered audiobooks, and Stephen Fry's amazing narration of the Harry Potter series really caught my attention. It's interesting to me, as I watched the movies a while ago without having read the books, and in general enjoyed them.

Now that I have listened to the books, I think it was the right way to go about it. As usual, the books have a far greater level of detail, and they flow amazingly well. Each book works logically, and they flow! They flow really well. The writing is surprisingly impressive, and the story is compelling.

The final showdown is way better than the movies. I think that the series would have worked way better if it were a tv series, like GoT and others. Then the detail could have been included.

Once I completed the series, I thought I'd also listen to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Very very interesting! It deals with time travel and its consequences. I'm glad it was only one book because I'm not sure I could cope with another epic series.

Has anyone any thoughts on the Cursed Child?
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I haven't read The Cursed Child, Stevie, but I've read all the books and often watch the films which I have on DVD. I too was disappointed with the film of the last book. They missed out most of the family history stuff :-). I will now have to get the audio books as Stephen Fry must be amazing.

By the way, how did you manage to get hold of the Scott Brick audios? I'm really frustrated that I can't get them over here in England.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yes, that's strange, because normally Australia and the UK have the same access to books, and audiobooks. I have accessed Scott Brick's readings through Audible.com. At the moment I'm doing a trial.

The Stephen Fry audio books are free on this site:

https://harrypotteraudiobookfree.net/ha ... audiobook/

Stephen Fry is an absolute hero of mine. He narrates this series with passion and pleasure!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I"ve listened to the Jim Dale read Harry Potter years ago. I'll check out the Stephen Fry version.

I read the text script of Cursed Child when first released. I think it would be an amazing two day theater experience, but I'm not really a fan of reading scripts.

I have been enjoying the Fantastic Beasts series. The third film is awaiting me to pick it up at the library.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

The Harry Potter series is incredibly well written.
When Deathly Hallows came out I literally didn't stop reading it for an entire day.
(I can't remember if I finished it that same day though. I think it took me two days.)
I remember thinking that I couldn't believe that she could have wrapped everything up in one book but she did.
And the finale between Harry and Voldemort was amazing!
Which is why I always say that the last two movies are abominations.
All the previous movies were really good though.

I try to reread Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings every year.
They never gets old.

I might try the audio books now.
I enjoys hearing books in the car.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I remember thinking that I couldn't believe that she could have wrapped everything up in one book but she did.
I thought the same thing. It's not a super long book, but nothing feels rushed in the slightest.

I'm considering watching the movies again now that I know the story better.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

StevieG wrote:I'm considering watching the movies again now that I know the story better.
You may find the movies to be not quite as enchanting, having read the books. To me, while I still love and appreciate them, they are definitely well done clumsy adaptations that leave a lot of enticing, and to my mind, necessary detail out. Some things are severely changed to fit the story to the screen without being able to give the background. But, that's my impression having read and devoured the novels first; since you are approaching them from the opposite experience, it may not hit you as hard.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yes I have been thinking about that. I sort of want to watch them to see how major characters are presented in the movies as well. There are some that I can’t remember very well in the movies, but feature prominently in the books.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Menolly wrote:
StevieG wrote:I'm considering watching the movies again now that I know the story better.
You may find the movies to be not quite as enchanting, having read the books. To me, while I still love and appreciate them, they are definitely well done clumsy adaptations that leave a lot of enticing, and to my mind, necessary detail out. Some things are severely changed to fit the story to the screen without being able to give the background. But, that's my impression having read and devoured the novels first; since you are approaching them from the opposite experience, it may not hit you as hard.

I watch the movies around Christmas time.
They seem to fit that holiday well for me for some reason.
Maybe the DVD sales and gifting at that time were a big deal.
(did I mention already that I skip the last two movies? :D )
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, I was about to say the first 4 movies weren't bad. After that they got increasingly confused (and confusing) due to lack of explanation / exposition / whatever.

I especially got the feeling from Half-Blood Prince on that if I hadn't read them, I wouldn't have known what the hell was going on.

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

That’s kind of why I want to watch them again - now I actually know what’s going on :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Strange way to do it I know, but I've seen the first few films and am finishing off the story by reading the final few books. I'm half way through the half blood prince - about where I left of the film series (I've read the previous book, order o t p before this, but nothing prior to that). I'm really enjoying the prince - sort of more relatable now that they are getting a bit older and the tales maybe that little bit darker.

Certainty will keep going until I've finished the series and might every go back and read the earlier books.

And a re-run of the films (especially the later ones I haven't seen) is quite possibly on the cards as well.

Feeling the need for some light fantasy in my life at present, in the face of the dark and gloomy forecast of our situation (politically, socially and quality of life etc).
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”