Steven Erikson

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

snake0024
Ramen

Steven Erikson

Post by snake0024 »

any of you ever heard of him?

He is the author of A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. The series is ten books, with a few novellas. The fifth book is being released in March, and the first book is Gardens of the Moon.
The books are available in most of Europe, Australia, and Canada, and they will be released in the States on the 20th of June

Here is a good fan site: www.geocities.com/stevenerikson2002/author.html

And here is the official web site, with the forums: www.malazanempire.com/
:)
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

It's about time they brought the books down here. I ordered Gardens Of The Moon last year from Amazon, and they couldn't find it for me.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I almost bought an Erikson book the other day--maybe I will. I've heard tons of folks rave about him....
fall far and well Pilots!
tomo
Stonedownor

Post by tomo »

I've read the first four, and really enjoyed them.

There's a cast of thousands, and it's a little tricky (at least it was for me) to figure out who is important and who is incidental cannon-fodder. Even the most minor characters have character, which I liked.

I think that it's good enough that when book 5 comes out, I'll not wait for the normal-sized paperback, but I'll buy the hardback. Probably.

Tom
Reave the Just
Servant of the Land

Post by Reave the Just »

Great books - up there with Mr Donaldson (although different in style). Complex and very original world-building.

I believe his books have been (or are about to be) published in the U.S.

Oh and Steve noted Lord Foul's Bane as one of his top 5 all time fantasy books.

www.Malazan.com also has a great forum. [/url]
when in Rome, do the Jerk
snake0024
Ramen

Post by snake0024 »

howdy Reave, I didn't think I would see another Malazan here :)

and only seven more days until Midnight Tides is released here...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I keep hearing good things...I am glad his stuff will finally be released here. Though if I had known it was out in Canada, I might have picked some up over the River... 8) As things stand, I will probably wait until it is out in my local bookstore...I have a ton of things to read in the meantime. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

The Malazan book of the fallen is GREAT STUFF, but it took me to about halfway into book 2 to get into it and that is fairly long.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
snake0024
Ramen

Post by snake0024 »

hmm... most people end up enjoying the malazan books by the time they are about half way through the first book...
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

The first book was enjoyable enough, but I felt quite lost in the setting for quite a while.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

SRD really likes Erikson. He has a link (a different one than provided in this thread) to his Malazan home page on the Links page (in the From the Author section) of the official site.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I started reading Gardens of the Moon coupe of days ago. Seems good, although there are a lot of different PoVs...
tomo
Stonedownor

Post by tomo »

Well, book 5 (Midnight Tides) is out now, in big paperback. I thought that I'd buy it, but I've got another 5.3 Patrick O'Brians to read, followed by Ilium, Pandora's Star, Absolution Gap, and Forty Signs Of Rain, not necessarily in that order. By the time I've finished those, it'll probably be out in normal size.

Tom
"so marvelously had it been constructed, that from a hundred feet away the tiny crack between wood and stone was completely invisible."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Is Midnight Tides shorter than the other books? The first four are about 700, 800, 1000, and 1000, but Amazon says book five is 509....
snake0024
Ramen

Post by snake0024 »

Glad to see you at Malazan Empire Murrin :)

but MT is over 700 pages (Trade paperback), and seems about the same size as the others...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think your right (assuming trade paperback (691 pages) has a lower pagecount than normal paperback).
Yeah, I saw the Malazan Empire in a Google Search, didn't realise you'd linked it here.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Gardens of the Moon is finally being published in america - before I link it I'd like to apologise for the terrible cover (it bears no relation to the story, and I will kill them if they change the cover of the next book, which IMO has the best book cover I've seen in a long time) and say that if any of you call the series 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' instead of it's real title 'Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen', I will hunt you down (the american publisher have decided 'A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen' (9 words, 40 characters) is too long to go on the cover, so they've changed it to 'Book One of the 'Malazan Book of the Fallen'' (9 words, 43 characters).
Anyway:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ ... ce&s=books

Comes out 1st June in the US.
If you live somewhere else, or can't stand that cover, the first five books of the series are already out in many, many places. This series is definately a must-read.

Edit - Oh, and I know it's already been mentioned that SRD likes Erikson, but here's exactly what he said about Gardens of the Moon:
Stephen R. Donaldson wrote:Steven Erikson is an extraordinary writer. I read Gardens of the Moon with great pleasure. And now that I have read it, I would be hard pressed to decide what I enjoyed more: the richly and ominously magical world of Malaz and Genabackis; the large cast of sympathetically-rendered characters; or the way the story accumulates to a climax that hits like machinegun fire. My advice to anyone who might listen to me is, Treat yourself to Gardens of the Moon. And my entirely selfish advice to Steven Erikson is, write faster.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Hmm, I work in a bookstore as an accounts manager from time to time, and I've a pretty decent knowledge of what is good and what is crap in fantasy.

I've always wanted to pick up this series, something about the cover makes it look so amazing and the teaser on the flap is interesting as well. Well, finally we got a new shipment in, and usually the first book in the series is always out, but I managed to grab the first 4 books in paperback, so I have plenty of reading to do.

As I begin the story, I find myself in much the same boat as when I started George Martin. Kind of overwhelming with its length, and style, and characters, and so much ot take in, you'r ein the middle of an empire being taken over, and it takes a bit to get used to it, but I'm glad that I've picked up these oboks.

It's interesting that he would only have these publisehd in Canada and UK and not in the states up until now. Anyways, lucky that I'm a Canadian, Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

That cover makes me giggle. That girl's lowcut armor is a hoot! :lol: I guess she hopes to be protected from her enemies by flashing her bosom at them! :lol:

Nonetheless, horrible cover besides, I have Gardens of the Moon on preorder from Amazon. I have heard so many great recommends, I have to give it a try. So much for my resolution to not start anymore unfinished series. :wink: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

Oh man.. i'm losing heart at all these accounts. For all the same reasons as u all [and cos a friend was bending my arm to breaking point] i got the first Malazan book recently.. and have been working myself up to get started. I'm a slow starter with most books.. and these do sound tough going to get into.. but doubtless i shall assay the task eventually :D

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”