FIFA World Cup 2022

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

StevieG
Andelanian

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by StevieG »

The soccer World Cup has just begun in Qatar. I'll add results and any commentary here. I reckon I'll update results in the second post, and any further thoughts I'll add in subsequent posts. Or maybe I'll forget to post and leave it incomplete - who knows :D

Group A - Netherlands, Ecuador, Senegal, Qatar

Group B - England, Wales, USA, Iran

Group C - Argentina, Mexico, Poland, Saudi Arabia

Group D - Australia, Denmark, France, Tunisia

Group E - Costa Rica, Germany, Japan, Spain

Group F - Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Morocco

Group G - Brazil, Cameroon, Serbia, Switzerland

Group H - Ghana, South Korea, Portugal, Uruguay

Current World Rankings
1 - Brazil
2 - Belgium
3 - Argentina
4 - France
5 - England
7 - Spain
8 - Netherlands
9 - Portugal
10 - Denmark
11 - Germany
12 - Croatia
13 - Mexico
14 - Uruguay
15 - Switzerland
16 - USA
18 - Senegal
19 - Wales
20 - IR Iran
21 - Serbia
22 - Morocco
24 - Japan
26 - Poland
28 - Korea Republic
30 - Tunisia
31 - Costa Rica
38 - Australia
41 - Canada
43 - Cameroon
44 - Ecuador
50 - Qatar
51 - Saudi Arabia
61 - Ghana
Last edited by StevieG on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Group Stage Results

Group A

Ecuador 2 def Qatar 0
Netherlands 2 def Senegal 0
Senegal 3 def Qatar 1
Netherlands 1 drew Ecuador 1
Senegal 2 def Ecuador 1
Netherlands 2 def Qatar 0

Netherlands and Senegal qualify for the round of 16

Group B

England 6 def Iran 2
USA 1 drew Wales 1
Iran 2 def Wales 0
England 0 drew USA 0
USA 1 def Iran 0
England 3 def Wales 0

England and USA qualify for the round of 16

Group C

Saudi Arabia 2 def Argentina 1
Mexico 0 drew Poland 0
Poland 2 def Saudi Arabia 0
Argentina 2 def Mexico 0
Argentina 2 def Poland 0
Mexico 2 def Saudi Arabia 1

Argentina and Poland qualify for the round of 16

Group D

Denmark 0 drew Tunisia 0
France 4 def Australia 1
Australia 1 def Tunisia 0
France 2 def Denmark 1
Tunisia 1 def France 0
Australia 1 def Denmark 0

France and Australia qualify for the round of 16

Group E

Japan 2 def Germany 1
Spain 7 def Costa Rica 0
Costa Rica 1 def Japan 0
Spain 1 drew Germany 1
Japan 2 def Spain 1
Germany 4 def Costa Rica 2

Japan and Spain qualify for the round of 16

Group F

Morocco 0 drew Croatia 0
Belgium 1 def Canada 0
Morocco 2 def Belgium 0
Croatia 4 def Canada 1
Croatia 0 drew Belgium 0
Morocco 2 def Canada 1

Morocco and Croatia qualify for the round of 16

Group G

Switzerland 1 def Cameroon 0
Brazil 2 def Serbia 0
Cameroon 3 drew Serbia 3
Brazil 1 def Switzerland 0
Switzerland 3 def Serbia 2
Cameroon 1 def Brazil 0

Brazil and Switzerland qualify for the round of 16.

Group H

Uruguay 0 drew South Korea 0
Portugal 3 def Ghana 2
Ghana 3 def South Korea 2
Portugal 2 def Uruguay 0
South Korea 2 def Portugal 1
Uruguay 2 def Ghana 0

Korea Republic and Portugal qualify for the round of 16
Last edited by StevieG on Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:11 am, edited 20 times in total.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

England smoked Iran. It didn’t help Iran that their keeper got a concussion and had to leave but it probably didn’t matter all that much.

Senegal v Netherlands was a very good game. A lot closer than the score made it look. Netherlands got both goals after 80 minutes.

It’s always the same with the USMNT. Big hype going in and under performing.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It is interesting that England have been criticised for having a boring game style, but I find their style very attractive these days. And the scoreboard certainly agrees! All teams should have a few goalkeepers that are equally as good as each other, so yeah, I don't think the Iran keeper change made much difference.

I watched the second half of USA v Wales, that was a good game too. Although they were all dropping like flies near the end from cramp, presumably due to the heat. Apparently USA dominated the first half - Wales definitely came back hard in the second.

Senegal have been predicted to go well - I'm not surprised after watching that game. Both teams looked dangerous.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Last night's games included a nil all draw between Tunisia and Denmark, which I watched. For no goals, it was a really interesting game. Denmark are fancied to go most of the way in the World Cup, but Tunisia were ferocious, and also played better in my opinion.

Saudi Arabia caused the biggest upset of the tournament by defeating Argentina 2-1. Argentina were just cruising but Saudi Arabia scored two excellent goals.

The other one I watched was Australia v France. Bottom ranked versus top ranked. Australia shocked the world champions by going 1-0 up in the first 10 minutes. After that, France dominated and ended up winning 4-1.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Another huge upset last night with Japan beating Germany 2-1. I didn't watch the game as it was on midnight my time, but looking at the highlights, it seemed Germany were in control and Japan completed a dream comeback.

Spain absolutely destroyed Costa Rica 7-0.

I watched the second half of Belgium v Canada. Although Belgium won, I thought Canada were the better team. They just couldn't finish in front of goal, whereas Belgium could.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I keep missing the interesting parts of the games. I was tuned in for a lot of the first half of both the Saudi Arabia v Argentina and the Germany v Japan games but was drawn away and missed the comebacks. I thought the Canadians played very well but it was just a momentary loss of concentration that created the Belgian goal and lost the game for Canada.

I’ll miss the latter two games tomorrow, we’ll be on the road for Thanksgiving dinner. A shame, I’d like to watch Ghana v Portugal.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, you missed a great match in Portugal v Ghana :D I didn't watch it live as it was on at 3am my time - I watched the 25 minute mini match this morning.

Most of the action happened in the last half an hour or so. Portugal won 3-2, but Ghana could have stolen it at the end when the Portugal goalie didn't seem to be aware that the Ghana forward was close by.

And we have the goal of the tournament so far - Brazil's Richarlison scoring a spectacular goal - Richarlison's goal

I didn't see any of the Uruguay v South Korea game. I'm not much of a fan of Uruguay.

That's the end of round 1. Tomorrow (9pm tonight my time) begins the 2nd round.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The Wales v Iran game was probably the most entertaining one I’ve seen so far (as a neutral spectator). Both teams were desperate to win, and gave their all and more, it was fully end-to-end - no structured build ups from the back. Iran scored a great goal in the 98th minute, and then again a couple of minutes later to seal a 2-0 victory. Their jubilation was beautiful to watch - Wales’ devastation heartbreaking to watch.

The England - USA nil all draw was a huge let down after the previous exciting game. USA were the better team, England reverted to boring play and did just enough to hold their opponents out. It’s a better result for England than the US.

I watched the highlights of Senegal’s 3-1 win over Qatar, which eliminates Qatar from the round of 16. Didn’t see the 1-1 draw between Netherlands and Ecuador.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I saw a little bit towards the end of the Iran v Wales game. It was good. Qatar played closer than the score would indicate. Ecuador also played well. The game between them and Senegal in the next round will be one to watch. The US played much better this game than they did against Wales. They will have to beat Iran to advance though that may be a tall order.

I’m up early watching Australia up 1-0 at the half. The early game starts at 4 am so I’m up about an hour before I usually am. Argentina v Mexico looks like the other game to make time for today.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Australia played really well in the first half. Then Tunisia came at them, hard. The Aussies desperately hung on to record a 1-0 win (so tense when you're actually supporting one of the teams!)

Poland recorded a 2-0 victory over Saudi Arabia which makes that group pretty interesting. Argentina got over Mexico 2-0. Messi scored a beautiful goal, as did Fernandez with sublime skill and accuracy.

France saw off Denmark with a 2-1 win, both goals scored by Mbappe, who is shaping up as one of the players of the tournament. This win means that France are already through to the next round.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Things aren't going to plan for many Countries in this World Cup!

The Japan v Costa Rica game was probably the most boring game I've seen so far. Japan were slow and ineffective. Costa Rica were definitely better, but didn't seem to have any idea what to do when they went forward. As it turned out, Costa Rica caused another major upset by winning 1-0. Japan started playing well near the end, but too late.

Morocco caused a huge upset by beating Belgium (ranked 2 in the world at the moment) 2-0. Croatia cruised past Canada 4-1 after conceding early. That officially puts Canada out of the World Cup.

The Spain v Germany game was entertaining. Sometimes the big nation games can be a bit cautious, but since Germany needed to win, or at least a draw, they pressed hard which opened the game up. Spain scored first, which made it extremely difficult for Germany - but the equaliser was scored near the end. This means Germany are still in it - they need to win their last game and hope results go their way to get through.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

We're getting to the pointy end of things now :D

This is where some teams must win, and the desperation increases which usually means some amazing games. I watched Cameroon v Serbia play out a 3-3 draw. Initially I wasn't impressed - Cameroon were rolling around all over the place as if they'd been assaulted every time there was a strong tackle. They scored first, but then Serbia scored two in quick succession to go to the half time break 2-1 up. This was the best thing for the game - no time to roll around on the ground when you're chasing the game :D Serbia looked in control and scored a third, and then Cameroon beat the offside trap twice to come back to 3-3.

I watched the highlights of Korea Republic v Ghana - another game where both teams needed to win. It looked like an epic with Ghana scoring the winner to come away with a 3-2 victory. 10 minutes stoppage time at the end of the second half!

I didn't see the Brazil 1-0 win over Switzerland. I did watch most of Portugal's 2-0 defeat of Uruguay. That was an entertaining game. Portugal's Bruno Fernandez looks to me to be far and away the most effective player in their team.

That's the end of round 2. At this stage, France, Brazil and Portugal are definitely through to the round of 16, with Canada and Qatar definitely out. All other spots are still up for grabs.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The equation is straightforward for the 2 games Ecuador v Senegal and USA v Iran: the winner gets through.

Ecuador game is on 2am my time so I won’t be watching that, but I hope to watch USA which is 6am for me.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I was kind of hit and miss watching the games the last couple of days. I gave up on Cameroon v Serbia before it got good. Saw some of Brazil in the first half. Today the rubber hits the road. Ecuador v Senegal should be good. US v Iran should also be good.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The US hang on to qualify for the next round. Iran came at them with everything in the second half, but overall I thought the US deserved it. Senegal also progress with a 2-1 win over Ecuador.

The Netherlands and England both cruised into the next round with easy wins. So, so far we have Netherlands v USA and England v Senegal in the round of 16.

Next matches are less clear-cut. Tunisia v France and Australia v Denmark. If Australia win, they're through. All other scenarios depend on the other result. If Denmark win, they're most likely through unless Tunisia upset France. If Australia draw, they'll need France to either win or draw. Too many options!

Poland v Argentina and Saudi Arabia v Mexico. Poland need a draw or better to qualify. Even a loss might get them there, but it will depend on the other result. Both Saudi Arabia and Argentina need a win to get through. Even Mexico have a chance if they win and Argentina lose...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

StevieG wrote:The US hang on to qualify for the next round.
2 points spread over 3 games. Advance them!

... Football*. Gah.

------------------------------
* Soccer
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

They're known as "goals" wf :P 5 points over 3 games, ie. one win and two draws, so yeah, advance them! We get similar complaints from people in Australia who prefer Aussie Rules Football because the scorecard is higher - they'd prefer to see 100 points scored by a bunch of thugs (they're not really thugs of course, but if I were ignorant about the game, I might generalise it thus), than 2 or 3 goals scored because it is so much harder to get a goal. Instant gratification takes too long, I guess :D

So, a huge few games have just been played. Australia have qualified for the round of 16 in the 2nd time in their history, beating Denmark 1-0. Denmark dominated possession but couldn't finish, and Australia pounced on one of their few opportunities. In the other game in the group, Tunisia upset France 1-0, although considering 9 of France's top players were being rested, it isn't that surprising. Probably a sensible, if pretty arrogant, move by the French.

Group C was epic. Argentina needed to win to qualify, which they did 2-0 to Poland. Poland could lose as long as Mexico didn't win by too much against Saudi Arabia. Mexico were up 2-0 into stoppage time, and desperately trying to get a third goal, which would have got them through (but, in this game, it isn't as easy as, say, Aussie Rules Football, etc to just get a goal). Saudi Arabia scored late to squash any hopes for Mexico.

Next up we have Croatia v Belgium and Canada v Morocco. Croatia, Morocco and Belgium all have a chance to get through depending on the results. In Group E we have Japan v Spain and Costa Rica v Germany. All teams have a theoretical chance of qualifying for the next round. Germany are in trouble, but a decent win could get them through.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Group E was as dramatic as you can get. This part of the World Cup produces the best games. Japan v Spain at the same time as Germany v Costa Rica. Both Spain and Germany went ahead 1-0 early in the first half. If scores remained like this, both Spain and Germany would advance. But then early in the second half, Japan turned the game around with 2 quick goals, and Costa Rica also scored 2 quick goals. In this scenario, both Japan and Costa Rica would go through (eliminating Spain and Germany). Germany had to win, and needed Spain to at least draw. Germany quickly scored another couple and ended with a 4-2 victory, but Spain couldn't equalise which meant that Spain and Germany ended on the same number of points, but Spain had a superior goal average after their 7-0 drubbing of Costa Rica in the first game. So, in the end, Spain and Japan advance, leaving Germany and Costa Rica to go home.

Group F was pretty exciting too, with Croatia and Morocco advancing and Belgium eliminated along with Canada.

Next we have the final matches of round 3 before the next phase. Korea Rebublic v Portugal - Korea need a win to have any chance of qualifying. Ghana v Uruguay - similarly Uruguay must win for any chance. A win for Ghana will guarantee them passage into the next round. And in Group G, we have Brazil v Cameroon where Cameroon have it all to do, and Serbia v Switzerland - same with Serbia.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

More drama to complete the group stage! Uruguay beat Ghana 2-0 and looked to be cruising into the round of 16, when Korea Republic pulled some magic from somewhere to go ahead against Portugal. It was satisfying (as a Uruguay "disliker") to see Uruguay make substitutions to their backline, thinking they had it in the bag, only to desperately try to get a third goal. My least favourite "star" - Luis Suarez - was suitably dejected at the end. That is most likely the last we'll see of him, and I may be able to re-evaluate my opinion of the Uruguay team in years to come.

Serbia v Switzerland was a great game, with Switzerland coming away with a 3-2 victory to qualify for the round of 16. Serbia proved themselves to be bad losers, terrible sports - which doesn't really surprise me, but it was sad to see it happen. Cameroon are out, but they can console themselves with a victory over the possible champions, Brazil.

So, on to the round of 16 knockout stage. :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Sports”