A Dark And Hungry God Arises 34 - Nick [5]

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

A Dark And Hungry God Arises 34 - Nick [5]

Post by Cord Hurn »

Nick Succorso leaves Trumpet to walk along the visitor berth passageways of Billingate, and he is considering going to the Amnion sector of Thanatos Minor to report on the activities and plans of Angus and Milos. But he considers it would make him looked trapped and outmaneuvered, and that his reputation would suffer as a result. Further, he realizes that Angus has hinted that Milos regularly reports to the Amnion, so there's nothing new he can tell them himself. He doesn't see how he has anything for bartering with the Amnion.

So, Nick decides to head towards Captain's Fancy. But when he gets there to his ship's airlock, he finds he is blocked from entering by two guards sent by the Bill. (One guard resembles a gorilla, and one has a video bugeye prosthesis implanted where his left eye should be.) The guards tell him to check with the Bill as to why he can't go aboard, and Nick says he will do that, and leaves. While Nick was close to despair for a moment when talking to the guards, he sees hope in that the Bill isn't arresting him. He continues to walk away from his ship, goes around a corner (out of sight of the guards) and nearly runs into Mikka Vasaczk, Vector Shaheed, Sib Mackern, and Mikka's brother Ciro ("Pup").

Nick focuses on Mikka and ignores the others. He says he was looking for them, and to come on with him, because there's work to do. Mikka grabs his arm and says they don't work for him anymore, because he's made it clear he considers them all expendable in the service of questionable goals. Mikka says they are going to stop Nick and that he can't kill them without the Bills guards stopping him, and without letting the Bill know through his bugeyes something Nick doesn't want him to know. Mikka points out he might have to kill them to keep them from talking to either Sorus or Angus.

Nick insists to Mikka that he is not going to try to kill her, because he needs her and the others. He also tells them that the Bill has nothing to offer but a life in the stinking hole of Billingate, and that Sorus is a longtime servant of the Amnion, too treacherous to be worth their time contacting.

Another small step to the side. Now Pup was in range. He would make a good hostage. A quick grab; quick pressure on the carotid arteries in his neck. Then Mikka would do anything Nick wanted. For a minute or two, anyway.

Her brother pressed against the wall as if he were cowering. His eyes flinched back and forth between Nick and Mikka.

"As for Captain Thermo-pyle--"

Sib took Nick by surprise. Nick had decided long ago Sib Mackern was no threat: the same fear which enabled him to go beyond his training and talents at the data station would also paralyze him. So Nick focused his attention exclusively on Mikka. He couldn't react in time as Sib whipped forward, caught Pup's wrist, and jerked the kid out of reach.

Mikka swung Pup behind her and faced Nick as if she meant to hurl herself at his throat.

Nick adjusted his balance slightly, let her see that he was ready. Like an avatar of the man he used to be, he remarked, "I think I've finally figured this out. You're the ones who let Morn out of her cabin so she could rig that ejection pod. You've all been working against me at least that long.

"But you know something? I don't care. I really don't give a shit. You still haven't got a clue what's going on here. You're floundering around in the dark, instead of using our brains to keep yourselves and maybe Captain's Fancy and all the rest of us alive."

"Why don't you tell us, Nick?" Vector countered steadily. "Why don't you give us one of your so-called clues"--he compressed more venom into that one word than Nick had ever heard from him--"instead of keeping them all to yourself?"

"Because," Nick drawled back, "I don't want the Bill to hear me.

"But you mentioned Captain Thermo-pyle. As it happens, I'm on my way to see him right now. Why don't you come along? Once we're aboard his ship, you'll get more clues than you'll know what to do with."

"Mikka, no," Pup panted urgently. "It's a trick. You said yourself this stinks. Why are Thermopyle and Taverner together? What's going on? He's trying--"

"Answer the kid," ordered the gorilla as he stepped past the corner, waving his impact rifle, "asshole. Tell everybody what's going on."

Gasping, Sib jumped to the illusory protection of the wall. As if he were sliding, Vector eased out of the way.

As solid as a boulder, the guard planted himself beside Mikka and Pup, and aimed his gun at Nick's belly.

Nick is secretly pleased that the guard came up to him away and out of sight of the other guard, for he had silently vowed to kill one of them if he could, and he is ready for this opportunity. As a distraction, he tells Mikka to take the gun from the gorilla guard and shove it up the guard's ass. Mikka jumps back with arms up to show she has no weapons, but Nick was counting on her to react that way. It's enough of a movement to distract the guard, and Nick decisively dispatches the gorilla by kicking in his windpipe (and grabbing his resultantly airborne gun).

While Nick would love to shoot his former crewmembers, he knows he needs them for what Angus' (the UMCP's) mission to rescue Morn. So he tells them they have just ten seconds to decide to follow him towards Angus' ship before more of the Bill's soldiers arrive to take away all their choices. He walks, then starts running to, the airlock to Trumpet, as Mikka reports there are several of the Bill's guards coming while hauling mining laser equipment. Mikka, Sib, Pup, and Vector speed up their pace in following Nick, although Vector is still held back from going much faster than a walk because of his arthritis. Nick reaches the comm speaker for Trumpet quickly after arriving at its airlock door.

With the heel of his hand, he toggled the external intercom.

"This is Nick." In spite of his urgency, he managed to sound almost relaxed. "This is Nick. Let me in. I've changed my mind. And I've brought some help."

No one answered. The speaker emitted an impalpable whisper of static. The lock didn't open.

Bootheels thudding, Mikka came to his side. Sib and Pup joined her; Vector doggedly brought up the rear.

"If I were you," Nick drawled into the intercom, "I would listen to me. You could use help.

"Oh, by the way, I think I should mention that there's a platoon of guards heading this way. They've got mining lasers. The Bill is going to peel you open like a vein of cesium."

You flagrant sonofabitch, you'd better know what you're doing!

With a whine of servos, the lock began to cycle.

Mikka shoved Pup headlong through the opening; nearly dived after him. Nick nodded Vector and Sib ahead of him as if he meant to cover them with his rifle; as if he cared what happened to them. Pirates with swashbuckling reputations did things like that. As Mikka keyed the lock to close the outer door and open the inner, he stepped briskly inside.

Before the lock sealed, he caught a glimpse of guards at the end of the access passage.

They were definitely coming this way.

Mikka asks what now, but Nick doesn't answer. Nick reflects that the Bill has forced him to consider his ship and all his crew on it expendable, and he vows a vengeance against the Bill for this.

Pirates with swashbuckling reputations did things like that. Nick's always the legendary star in the movie that's regularly running through his mind, isn't he? He makes sure to keep playing the part as the lift takes them amidship, and he smoothly saunters and to the bridge companionway, and down the treads to the command chair.

Angus sees Nick and tells him if he thinks he can take over with just five people and a gun he's delusional. Nick giggles and tosses Angus the gun, which the latter holds negligently. Davies looks with hate at Nick and tells Angus, "You were right." Davies' expression gives the impression he has insulted Nick.

Nick ignored the boy.

"Youve got it wrong," he said steadily. "I told you I changed my mind. I didn't want any part in this operation because I didn't think it had a chance. I didn't feel like getting killed for the sake of your gonads. But now we've got help." He nodded at Mikka and her companions. "Seven of us might actually be able to do it.

"I'm willing to give it a try. Unless you want to pretend you can pull it off on your own."

"Pull what off?" Mikka demanded harshly. "What operation? What the fuck are you bastards talking about?"

Angus gave a brutal grin. His eyes didn't shift from Nick's. "These your people?"

Nick nodded.

Angus snorted through his teeth. "I don't think they like you very much anymore."

"I said, what operation?" Mikka yelled. Her anger and desperation seemed to burn the air of the bridge.

Nick didn't look at her. He met Angus' grin with a smile of his own.

"You'll like it," he answered as if he were happy at last. "We're going to rescue Morn."

Mikka's stunned silence at his back was as loud as a shout. Sib Mackern took a shuddering breath like a man on the verge of tears. Softly Vector whispered, "Oh, my aching joints."

Nick stood still, waiting for Angus to reject his help; daring Angus to say no.

But Angus didn't. Over his shoulder, he said to Davies, "He's right. We need the help."

Nick went on smiling like his scars.
Despite Nick's manner as a calm and decisive leader and weapon, he seems diminished from the swashbuckling rescuer he was in The Real Story. He's ready to violently threaten Pup for temporary cooperation from Mikka. He's going to rescue Morn a second time because the Bill has left him no choice. He seems to have the upper hand over Angus and everybody else right now, but how long can THAT last for him?

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”