The Menu

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

The Menu

Post by Rigel »

Did no one else see this yet?

Ralphes Fiennes plays a chef dedicated to haute cuisine, fed up with both the bastardization of his craft and the indifference of those who supposedly appreciate it (diners and critics). He decides to serve one final meal, specifically tailored to each of the guests in attendance, and then... Well, it's a comedy-horror, so it doesn't end well!

While I enjoyed the film overall, I found the pacing a bit lumpy. There were some brilliant moments (the cheeseburger!), but much of it was just a slog. Moments of brilliance interspersed throughout tedious filler; much like a Kevin Smith film in that regard.

But worth checking out at least once, if you're in a dark mood.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

That was a crazy movie. I loved it so much (but I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith prior to his weight loss and stonerhood, so...). My ex-girlfriend owned two restaurants, and that was completely in the back of my head as I watched the movie. I wish it would've had a little more nuance and punch, but overall, it's one of the movies from last year that will probably stick with the most, not least of all because I'm a huge fan of Top Chef, Tournament of Champions, etc.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Skyweir
Lord of Light

The Menu

Post by Skyweir »

oh yeah I saw it and enjoyed it ~ the cheeseburger was an odd *out* ~ I certainly didn’t see that possibility as an exit strategy lol 😂

I thought is was pretty good. I was ok with the pacing though some sections were a bit fraggy ~ in particular the driving force behind the concept was a bit iffy and seemed to stall a few times.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

The Menu

Post by sgt.null »

I'm likely going to watch it on a day off.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

The Menu

Post by samrw3 »

It was overall a good movie. Some pacing was a little slow. I felt there should have better indication of who the young man was. I am pretty convinced I know but felt unsatisfied that I was not 100%.

I think the cheeseburger was brilliant. It was more about appreciating a well made food item then all the frills and eccentricities' just trying to be on uppish. The ending left some questions of just how much different people knew about the ending Lets just say even if I considered cooking the finest art on Earth would I agree to be iwilling to be part of that type of ending
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Menu

Post by peter »

I saw it and enjoyed it up to a point.

Not enough however that on discovering this thread, I can recall enough (many months later) to make a worthwhile response to the posting. This in itself perhaps says all that needs to be said about the film.

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”