Lost Book of Q

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Lost Book of Q

Post by samrw3 »

For those that don't know there are some biblical scholars that feel there is some lost gospel or collection of writings they dub "Q". They feel that Jesus did not say all the words that are pitched as Jesus sayings in the Bible and that
"Q" was dropped or modified to fit in with the designs to make Christ more grand and Savior figure. Their argument is due to cultural, historic, political and religious reasons the gospel writers modified portions of "Q" to fit their needs and then drove their own needs to create a grander scale Christ figure. The basic belief is that Christ was in truth just a master teacher and adopting argument styles known at that time. <<<< please note that all this is high level summary of everything the scholars of "Q" think ..there are some nuances I am dropping or not mentioning here because they take a whole book to explain their theory and rationales. I don't have that space :D

So forgot the DaVinci code this really drop kicks the typical Christian narrative of how Christians should think and believe in Christ.

The book I was reding was "The Lost gospel of Q" by Burton Mack

I am more receptive to these type of Christian side tracks then a "Typical" Christian. I concede the author made some interesting points and am I am open to beleive that not all sayings in Bible that are pronounced as Christs are actually Christs. But my main problem with this particular book was that the author did not approach from a scholarly method. Once he was convinced all the bread crumbs he saw of his statements he seemed determined to make a sandwich and add some potato chips just for fun. Some of his arguments boiled down to well because I think what I think i proved in chapter 3 is true...then of course what I am saying here in chapter 10 is true. That type or argumentative thinking is just a bridge too far for me.

Anyways have any of you come across these type of books and thoughts?
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I’m not particularly aux fait with this theory of a Gospel of Q ~ it’s interesting… and from the quick google, it seems that it goes some way to explaining the similarities of the aptly named Synoptic gospels.
"During the second century, when the canonizing process was taking place, scribes did not make new copies of Q, since the canonizing process involved choosing what should and what should not be used in the church service. Hence they preferred to make copies of the Gospels of Matthew and Luke, where the sayings of Jesus from Q were rephrased to avoid misunderstandings, and to fit their own situations and their understanding of what Jesus had really meant."
But in actuality it’s not unexpected that there are records that weren’t canonised for whatever reason ~ I mean the gospel of Thomas didn’t make the cut nor a significant number of apocryphal writings.

And it’s all further complicated by the fact none of the Synoptic gospels were recorded at the time of Jesus but up to a hundred years later AND the records in the New Testament were not canonised till nearly 200 years later again.

The dead sea scrolls were pawed over for decades. As a result the Dead Sea Scrolls were found to contain a wide variety of content, from biblical texts and annotations to records of everyday life (financial records and register of marriages).

We will yet unearth more records which will help us to understand human history and where that led in our appreciation of the supernal and supernatural.
On March 16, 2021, archaeologists uncovered the first scroll fragments in over 60 years. On March 16, 2021, archaeologists uncovered the first scroll fragments in over 60 years. The remains have been identified as having come from a larger scroll found in the same cave in the 1950s.

The specific cave containing these Scrolls is called the Cave of Horror, named for the remains of 40 Jewish refugees unearthed the first time the cave was excavated.
It’s all incredibly interesting and I suspect we are quite a ways off from assembling a clear picture of the human experience and what it means for us.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sorry, I just can't not see John de Lancie.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Re: Lost Book of Q

Post by Skyweir »

lol 😂 definitely a Q thing
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'