Consoles aren't worth it - at least for me

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

So a few years ago I picked up a PS5, thinking it had two main advantages over PC gaming.

1) Simplicity
2) Exclusives

The second, while nice, isn't that big a deal. The big games either have come to PC already or have been announced to have ports in the works.

The first one, though, really annoys me.

My main complaint is that I cannot play games at 30 fps; Sorry, I don't care if you claim it's good enough, it isn't. It gives me a headache. And a surprisingly large number of games on Playstation are limited to 30 fps (even RDR2, which might be why I disliked the game so much). I find I have to do an inordinate amount of research before buying a game to find out if it will run at 60 or not, with no official sources to check; it's entirely forum posts online. The hassle alone negates any other "simplicity" you get from using a console instead of Steam in Big Picture mode.

It's bad enough I'm considering selling my PS5 while I can still get a decent price for it and building another PC for gaming in the living room.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Do it. :D Consoles, meh. :D I've been gaming on PC for 35+ years now, and never regretted it. :D Give me control over simplicity any day. ;)

(Although I do hear that the new PS VR is amazing...)

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I played a ton of games on the PlayStation and PS2, but since then whenever I buy a console, which is rarely, I play a small handful of games on it then kind of forget about it. There's too much available on PC for the cost of console gaming to be worth it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Consoles are not designed with people with significant computer skills in mind. They serve the gaming needs of an entirely different cohort. Without consoles I'd never have been able to enjoy the literally thousands of hours of gaming I've partaken off. More power to their elbow!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “PC & Console Games”