In pursuit of: TRIVIA (like Jeopardy!)

A haven for game threads.

Moderator: Damelon

Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

I thought is was because of all the nitrogen in the atmoshere, and it had a slight blue tinge to it.
Nice guess....

Hint: it is actually a physical phenomenon, not chemical
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Okay it was a guess..but I do remember something about it being the same reason that a roll of plastic wrap looks blue.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

Okay it was a guess..but I do remember something about it being the same reason that a roll of plastic wrap looks blue.
I've not heard that, and not sure how true it is unless you have very dusty plastic wrap.....
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Well since it's been eleven years since my last phisics class; and about thirteen since I heard the answer to this, can you tell us please, since no one else is guessing?
I'll think up a nice physics one for you if you want!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

because god made it blue?
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Blue light has the shortest wavelength, therefore the atmosphere scatters blue light while allowing other colors to pass through. This scattering of blue light gives the sky it's blue color.
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

Way to go dlbpharmd!

Its called Rayleigh Scattering:

Rayleigh scattering
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rayleigh scattering causing a reddened sky at sunset Rayleigh scattering (named after Lord Rayleigh) is the scattering of light, or other electromagnetic radiation, by particles much smaller than the wavelength of the light. It occurs when light travels in transparent solids and liquids, but is most prominently seen in gases. Rayleigh scattering of sunlight by the atmosphere is the main reason light from the sky is blue.

The amount of Rayleigh scattering that occurs to a beam of light is dependent upon the size of the particles and the wavelength of the light; in particular, the scattering coefficient, and hence the intensity of the scattered light, varies inversely with the fourth power of the wavelength, a relation known as the Rayleigh law. Scattering from spherical particles larger than about a tenth of the illuminating wavelength is handled by Mie theory.

The intensity I of light scattered by a single small particle from a beam of light of wavelength λ and intensity I0 is given by:

where R is the distance to the particle, θ is the scattering angle, n is the refractive index of the particle, and d is the diameter of the particle.

The angular distribution of Rayleigh scattering, governed by the (1+cos2 θ) term, is symmetric in the plane normal to the incident direction of the light, and so the forward scatter equals the backwards scatter. Integrating over the sphere surrounding the particle gives the Rayleigh scattering cross section σs:

The Rayleigh scattering coefficient for a group of scattering particles is the number of particles per unit volume N times the cross-section. As with all wave effects, in incoherent scattering the scattered powers add arithmetically, while in coherent scattering, such as if the particles are very near each-other, the fields add arithmetically and the sum must be squared to obtain the total scattered power.

The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering (~λ-4) means that blue light is scattered much more than red light. In the atmosphere, this results in blue photons being scattered across the sky to a greater extent than photons of a longer wavelength, and so one sees blue light coming from all regions of the sky whereas the rest is still mainly coming directly from the Sun. It should be noted that, despite the use of the term photon, Rayleigh scattering was developed prior to the invention of quantum mechanics and is not based fundamentally in modern theory about the interaction of light with matter. Nevertheless, Rayleigh scattering is a fair approximation to the manner in which light scattering occurs within various media.

During sunrise and sunset the Sun's light must pass through a much greater thickness of the atmosphere to reach an observer on the ground. This extra distance causes multiple scatterings of blue light, but relatively little scattering of red light; this is seen as a pronounced red-hued sky in the direction towards the sun.

If the size of particles are larger than the wavelength of light, light is not separated and all wavelengths are scattered as by a cloud which appears white, as do salt and sugar. For scattering by particles similar to or larger than a wavelength, see the articles on optics and scattering.
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

Way to go dlbpharmd! :Hail:
Good question Lorelei! Took a while for that one. :D
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Wot?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Lorelei wrote:Way to go dlbpharmd!

Its called Rayleigh Scattering:

Rayleigh scattering
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rayleigh scattering causing a reddened sky at sunset Rayleigh scattering (named after Lord Rayleigh) is the scattering of light, or other electromagnetic radiation, by particles much smaller than the wavelength of the light. It occurs when light travels in transparent solids and liquids, but is most prominently seen in gases. Rayleigh scattering of sunlight by the atmosphere is the main reason light from the sky is blue.

The amount of Rayleigh scattering that occurs to a beam of light is dependent upon the size of the particles and the wavelength of the light; in particular, the scattering coefficient, and hence the intensity of the scattered light, varies inversely with the fourth power of the wavelength, a relation known as the Rayleigh law. Scattering from spherical particles larger than about a tenth of the illuminating wavelength is handled by Mie theory.

The intensity I of light scattered by a single small particle from a beam of light of wavelength λ and intensity I0 is given by:

where R is the distance to the particle, θ is the scattering angle, n is the refractive index of the particle, and d is the diameter of the particle.

The angular distribution of Rayleigh scattering, governed by the (1+cos2 θ) term, is symmetric in the plane normal to the incident direction of the light, and so the forward scatter equals the backwards scatter. Integrating over the sphere surrounding the particle gives the Rayleigh scattering cross section σs:

The Rayleigh scattering coefficient for a group of scattering particles is the number of particles per unit volume N times the cross-section. As with all wave effects, in incoherent scattering the scattered powers add arithmetically, while in coherent scattering, such as if the particles are very near each-other, the fields add arithmetically and the sum must be squared to obtain the total scattered power.

The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering (~λ-4) means that blue light is scattered much more than red light. In the atmosphere, this results in blue photons being scattered across the sky to a greater extent than photons of a longer wavelength, and so one sees blue light coming from all regions of the sky whereas the rest is still mainly coming directly from the Sun. It should be noted that, despite the use of the term photon, Rayleigh scattering was developed prior to the invention of quantum mechanics and is not based fundamentally in modern theory about the interaction of light with matter. Nevertheless, Rayleigh scattering is a fair approximation to the manner in which light scattering occurs within various media.

During sunrise and sunset the Sun's light must pass through a much greater thickness of the atmosphere to reach an observer on the ground. This extra distance causes multiple scatterings of blue light, but relatively little scattering of red light; this is seen as a pronounced red-hued sky in the direction towards the sun.

If the size of particles are larger than the wavelength of light, light is not separated and all wavelengths are scattered as by a cloud which appears white, as do salt and sugar. For scattering by particles similar to or larger than a wavelength, see the articles on optics and scattering.
Rather interesting.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

In pursuit of: TRIVIA (like Jeopardy!)

Post by sgt.null »

On The Beach
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “In Pursuit of Mallory”