Festive Meals Throughout the Holidays 2023

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Festive Meals Throughout the Holidays 2023

Post by Menolly »

I’m starting the thread a little late this year, but so far I only did some baking for the second night of Rosh HaShannah.

I tried a new challah dough recipe, which was very good. I also tried a new shape for the crown challah, which can use some improvement, but I think I know what I’ll do next year and updated my recipe accordingly.

To make the crown challah, start with a standard 5-strand braid shaped loaf.

Taking three smaller strands, make a small 3-strand braided loaf.
I find starting in the middle and then flipping the braid over to braid the other side turns out prettier.

Taper the ends of the mini loaf and even out the middle.

Keeping the mini loaf flat, roll it upon itself…

…to generate this pretty rosette.

The rosette is supposed to go along the side of the 5-strand loaf in the middle and then curve the larger loaf around it…

But I had extra dough, so I made two rosettes and wound up with an oval.

Allow to rise covered for 45 minutes.

Brush with an egg wash and add desired toppings. Our household has folks who like toppings and others who don’t, so I made half with and without toppings.

Fresh out of the oven.
Next time I’m going to make two smaller loaves, and bake them in round foil pans, so they don’t spread as much.

The Apple Honey Upside Down Cake fresh out of the oven.

It is so pretty…

The cake calls for baking in a 9” round pan, but I prefer a taller cake so I made the full recipe and baked it in my 8”X3” round push pan, using the longer time of 70 minutes per the recipe. It came out lovely and tall with a tender crumb.

The recipe calls for serving warm with whipped cream and a drizzle of additional honey. I found a slightly warm slice without the additions to be just fine.

A question for those who experiment more with baking recipes than I do. The apple honey cake uses 3/4 of a cup of buttermilk, making it dairy by kosher standards. It uses butter as well. I have no problem with that, as I don’t keep kosher. However, most honey cake I had in the past is parve, so it could be served with either meat or dairy.
If someone wants to make the recipe, I don’t suggest changing it as it is wonderful as is. However, I’m finding I’m missing the bitterness of the coffee in the cake. Do you think I can reduce the buttermilk to a half a cup, and replace the quarter cup with cooled brewed espresso? Or would that change the flavor profile too much?

Return to “The Galley”