Falling In Reverse

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Falling In Reverse

Post by TheFallen »

This is another band I've recently got very much into. I'm a big fan of the fact that it's nigh impossible to fit them into any one genre (or two...or three for that matter). Again I urge anyone who doesn't know them to dive into at least some of the later tracks listed below.

FIR have been around for about 15 years, with their first album (The Drug In Me Is You) being released in 2011. Their early material wasn't particularly attention-worthy at all - think early Blink 182, Green Day or Sum 41. Fairly superficial pop-punk, not taking itself at all seriously - here are a couple of relatively fun examples (which I've chosen for reasons that will become clear later):-

Falling In Reverse - The Drug In Me Is You (2011)
Falling In Reverse - I'm Not A Vampire (2011)

FIR's 2nd and 3rd albums - Fashionably Late (2013) and Just Like You (2015) - have in my book at least almost nothing to merit them. The band's style has moved on to incorporate more rap, metalcore and even electronica, but they're taking themselves almost laughably seriously without any grounds for doing so. The one track that shows early signs of a more profound direction that they would eventually take is this one from Just Like You, written by lead singer Ronnie Radke (a divisive character, to say the least) about his brother who died in an auto accident:-

Falling In Reverse - Brother (2015)

The band's 4th album - Coming Home (2017) - is very different. Much more melodious and mainstream, more synth-based and massively different from their previous material (with one throwback track but with a harder edge called F**k You And All Your Friends, which is a fun listen). Track choices from this:-

Falling In Reverse - Coming Home (2016)
Falling In Reverse - Superhero (2017)
Falling In Reverse - Carry On (released in 2020 but recorded in 2017)

*** Added Edit ***

I had to throw one more track from this album into this, because it's gradually becoming one of my favourites. Here you go:-

Falling In Reverse - Loser (2017)

*** End Edit ***

It's at about this time that FIR and Ronnie Radke in particular took a much more detailed interest in video production - as can be seen from the video to Superhero linked to above. This is something that has stayed with and defined the band ever since.

From this point onwards, FIR have avoided cutting albums, instead choosing single plus video releases instead. They've simultaneously evolved massively in what seems to be a hundred and one different directions all at once, which to me makes them compellingly original. Here's a taster of their later material, with the ones that you really ought to listen to (and I'm confident you'll thank me) highlighted:-

The Drugs Trilogy

Falling In Reverse - Losing My Mind (2018)
Falling In Reverse - Losing My Life (2018)
Falling In Reverse - Drugs (2019) (this one's not for the faint-hearted)

Highly autobiographical and self-referential, this trilogy starts off being much more electronica and almost Europop based, with a heavy amount of rap thrown in. As it moves on, it gets added layers of metalcore, with Corey Taylor of Slipknot guesting on "Drugs".

But FIR haven't finished there... they've barely even started.

The Genre-Defying Singles

Falling In Reverse - Popular Monster (2019) A simply "must listen"
Falling In Reverse - Zombified (2022)
Falling In Reverse - Voices In My Head (2022)
Falling In Reverse - Watch The World Burn (2023) A simply "must listen"

The above four tracks - and particularly "Popular Monster" - are what broke FIR into the big time. Again, it's a huge evolutionary shift with rap fusing into hard rock and screamo metalcore. Plus the accompanying videos aren't videos, they're Hollywood blockbuster style short movies. Among his jaw-droppingly vast range of vocal talents, Ronnie Radke's ability to spit triple tempo bars is right up there with the very best of machine gun chopper rappers, like Tech N9ne and Eminem (check out the middle section of "Watch The World Burn" to see this in action).

But again, FIR have one more completely leftfield (and let's not forget, simultaneous) furrow to plough...

The Re-Imaginings

Falling In Reverse - The Drug In Me Is Reimagined (2020) A simply "must listen"
Falling In Reverse - I'm Not A Vampire Revamped (2021)
Falling In Reverse - Last Resort Reimagined (2023) A simply "must listen"

What's particularly interesting with these is that the first two are FIR songs from over a decade ago that the band has completely reworked into something literally utterly different - the original tracks are linked to at the start of this post, if anyone wants to compare and contrast. You'd be hard-pushed to know that the reimagined versions were from the same band and I'd bet genuinely staggered to find out that Ronnie Radke has the ability to sing as well and as emotively as he clearly does.

In the same vein, the last song listed above is a complete reworking of the classic angry thrash metal/rap teen anthem by Papa Roach as released in 2000 (here's the original) - and oh my God is it different. Created with Jacoby Shaddix's blessing, the FIR version features exactly the same lyrics, exactly the same tune... but the arrangement takes the song to somewhere far more emotive and far more profound. It hits. HARD.

Such is the genre-breaking originality and sheer breadth of what Falling In Reverse can demonstrably produce that I can't wait to see what the band does next. It's been a very long while since I've been this enthused about such a variegated level of musical creativity.

So if you don't know Falling In Reverse, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you give at least the "must listens" listed above a go... I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least.

(That is, unless you're Wos. Because to put it mildly, FIR don't hold the church or God in particularly high esteem).

Last edited by TheFallen on Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Andelanian

Falling In Reverse

Post by StevieG »

Thanks TF. I’ll work my way systematically through the list and let you know what my first impressions are. I’m always keen to try out a band that I haven’t heard before.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
TheFallen

Falling In Reverse

Post by TheFallen »

Joking aside, I'd be interested in your thoughts, StevieG. I know your musical tastes are both wide-ranging and eclectic - and I'm just a tad confident that you'll see a teensy bit of evolution of musical style as you go from older to more recent. And don't give up halfway through - their more recent stuff is off the charts brilliant (in my less than humble opinion).

And if you're up for a challenge and having worked your way through... care to have a crack at naming a genre that FIR reliably fits into? A tad tricky if you compare "Watch The World Burn" (release date 31st Jan 2023) with "Last Resort Reimagined" (released less than 5 months later on Jun 26th)...

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Andelanian

Falling In Reverse

Post by StevieG »

I’m still listening :D

So far I’m hearing Blink182, System of a Down, the Living End, even some Marilyn Manson. It’s Muse in scope. Almost every song is BIG, EPIC, emotionally charged.

This guy needs a hug!

I’m going to listen to more to try and get some familiarisation with the style. So far I’m not hearing a massive deviation in style, but more some serious refining of the art from metal core to rap. There’s no doubt that they are incredible musicians.

I haven’t watched the music videos yet, so that’s next on the list. Overall, I’m very intrigued.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

TheFallen

Falling In Reverse

Post by TheFallen »

Sounds like you're about halfway through my list of recommendations. I'm actually really pleased (but not surprised) that your interest has been piqued - and as you haven't yet reached the videos, I can safely say that IMO at least the best is yet to come!

I'm also interested in the comparisons you've drawn so far and again agree - I hadn't considered Muse, but sure, that's applicable too... and certainly from the emotionally charged point of view that you highlight. (I am a big fan of Muse as well).

And again yes, the lead singer Ronnie Radke definitely needs a hug - and some serious anger and/or bitterness management therapy on top of that (a whole lot better than the therapy he finds, which doesn't exactly go well... you'll see ;) ).

I think you'll have a whole heap of admiration for the videos and become more impressed than you are now... and then you'll get blown away by the completely different Re-Imaginings. Jacoby Shaddix certainly was when he experienced just how FIR had transformed Last Resort into something utterly new and far more profoundly emotive than Papa Roach's original anthem for raging and alienated teens.

Yes, FIR are incredible musicians - and incredibly creative alongside that. I'm looking forward to your next update!

Andelanian

Falling In Reverse

Post by StevieG »

I've watched a few of the music videos, and this is definitely a case where they enhance the music. Actually, while watching some of the re-imaginings, I found myself becoming somewhat emotional. They are high level productions, that's for sure. The Drug in Me is Reimagined has probably had the most impact on me at this stage. I'm also quite a fan of the Drugs trilogy, but I haven't watched the videos as yet. That's next on the list.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

TheFallen

Falling In Reverse

Post by TheFallen »

I have to admit that The Drug in Me is Reimagined also hits me VERY hard in the feels (and you'll understand exactly when and how, Stevie) - as does Last Resort Reimagined for that matter. And it's not because they're so utterly different and literally worlds apart from the original tracks - they'd do exactly the same on a stand-alone basis, I'm sure.

What the comparison between original and reimagined versions does clearly show is the massive evolution in FIR's creativity and breadth. And that goes directly to my assertion that it's totally impossible to pop the band neatly in a box with a genre label on it. FIR's music and style are literally completely different, dependant upon whether a track is raging or despairing. Their range is incredible - you'd never know that such tracks could possibly be from the same band.

Speaking of raging, have you caught up with the videos of Popular Monster and Watch The World Burn yet?

Andelanian

Falling In Reverse

Post by StevieG »

I’m traveling in the next couple of days, so I should be able to watch more music videos.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Falling In Reverse

Post by StevieG »

ok, I have watched a good number of these music videos. Overall, I have to say that I'm overwhelmingly impressed. These videos are epic, and no expense appears to have been spared. I enjoyed the Drugs series. Classifying the band is an interesting prospect. I would say that the current Falling in Reverse likes operatic-style songs with their roots in rap, and a metal finale.

Having said that, they aren't able to be categized, really. They have elements of Queen, Muse, Eminem. Some of their stuff is pure RAP, but then it fuses into hardcore, pseudo-metal, full-on pure emotional roller coaster type stuff. Kudos, I am impressed. Thanks for sharing.

The early stuff is reasonable, but when you compare it with the progression of the last 5 years or so, it pales in comparison. This is a great progression. The likes of Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer have all progressed in a similar way. You almost wouldn't recognise their first albums from their current stuff. I like that in a band - although it doesn't always work, in the case of Radiohead (in my opinion), sometimes they can go too far.

But in this instance, I think FIR have just naturally progressed, and considering Ronnie Radke's persona, and the content he presents, I am willing to bet that this is more than just a pretentious exercise. Thanks TF, it has been an engaging experience!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

TheFallen

Falling In Reverse

Post by TheFallen »

Stevie, you are more than welcome.

I am dead pleased (and also entirely unsurprised) that you ended up rating Falling In Reverse as highly as you clearly do (as do I). I pretty much agree with everything you've said - and especially with your comments on progression. Yes their early stuff was fun - good tunes with good hooks, but hardly memorable - but boy did they ever evolve.

I'm equally entirely unsurprised that you found it impossible to slap a genre label on the band. Even trying to categorise them now, how on earth do you label a band that gives you the rage-ridden chopper rap/screamo metal fusion that is Watch The World Burn one minute, then follows it up with the gut-wrenchingly emotive, (mainly) pared back, soft and bare reimagining of Papa Roach's Last Resort... just five months later??? I mean, what the fuck?

So it's not possible... and in fact, it's pointless to try. Better to just accept and appreciate that Falling In Reverse are ploughing their own uniquely creative and genre-melding furrow.

As I said in my first post, I've genuinely not been this enthused about a band in as long as I can remember and I cannot wait to see what they do next. I rate this band so highly that, after considerable and due consideration, I am prepared to utter the following heresy (which should only be viewed by the not easily shocked - and which will probably send a torch- and pitchfork-bearing rabble to my door, intent on my demise).
Spoiler
Okay so the whole musical world is almost unrecognisably different to what it was 50 years ago. And this means that available yardsticks against which to measure have inevitably changed massively... but in terms of sheer creativity, potential lasting influence and genre-fusing originality, I personally wouldn't put the Falling In Reverse of say the last 6 years that far behind Pink Floyd in its three and a half masterpiece album heyday.
I genuinely believe they deserve the comparison (and I know of no higher praise). And best of all, FIR is still not done yet. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Andelanian

Falling In Reverse

Post by StevieG »

Yeah, I will be looking forward to their next release with anticipation!

And, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to draw such comparisons. I’d like to think that FIiR, and most musicians, would name PF as an influence. I always find it interesting when listening to bands name their musical influences, to find a surprising revelation - usually because their music is on the surface so vastly different to the music that influenced them.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to their next installment!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Vespers”