2023. A Duff Year For Films

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

There is considerable talk as to the quality of films being produced at the moment, and I think with good reason.

I've looked at Oscar's Best Film category, and of the 11 or so films in it (there used to be only 5 - what happened to that?) the bulk are not to my taste at all.

Think of the years big films. Oppenheimer was made much of, but was in truth pretty boring, as was Killers of the Flower Moon. Barbie just wasn't good, and pretending it was because favorites Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie were in there just doesn't work. Napoleon was pretty tedious to be honest and Wonka also (all those coloured sweets and chocolate fountains made me feel a bit queasy to be honest).

No I've got to be honest - it was by and large a shit year for cinema fans.

I saw Anatomyof a Fall recently - much beloved by critics and thought it was dull. And it had no end. Don't you dislike films that think it's clever to leave the audience hanging? I mean, if you're going to dump your steaming pile of crap film on the public at least have the good taste to give it a beginning, middle and end. The cardinal rules of story composition you know? Beginning - middle - end! No end - no story......you get it?

I decided to build my own Oscar's Best Film category (and limit it to five) but so far I've only come up with four films I've enjoyed for the whole year. When I've finished this post, I'm going to go and take a look at the lists of films produced for the year, and see if I've just forgotten anything good - I'll let you know how it goes, but in the meantime, here's my list (in no particular order)

1. SALTBURN. Didn't even get a mention in the Oscar's; what the fuck is wrong with these people?

2. THE HOLDOVERS. Keep an eye out for this masterpiece.

3. LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND. Beware of the old deers.

4. I CARE A LOT. I frikkin bet this kind of shit goes down in the US. I just bet it does!

5. To be announced...... OK - I have it: TETRIS. Good game - Good game!

The above list are certainly worth a watch...... The rest is pretty naff.

(Also rans: A Haunting in Venice.......

And stuff I haven't yet seen; The Zone of Interest, The Iron Claw, Poor Things and Past Lives, all of which look interesting. )
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I’m not trying to build excuses, but I believe we should keep in mind that many, if not all, of these films were in production during lockdown or very shortly thereafter. I think Hollywood was still reeling from both the restrictions on production during lockdown, and the financial hit theaters took during lockdown and continuing.

I very recently attended my first movie in a theater since lockdown, for a two day only event. The theater was mostly empty. Which, as an immunocompromised individual nervous about going to an in theater show relieved me, I am sure is difficult for the theaters to stay open and functioning. Which then comes back and affects the studios bottom line in producing new product.

With luck, as lockdown moves further into history, hopefully a return to form will become the norm.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

There were a couple of movies I watched this last year that I thought were excellent.

Jesus Revolution - Yeah I know its more for Christians. But the story telling was excellent and the acting was excellent.

Sound of Freedom - Loved it as well. Points out how human slavery and child exploitation still exists and is driven by money.

Dungeons and Dragons - light and doesn't take itself seriously. For those that grew up with D&D it was fun to watch.

Miracle Club - Not light-hearted at all. It stars Laura Linney, Kathy Bates, and Maggie Smith. A movie about reconciliation with family and friends and how even those that think they have it all together are really a hot mess. I recommend it.

Plane - Action movie. Put on your "I believe pin" and enjoy.

I will say that with the advent of so many streaming services and so many movies being put out there, the quality of movies has really gone down. Its become better to get them out fast than to have a movie with any real heart or plot.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Take your point Menolly. Yeah - there's been some tough times for films in the past few years so okay, let's leave the jury out on this one.

D&D SoulBiter, was the only one you mentioned that I've seen. It was as you said - fun enough and not taking itself seriously enough to get hot under the collar about.

But since I posted, I've seen two more of the Oscars films, namely Iron Claw and The zone of Interest.

Iron Claw was actually pretty good. Held my attention and kept me on board until the end. The Zone of Interest..... Well, I'm going to do a separate post on this one, so I'm not going to spoil it here. But this I will say. Be prepared, be very prepared!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I forgot to mention ISS (International Space Station) That was a GREAT movie!!! You should stream it when you can. Possibly the best movie Ive seen in a long while.
In a nutshell the below is what its about. Everyone is getting along and doing their research and then war breaks out on earth.
Tensions flare in the near future aboard the International Space Station when a worldwide conflict breaks out on Earth. Soon, the U.S. and Russian astronauts each receive orders (separately) from the ground: take control of the station by any means necessary.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Now that sounds interesting SoulBiter!

Definitely going to check it out.

:)

Actually I have seen Plane. Yeah, fun enough, as was that one with a guy getting chased by a lion in Africa.

But one absolute gem, which I think might have been from 2022 (can't be sure) was The Vast of Night. Oh my God (sounding a bit schoolgirl there Peter) - check it out! Just check it out! (Prime).

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”